irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
11/9/19 10:05 p.m.

I'm just sitting around on a Saturday night and for no apparent reason was thinking about the "opposite" of the GRM challenge. Which is kind odd, since I typically like cars doing fast-type things (rallycross, track, etc), and have never been much of an "off-road rock crawler" type. But just as a mental exercise, what would it look like? Apart from it probably being hard to do in flat Florida....

1. Same spending rules as the actual GRM challenge. It would have to be a "real vehicle" not a crazy tube-framed crawler or something. 

2. Events:

- slow-speed obstacle course (i.e. "off-roading" course like they have at Camp Jeep and places like that)

- higher-speed offroad competition - maybe something like a rallycross but with less sharp turns (due to high-CG vehicles). Something like a mini-baja type event

- I would assume there'd have to be a mud-bog of some sort. Or, in Florida, a sand-bog (anyone been to Sandblast Rally?)

- Concourse, of course.

- Something involving carrying cargo or towing?

3. So what would/could win an event  like this - something that would need to have both the ability to do serious off-roading but also go fast and look good doing it? All within GRM budget (so, Rule out those Defender 90s or G-Wagons...) Would it be:

- Jeep Cherokee - we know they can do some serious crawling, compete in stage rally, look pretty decent, and can be found cheap. Pretty good power from the HO I-6 compared to most other things.

- Toyota Pickup or early 4Runner - well, it would have to be rusty at that price, so maybe not so good on concourse. Plus, man those are slow with big tires. 

- Lifted Subaru or other 4WD "tall car"? 

- what else.........?

Yeah, just a mental exercise. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/9/19 10:16 p.m.

I would say Xterra would be a strong canidate. I see more of those here on the trails than cherokees. Plus they run a lot less than the XJ. 

I would also look at a ZJ as well. early one w. a 318. Again, Very capable with a much lower cost to entry. 

And nooooo, I haven't been thinking about just something like this as I hike the mountains every weekend. 

Doing something like this on a challenge budget may be tough. I can't even find a 4X4 that is still together for 2K here. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/9/19 10:37 p.m.

I was thinking about a GRM dirt event the other day, but it was more rallycross-themed in my head. But this...this is greatness!

For the "higher-speed" competition, look no further than the "tough truck" events that they do at monster truck competitions and county fairs. Some small jumps and a whole lot of "send it" but for this hypothetical 3-event competition, you'd have to be at least slightly careful in order to save it for the mud bog. And GRM would probably dictate more safety than the typical tough truck competition.

For example:

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/10/19 3:13 a.m.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/events/1501-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-cheap-truck-challenge/

"The premise is simple: Spend $2,014 (or less) on a vehicle and another $2,014 (or less) to modify it for trail performance."

Not identical budget-wise but very similar in spirit.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/10/19 3:24 a.m.

I will berkeleying destroy you all with the Disco. Hell, I'll do it with 5 lawn mowers tied behind its back. cheeky

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/10/19 8:14 a.m.

I have less than $2k into The Sumo Wrestler.

• It would do great at low speed. 
  • It is slow and tall so it might only be okay at high speed
  • It would be fine at sand/mud bog
  • It should concourse just fine
  • The huge interior and 5k# towing capacity FTW

If aallowed another $2k to invest in upgrades suspension and tires The Sumo could be a beast!  

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/19 8:22 a.m.

tracker/sidekick is the easy button.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/10/19 8:31 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I hopped around in that long video.  At the 27 min mark a Duece and a Half goes through effortlessly.  Right after it a stock Tracker goes through similarly effortlessly.  Later in the 37 minute area another Tracker goes but with a Yahoo at the wheel but it is more the bad driving that kills it rather than vehicle ability.   Heck, that last Tracker is just rwd.  

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/10/19 9:27 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah but the bad driver was having way more fun. laugh

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
11/11/19 4:47 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

I will berkeleying destroy you all with the Disco. Hell, I'll do it with 5 lawn mowers tied behind its back. cheeky

lol, when I was driving today I thought about this thread and was like "WHY didn't I think about Discos.....you can buy them all day for pennies" lol.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
11/11/19 4:50 p.m.

Also, if this ever happens, I could conceivably have my own entry as of today :)

Wonder what I could do with $1500 to spend (ok, the engine is shot but everything else is decent)?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/11/19 4:52 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

There's a lot of cool in that photo! 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/11/19 8:14 p.m.

It depends how hard-core off-road you're talking about. Unlike autocross,  at a certain level of off-roading a lack of skill doesn't result in a DNF, instead it can result in somebody getting airlifted to the hospital. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/11/19 8:19 p.m.

Hm. I might have made a deal for a 500$ Jeep......

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/19 8:37 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

It depends how hard-core off-road you're talking about. Unlike autocross,  at a certain level of off-roading a lack of skill doesn't result in a DNF, instead it can result in somebody getting airlifted to the hospital. 

Any offroad style comp I think would likely require a full cage and harnesses.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
11/11/19 9:28 p.m.

Depending on the rules my Sportage would be eligible. For a tough truck style thing Id want a cage.  Pretty much everything but the front shocks, spacer lift was used. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/11/19 9:44 p.m.
irish44j said:

Also, if this ever happens, I could conceivably have my own entry as of today :)

Wonder what I could do with $1500 to spend (ok, the engine is shot but everything else is decent)?

That looks nice! I've been meaning to start driving mine for the winter/spring for a week or two already. I even opened the door to it tonight and decided i need to do a quick fix on the headliner before driving it or i'll bother myself. It's 39 degrees outside so i punted and jumped into another old mitsubishi (with a good headliner) and took off. cheeky Sooooooonnnnnn.....

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/11/19 10:19 p.m.

I'm think something 80s and domestic full size, rather than something japanese. They're cheap and already come with the stronger transfer cases and axles you'd end up swapping anyway. Sure they're longer, but that's just a little cut and weld away from being fixed laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TXiQ0bADgw1JIt8yasqOsW74dW4I3kjhBXxEZTfs0KZCiUZuI9665NvX2UtpoN0T