Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/8/13 2:09 p.m.

Since readers keep asking about digital subscriptions for Grassroots, we've posted this handy sticky to let everyone know what we have available. Short answer: There IS a digital sub option. Three, in fact. Here's how to get them:

Print subscribers can read our browser-based version for free by clicking the GO DIGITAL link in the left-hand column on this page.

OR if you're looking for downloadable issues, you can go with a digital-only subscription for the most popular tablets:

Kindle owners can get that app here.

And Apple folk can go digital with our iTunes App here.

(Also, even if you don't have either of those tablets, you can download the Kindle Reader software for PC from Amazon and then read Kindle-y things on your computer.)

Margie

Matthew Huizing
Matthew Huizing Reader
8/16/13 9:40 p.m.

I've spent half an hour trying to get this on my new Nexus 7. I should just try the desktop version on it. Kindle stuff seems designed for low resolution, at least it doesn't look right on current generation devices.

Yeah, the normal desktop version looks and works great on it.

Marjorie Suddard
8/20/13 10:10 a.m.

Oops, sorry, missed this comment/question. We just had a new version of the Kindle App go live yesterday, so it should be good to go across devices. Thanks for checking it out!

Margie

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
9/3/13 12:29 p.m.

Even more of a reason that I need to push for a gift of an iPad now.

M030
M030 Dork
9/19/13 7:03 a.m.

How do I cancel my auto-recurring digital subscription? I much prefer the hard copy, paper magazine

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/6/13 3:13 a.m.

bump

Marjorie Suddard
10/7/13 9:06 a.m.

Hi Brian,

All of that is controlled by Apple or Amazon, depending on which version you're using, so you'd need to do that through the App.

Margie

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/9/13 4:07 p.m.

^Safe to assume there is no way to convert an existing hard copy subscription into a digital-only?

Marjorie Suddard
10/17/13 10:11 a.m.

Oops, sorry, didn't see your question, z31. Yeah, sad to say, because Apple and Amazon don't seem to have learned to share that well in kindergarten, we have no way to convert or bundle subs between the paper and the digital.

Margie

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/1/13 5:18 a.m.

I tried clicking the Go Digital back in August and could not get it to work. I tried again last night because of another thread and still failed. I just read in that thread that Joey M couldn't do it either.

Has anybody been able to see the digital version as a print subscriber?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/1/13 7:01 a.m.

I think the problem in my case was that I had not pre-registered for the digital version. (I guess we have to do that separately from our subscription and our forum accounts. This is a bit cumbersome and something I had never thought of.)

Also, I didn't have a physical copy of the magazine with me, so I didn't have my subscription information at hand. That made it impossible to register to use the digital version.

Don't worry about me.....I'm not the average user (i.e. I created my own problem because of my extreme dislike of "sign up for" stuff.)

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/1/13 7:10 a.m.

I have tried to register for it three times, I get kicked back to the sign in screen and it will not accept my user name and password.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/1/13 7:23 a.m.

I'm pretty sure that you need to CREATE an account with the company providing the digital version, and that if you haven't done it (....and I had not) you will not have access. If I understand properly, this is not done automatically for subscribers. Even if it had been, that would not have helped me....I didn't have an issue on hand, so I didn't know my user account number or similar info.

It also has nothing to do with our forum accounts. (logically, because many forum users do not have subscriptions.)

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
11/1/13 7:46 a.m.

ok ... if I go digital, will I still receive my hard copy ?

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/1/13 9:20 a.m.

That's what I'm saying. Clicked the Go Digital button as instructed by Momma, followed links to create an account, put all the information in, got kicked back to the sign in screen, where the username and password I just created are not accepted. I have not received any e-mails.

Marjorie Suddard
11/5/13 10:25 a.m.

Hey Nick and Walter, sorry--problem with stickies is you become blind to them, and since I was traveling to Hilton Head Friday, I missed your new posts.

Walter, yours is easy: Yes.

Nick, yours is harder. The folks who host our ePub were experiencing difficulties last week with the subscriber verification process, but reportedly have it all sorted out now. Sorry about the frustration. Try again and see if everything works. If not, please PM me with your name and address and I'll see what's going on.

Margie

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/25/13 10:38 a.m.
wbjones wrote: ok ... if I go digital, will I still receive my hard copy ?

We have a paper subscription and I can still make use of the digital access so I think the answer is yes...

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
5/19/14 4:49 p.m.

Will you be releasing the magazine on Google Play Newsstand? It's the Android equivalent to Apples Newsstand. Using the Amazon application for Android is kind of a funky workaround and I want to subscribe again, it's been a long time since I've had a subscription (Though I'll probably go hardcopy + digital).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kod0sNomCeC2CDTo8UIaeNGLgrNDHuXgVRoGmjaoDt3AQcwEPpW1ysC2eJjq1I0u