1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 112
einy
einy New Reader
5/16/15 2:49 p.m.

As one of the Ohio guys, the need for a windshield and wiper baffles me. I see at least two "dune buggies" riding around the Northeast side of Cincinnati, licensed, no windshield of any kind at all in sight. Talked to one owner, and he had no windshield at the time he licensed his. I may take a chance and try without to see what happens. If it turns out that I need one, the windshield part will be easy to figure out, but the wiper ??? Not a clue how to do that unless it can be hand operated. Seems like a lot of bs for something that will come off my car right after a plate goes on it. UGGGG !!!

I am planning on taking my Exocet to Carlisle next year, if anyone else is also planning to do the same.

BTW ... Here is page 100 for everyone !!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/15 3:41 p.m.

Wiper is easy. Model T style with a custom bracket that clamps on the glass. Power operation is not required.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
5/16/15 5:16 p.m.

The law in most states that require a windshield and wiper rarely says how large the windshield needs to be, and I haven't found a law yet that says you have to be able to operate the wiper when strapped in :)

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
5/16/15 7:17 p.m.
einy wrote: As one of the Ohio guys, the need for a windshield and wiper baffles me. I see at least two "dune buggies" riding around the Northeast side of Cincinnati, licensed, no windshield of any kind at all in sight. Talked to one owner, and he had no windshield at the time he licensed his. I may take a chance and try without to see what happens. If it turns out that I need one, the windshield part will be easy to figure out, but the wiper ??? Not a clue how to do that unless it can be hand operated. Seems like a lot of bs for something that will come off my car right after a plate goes on it. UGGGG !!! I am planning on taking my Exocet to Carlisle next year, if anyone else is also planning to do the same. BTW ... Here is page 100 for everyone !!

I'm with you on the real validity of the windshield requirement considering motorcycles don't have to have them and helmets are optional often in states that require the windshield for cars. For me the windshield isn't as big a deal since I plan to go with a race chassis and mounting one isn't as complicated as a Sport or base. I plan to go with some form of a removable windshield and a wiper system similar to what I worked on in the Army with Deuce and a half and 5 tons. Possible with a frame that protects the edge of the glass and allows for easy mounting of a wiper/wiper motor. Kevin suggested as Keith does to use a marine or similar wiper manually operated.

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/17/15 6:25 a.m.
Zeitgeist wrote: I checked out the Exocets at Carlisle Import and kit car show. I am impressed as ever. Comparing them to some other kits nearby the prices are so much more reasonable for the average enthusiast. I was surprised that there was only one Seven clone and no Exocets or Factory Five cars represented. FF didn't have any representation at the show. I'm not disappointed as I went to make sure the Exocet was for me and I fit in it but for a show as large as Carlisle and billed as Kit and Import I was looking for more kit makers and more kit cars and builds there than I saw.

There were a few Factory Five roadsters around Sat but yeah - where was the company? Perhaps after dominating the "kit car" market segment they are trying to shed that image and expand to people who wouldn't normally consider a kit car. One FF owner said they were gearing up for a Ford show.

Anyway the Exocet looked great! I was the long torso guy crawling into the race chassis to see if I could fit. It's very promising. I don't think I'd pass the broomstick test on the sport though. The thing I like about the Exocet race cage is that it looks so integrated with the exocar. Adding a cage to a bodied convertible looks so tacked-on.

Now I just have to find 100 hours or a builder...

mdizz7
mdizz7 New Reader
5/18/15 9:44 p.m.

I've heard at least in Colorado that a windshield is technically required but many have gotten away without it. However if you have on you need a wiper. Even just a manual Model T wiper is fine. But if there is no windshield no wiper is needed. Depends how good of morning the inspector is having I guess.

Keith Tanner
5/18/15 9:56 p.m.

It's very clearly specified in the Colorado laws. You can find a copy at your local public library or ask to page through the book at the state patrol office. All vehicles must have a windshield made of an approved shatterproof material and it needs wipers that can be controlled by the driver. There's one exception: cars on collector plates. Manual wipers are legit. No, you cannot register a freshly built Exocet (or Lotus Seven replica) as a collector car.

That said, the state patrol inspections may not be rigorous and this particular detail may be overlooked.

einy
einy New Reader
5/19/15 5:49 a.m.

"That said, the state patrol inspections may not be rigorous and this particular detail may be overlooked."

I'm hoping this is the case when I get mine inspected !!

Papabear
Papabear New Reader
5/22/15 3:38 p.m.

Some updates for people having fuel slosh problems. Just put one of these in a G-machine Chevelle. Made a ton of difference. I think the pump could be adapted to the stock Miata tank with just making a new plate to go into place of the stock unit or even retrofitting the plate from Mazda. There is also a complete fuel cell system from Aeromotive and I think that may be what I go with down the road. I mentioned this system to Kevin Patrick when I picked up my frame this morning.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/phantom/

Pump only http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18688 $585 bucks but if it fixes the problem.

Fuel cell http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/aeromotive-340-stealth-fuel-cells?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=Aeromotive%20340&sw=Aeromotive%20340%20Stealth%20Fuel%20Cells

Different sizes to pick from at a little less than 800 bucks. I think the sizes are close enough to the published sizes on the Exomotive site Warren posted to fit.

Keith Tanner
5/22/15 3:43 p.m.

The magic new Hydramat would probably be pretty effective at a lower price point. We didn't use it on the XXXocet because it was out of stock.

At the Mitty Skidpad challenge, I ran the car with about 2 gallons in the tank after the baffle modifications. It would handle about 3/4 lap of the circle at +1g or so before starving. That's not terrible. They wouldn't let me run the other direction.

Papabear
Papabear New Reader
5/22/15 4:02 p.m.

I have yet to see a hydramat in person. I have heard they work but the Aeromotive was much easier to retrofit into a new Chevelle tank as all the fittings are onboard the pump itself.

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
5/22/15 11:40 p.m.

Could you guys help educate me on why a cheap fuel cell like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-293205/overview/ won't work?

Keith Tanner
5/23/15 12:22 a.m.

If it fits, it would work. But it may not provide a reliable fuel supply under hard cornering, as that sump is mostly for longitudinal acceleration and not lateral. i.e., it's for drag racing. On a dual pickup system, if one pickup goes dry, that's the one the pump will pull from.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner Reader
5/28/15 10:30 p.m.

What about FPR and pump recamendations? I'm planning on staying NA but doing a K24/20 motor swap in a year or two.

Keith Tanner
5/28/15 10:59 p.m.
mrvwcastner wrote: What about FPR and pump recamendations? I'm planning on staying NA but doing a K24/20 motor swap in a year or two.

What does the K want for fuel pressure? Remind me what year your donor is, too.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
5/29/15 12:09 a.m.

What size shifter stick did you use on XP5? Unsure what to stick on the magnum I got my hands on. Think I may start with a 6.5 (stock fbody shifter is an 8")

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
5/29/15 2:02 a.m.

In reply to Dietcoke:

XP-5 has an aftermarket short throw shifter and FM's lever on it. Due to the very short angular throws, I actually want to swap in the original Camaro lever on it, just haven't gotten the chance yet.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
5/29/15 3:07 a.m.

Yeah the FM lever is like 3.5-4", that has got to be terrible to drive with. Think ill go with the 6.5 and adjust from there. Thanks

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner Reader
5/29/15 9:10 a.m.

Keith my donor is a 1990. I'll research fuel requirements on K motor. Not far off of ours there is a swap kit that uses our tank & pump i believe.

Keith Tanner
5/29/15 12:59 p.m.
Dietcoke wrote: Yeah the FM lever is like 3.5-4", that has got to be terrible to drive with. Think ill go with the 6.5 and adjust from there. Thanks

It's not. We've tried longer levers and not been happy with them. What makes a bigger difference is a good shifter. The standard GM F-body shifter on a Magnum is like butter and very precise. It's notchier on a non-Magnum. We tried some aftermarket shifters and were not happy.

mrvwcastner, you'll basically do the same thing for fuel that you would on a K swap on a Miata. The pump can probably stay as long as you don't need serious fuel pressure.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
5/29/15 6:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Dietcoke wrote: Yeah the FM lever is like 3.5-4", that has got to be terrible to drive with. Think ill go with the 6.5 and adjust from there. Thanks
It's not. We've tried longer levers and not been happy with them. What makes a bigger difference is a good shifter. The standard GM F-body shifter on a Magnum is like butter and very precise. It's notchier on a non-Magnum. We tried some aftermarket shifters and were not happy. mrvwcastner, you'll basically do the same thing for fuel that you would on a K swap on a Miata. The pump can probably stay as long as you don't need serious fuel pressure.

I've heard great things about the tremec magnum shifter, so I'm going to use that unless it is terrible.

thestig
thestig New Reader
6/3/15 11:19 p.m.

Keith, any word on those side panels that you made for xxxocet? I want some.

Keith Tanner
6/4/15 9:28 a.m.

We need to see how we can attach them with P-clips, and our car is inaccessible right now. I'll try to pull it out so we can move forward with that.

einy
einy New Reader
6/4/15 2:37 p.m.

I'm in the same spot at thestig on those side panels, Keith.

BTD
BTD New Reader
6/4/15 4:20 p.m.
einy wrote: I'm in the same spot at thestig on those side panels, Keith.

+1 I'd still like a set

1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x7Fo5G1p1rNlw6QJ3QOLLQWQC1hVcKMvGidRoIZMY3AM0stbUE1GZ9C8G4lQZN4m