Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
9/2/15 5:11 p.m.

It's possible they are related. Thats an awesome stache

Greg_E
Greg_E Reader
9/3/15 7:34 a.m.

Chassis #101 is ready for inspection!

It's amazing to think that this picture was taken a year ago!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/15 9:49 a.m.

I like the rear mirror solution. Can you see anything that's not wing?

Greg_E
Greg_E Reader
9/3/15 10:07 a.m.

Wing isn't that bad. If anything the mirror sits too low and blocks my front view.

The side mirrors are completely useless. Don't know why the state requires them and accepts these stupid little things.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
9/12/15 10:29 a.m.

Bump for exocets

tvaughn5
tvaughn5
9/18/15 12:55 p.m.

I have been giving a lot of thought to building an Exocet here in the near future. I have some questions that I would like to ask someone that actually built one themselves but sadly cannot PM, I am assuming since I am new to the forum. So if anyone is feeling generous that has done so please shoot me a PM. Thanks

boileralum
boileralum GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/18/15 12:57 p.m.

Just post your questions here, it's a pretty free-flowing discussion thread. Also, check out http://mevowners.proboards.com/ if you haven't already, there are a ton of build threads on there. I am still in the "waiting for kit to be produced" stage, myself.

boileralum
9/18/15 1:34 p.m.

So Warren/ Kevin, whatever happened with the harness that DIY was going to be building for Exomotive? Did it just turn out to be too many variances due to the possible donor year/ engine combo? Looks like I will be building mine around a JDM VVT engine, and I have that harness and my 99 harness to choose from. Trying to figure out where I want to go with engine management/ which version of DIY's PNPPro I am going to buy.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
9/19/15 6:15 a.m.

Haven't seen anything from them, I'm sure it's low priority due to the quantities and margins involved. Pretty much everything about this project is a labor of love. A couple of the guys there are now starting their own Exocet, so who knows?

tvaughn5
tvaughn5 New Reader
9/20/15 11:18 a.m.

One question that I have that I haven't been able to find an answer on is what would you of done differently if you could of went back to the beginning. Would you of bought X? Was buying Y not really worth it? Wish you got the Race(still not sure I'll fit at 6'3.5") instead of Sport? etc.

einy
einy New Reader
9/20/15 5:25 p.m.

The only thing I can think of so far is a wish that I had put grease fittings in wherever possible when I installed urethane suspension bushings. I am just starting to be able to drive mine a bit, and despite greasing like crazy I am already hearing some squeaks.

What wouldn't I change? Going with welded in steel floors (mine will be mostly street driven) and having Exomotive arrange the powdercoating.

Undecided items include maybe looking for the newest pre OBD car I could find instead of my 1991 donor, but there are pro's and con's to that (mainly due to a $250 cost for my functional donor due to dumb luck). Would sort of like to not have the reputedly fragile 1.6 liter rear gear set.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
9/20/15 9:19 p.m.
einy wrote: The only thing I can think of so far is a wish that I had put grease fittings in wherever possible when I installed urethane suspension bushings. I am just starting to be able to drive mine a bit, and despite greasing like crazy I am already hearing some squeaks. What wouldn't I change? Going with welded in steel floors (mine will be mostly street driven) and having Exomotive arrange the powdercoating. Undecided items include maybe looking for the newest pre OBD car I could find instead of my 1991 donor, but there are pro's and con's to that (mainly due to a $250 cost for my functional donor due to dumb luck). Would sort of like to not have the reputedly fragile 1.6 liter rear gear set.

I"m slowly going to go to 100% heim joints/roto joints for this reason (as I can afford the pieces, lol).

tvaughn5
tvaughn5 New Reader
9/22/15 8:33 a.m.

Well I ordered this the Race chassis this morning. Can't wait to start tearing down in about a month after my last AutoX.

boileralum
9/22/15 7:39 p.m.

Congrats! Email Kevin @ Exomotive to find out your chassis #. I heard that #142 is getting started this week. I am waiting for my sport chassis w/ steel floors & double diagonal, chassis #160 (ordered 8/3).

Exo106
Exo106 New Reader
9/22/15 7:55 p.m.

Great to check in and hear the Exocet is still doing so well. I have #106 and it has been on the road all summer. Still have yet to get the rear fiberglass on, been a busy year. But the car is truly fantastic. Even with a stock 1.8 (turbo coming soon) it is very impressive. Looking forward to the day I run into another one.

rharris19
rharris19 New Reader
9/23/15 9:08 a.m.
Exo106 wrote: Great to check in and hear the Exocet is still doing so well. I have #106 and it has been on the road all summer. Still have yet to get the rear fiberglass on, been a busy year. But the car is truly fantastic. Even with a stock 1.8 (turbo coming soon) it is very impressive. Looking forward to the day I run into another one.

Race chassis 108 here. You got yours done amazingly fast. I still have a couple solid weekends on mine left, but will be on the road soon. Where are you?

tvaughn5
tvaughn5 New Reader
9/23/15 2:22 p.m.

I will have race chassis 169. Come on Feb/March.

Exo106
Exo106 New Reader
9/23/15 7:37 p.m.

I am in Knoxville Tennessee. It is close to the Dragon (us 129, curviest road in the US). My suspension is all stock with the exception of some cheep eBay springs, even 140k mile stock shocks, and still can blister most sport bikes through the twisties. Great fun! If you are any kind of close we could meet up there and have some fun.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner Reader
9/23/15 11:31 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsufRcp49V4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr5CnlM8KHA

start video 1 at 4 minutes video 2 at 5 minutes

tvaughn5
tvaughn5 New Reader
9/24/15 7:12 a.m.

In reply to Exo106:

Exo106 I am also in Knoxville! You think I could come check out your exocet some time and maybe catch a ride? I have been trying to find someone local with factory power and that I can ask registration questions.

rharris19
rharris19 New Reader
9/24/15 10:19 a.m.
Exo106 wrote: I am in Knoxville Tennessee. It is close to the Dragon (us 129, curviest road in the US). My suspension is all stock with the exception of some cheep eBay springs, even 140k mile stock shocks, and still can blister most sport bikes through the twisties. Great fun! If you are any kind of close we could meet up there and have some fun.

Unfortunately, I am about 800 miles away near Houston.

I keep going back and forth about using my Tokico Illumina/FM springs setup or my Mazdaspeed Bilstiens with 400/250 springs setup. I just love the way the Tokico/FM springs feel on a miata and the rate would be pretty perfect for the Exocet.

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
9/24/15 2:35 p.m.

Well the journey begins for me. I just placed my order and deposit for a race chassis today. I'll start labeling connections and dis-assembly of my 99 donor. It's been a long wait since I contacted Kevin and asked about his first MEV kit before Exomotive came about. I'm not sure that will help with the wait but at least the ball is finally rolling. Now I need to decide how and where to do my build thread.

Exo106
Exo106 New Reader
9/25/15 6:37 a.m.

In reply to tvaughn5:

Sure thing, I own Premier Watersports on Watt Road. I was actually thinking of driving the car to work tomorrow. Look me up and come on by.

1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zr7ztOYJvnfdtsVPnvCQVP6R3rZXmNHu58kQQP7r2QpRKPg6QG5x7utq5ZPs9tqi