1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 112
ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
4/22/14 1:08 p.m.

Oh, I'm fully aware of the stoopidity of my (our) swap. Warren is presumably just calling it like he sees it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/14 1:27 p.m.

The swap in question is an LSA. Because everyone always likes to talk about an LS3 Exocet as if it's a cool thing and not a scary thing, Ian and his dad took it one step further. Mostly his dad We're building the car for them.

Ian, we had Exomotive leave off a few welds so we'd have the option of moving the engine further back. I'd prefer that over the forward engine placement currently required. We'll weld it up when we're done.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/22/14 1:51 p.m.

That's not stupid, that's awesome. When you guys were talking about welds being different, I was thinking like this

(598/1000 hp)

ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
4/22/14 1:57 p.m.

If only we could get that smogged...

That's great to hear Keith - just another example of how awesome (and proactive) the team at FM is.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/22/14 2:15 p.m.

I meant "stoopid" in the best possible way, hence the spelling.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
4/22/14 2:55 p.m.

For the Exocet somewhere out there there that's in serious need of moar horsepower...

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/22/14 4:49 p.m.

I wish I could drive the finished product. It will be an absolute monster. The power-to-weight will be favorable to the Mclaren F1 LM, Hayabusa, any year NASCAR, Huayra, LaFerrari, FXX...the list goes on. Well, here's the list:

http://www.tinyurl.com/power2weight

"It will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear."

-Mark Donohue

ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
4/22/14 5:51 p.m.

I see a ~800hp "nutballs turbo LSx" on that list. Are there plans for one? Half of me hopes not, because it'd be great to be at the top (for a while, anyway). The other half gets...ahem..."stimulated."

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/22/14 7:24 p.m.
nderwater wrote: For the Exocet somewhere out there there that's in serious need of moar horsepower...

If I remember correctly, a Top Fuel Dragster weighs something like 2150 lb. The Exocet should be a fair bit faster if it had the tire... but I am fairly sure that the lack of wheelbase would ensure that it would only be briefly faster. Faster right into the wall.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/23/14 11:47 a.m.
ihmcguinness wrote: I see a ~800hp "nutballs turbo LSx" on that list. Are there plans for one? Half of me hopes not, because it'd be great to be at the top (for a while, anyway). The other half gets...ahem..."stimulated."

Plans? Actually yes. It's a recent order.

Holdbrooks
Holdbrooks New Reader
4/23/14 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Warren v:

I believe that I'm the one in question there, although it's four digit hp or bust. Twin pte6262's should get me there too. I might have to up my game and aim for top slot on that list.

Now if I could just figure out when it will be done/ how much I owe. I left a voice mail a couple of weeks ago...

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/23/14 5:47 p.m.

You're all good for now. You don't owe anything more until we contact you, which will be 2-3 weeks before your car ships. You are 9 frames away from production, and we're currently doing about 3/week. Can't wait to see the craziness!

Holdbrooks
Holdbrooks New Reader
4/23/14 7:16 p.m.

In reply to Warren v:

Well since I'm getting answers here:

1. What are accepted forms of payment for the balance?

2. Since I have to put in for time off at least 6 weeks in advance and I live in AZ, how long can you guys hold on to it for me to pick up?

3. What is the eta for body work, will I be able to pick it up with the chassis, or have to pay to get it shipped at a later date.

4. Did they get my request to not PC the frame since I will be needing to weld mounts for fuel cell, possibly alterering the tunnel for wider seat and maybe a taller roof?

5. Did they source the v8r subframe already or should I just make a separate order with them since it will no longer need to be pc'd with the frame.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/23/14 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Holdbrooks:

I don't work with any of that info beyond the immediate production list. I'll bring your questions up tomorrow. Sorry they haven't been answered yet.

As far as shipping, we can absolutely schedule your delivery to your convenience. We do it all the time. No powder means we are a lot more flexible (and faster).

linuxd00d
linuxd00d New Reader
4/23/14 8:06 p.m.
Warren v wrote: You are 9 frames away from production, and we're currently doing about 3/week.

Now that's the kind of info I've been needing. Could you please tell me how many frames away I am? F.C. in Tacoma, WA

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/23/14 9:19 p.m.

16 as of today. That was a busy week.

Fun fact: there is an Exocet being built just outside Tacoma right now by one of my FSAE buddies. I can put you in touch if you PM me.

ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
4/24/14 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Holdbrooks:

Wow. Tell us more. What are your plans for tires/wheels?

Holdbrooks
Holdbrooks New Reader
4/24/14 11:41 a.m.

In reply to ihmcguinness:

I am looking in to hub swaps and such at the moment, as I would really like to change over to 5x114.3 since I have several sets already. I would really like to put the 17x10 rpf-1's from my STi on to start since I will need bigger wheels to clear the brakes I need for time attack. Too bad I'm already so deep in the build, it would have been much cheaper to build a track monster Exocet.

I do have a set of 15x18 wheels from my truck but I doubt I could do a 6 lug conversion lol.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
4/24/14 3:28 p.m.
Holdbrooks wrote: I do have a set of 15x18 wheels from my truck but I doubt I could do a 6 lug conversion lol.

You really should link your Bosu truck build from AI here. Start a build thread perhaps...

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/26/14 8:08 a.m.

Hey guys, Kevin and I are back at the Mitty today in the Flyin' Miata booth. The booth is right between the vendor area and the turn 11 bridge. We brought the XP-4 running roller and XP-1. The Catfish is here too!

Stop by and say hi!

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
4/26/14 9:23 a.m.

photos?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/26/14 11:48 a.m.

In reply to mrvwcastner:

Also, I haven't been back to the shop yet, but the guys are a couple cars ahead of yours now. I'll take some pictures when we get back tomorrow to QC them.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
4/26/14 1:27 p.m.

Sweet! I added wheels & headlights to my pallet.

Going to a tradeshow tomorrow for CF helmet & all my basic mechanicals below cost.

What is powering XP4? Build thread?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/26/14 2:23 p.m.

XP-4 has XP-3's guts and gofast bits. XP-3 now has a stock '95 driveline. The plan is to use stock parts to get a performance baseline and then gradually improve it. XP-4 will be an all-out racecar.

jjkarns
jjkarns New Reader
4/27/14 11:42 p.m.
Warren v wrote: XP-4 has XP-3's guts and gofast bits. XP-3 now has a stock '95 driveline. The plan is to use stock parts to get a performance baseline and then gradually improve it. XP-4 will be an all-out racecar.

Speaking of racecars. Mine is almost ready to run (ecu installed, wired) we also cut part of the tunnel out to move the seat in more and away from the outside rollcage and center the seat more behind the steering wheel. I'll have a new blog post for that when I get pics. Also had a rad mount fabricated for a '99 Mishimoto rad. Soon the car will be tuned, aligned and weight set and ready to race. The missing pieces are the body panels and fenders (can't pass tech inspection without them) as well as what we can run for spoiler / splitters as the COT wings are very, very hard to find now.

I just got back from MAM and ran the BRZ in TTD. I have HPT coming end of May where we have an Enduro, Drifting, 5k in addition to our normal race weekend. This would be a great event to showoff the Exocet.

1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LYeyakAFGK2WKErGe6CYkm4Wsu4g0JiX5YD0IAhMQMha9lhNyfEtrP3Uz0urYFMZ