1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 112
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/14 8:27 a.m.

Only that of a Mustang? My Sevenesque felt like a Supercar to 60 MPH, a strong sports car to 100, and an Accord to 125 at which time it gave up the ghost. I'd expect an Exocet to have the aerodynamics of a rolling Briar patch.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/14 8:35 a.m.

Warren referenced CdA, which takes frontal area into account. Mustangs poke big holes in the air.

But exposed wheels and exposed roll bar tubing are really, really messy. I've seen the acceleration logs of my own Seven, and IIRC with a windshield it took about as long to go from 0-60 as it did from 60-80. Such is the nature of cars like these as we both know.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
7/25/14 10:02 a.m.

Lots of black bodywork (popular option, and the gelcoat is cheaper if we screw something up on the first few sets).

ashneyder
ashneyder New Reader
7/25/14 10:13 a.m.

Warren,

I have noticed in some of the pictures around the nose cone, there were dimples around the fasteners (https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10498240_679962188742358_1029413032178214536_o.jpg). Is that something that can be addressed by adjusting the mounting brackets? Are you looking into this? Otherwise I am loving the look and can't wait to see what mine will look like in pastel orange.

Thanks,

Alex

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
7/25/14 10:17 a.m.

We just had the fasteners too tight. It's definitely adjustable. It kills me to see it in those pictures!

lhintze
lhintze None
7/25/14 12:11 p.m.

Warren,

I am ready to order my Sport kit, what could I expect for a delivery time as of now? Also, what is the RAL number you guys are using for all the black bodies? 9005? Thanks, Luke

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
7/25/14 3:53 p.m.

Hey Luke,

Edit: the black is indeed 9005.

Unfortunately I don't have the information to give delivery estimates. Your best bet is calling the office or Info@Exomotive.com

On another note, I finally got some time to put my engineering hat back on today. A couple things are being released to manufacturing.

(Race windshield)

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
7/25/14 4:22 p.m.

So only the race chassis will get a windshield?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
7/25/14 4:24 p.m.

There is a "Sport" windshield in development. It will clamp onto existing frames. No promises on timeline just yet.

The permanent Race windshield shown is due to a couple specific customer requests, and it must be welded on. As it currently sits, glass, trim, and installation will need to be sourced by the customer, but drawings of the glass will be provided. A waterjet would be ideal to make the curves, but it was designed with simple angles to allow use with straight cuts.

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
7/25/14 10:23 p.m.
Warren v wrote: There is a "Sport" windshield in development. It will clamp onto existing frames. No promises on timeline just yet.

Sign me up!

jjkarns
jjkarns New Reader
7/26/14 10:27 a.m.

Any world on spoilers yet? As the COT are no longer easy to find used or new.

thestig
thestig New Reader
7/26/14 10:43 a.m.
jjkarns wrote: Any world on spoilers yet? As the COT are no longer easy to find used or new.

That picture above looks like a new mount on the way for an apr wing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/14 10:48 a.m.

That wasn't a COT wing in the UTCC pictures either.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
7/26/14 12:15 p.m.

APR wing mounts are being manufactured.

Keith is indeed correct. That's just a simple 2D wing we found used that had a 38.5" mount width. Anything between 39" and 37" should be able to work. As far as the bolt pattern, I just built a couple turnbuckles from $30 worth of McMaster-Carr parts. D-U-N, done.

Sourcing left-hand thread rod ends and dual-thread rods would have been nice, but it was much easier just to use the CoT style hole adjusters for angle of attack.

jjkarns
jjkarns New Reader
7/27/14 9:51 a.m.

Awesome work - I'll start looking for some wings that'll work with the style. I'm also NJ bound and reunited with the Exocet (August 1). Sorry but my build had to take a back seat the last 3 months because of travel, getting the old house ready to move, and then coordinating a move over 1k miles away. I don't want to do this again anytime soon.

Nice thing is the new home has over 2 acres of land, a two car garage on the house and a small barn I'm going to rebuild from slab up. Plenty of room for all the toys!

Meierznutz
Meierznutz New Reader
7/27/14 11:25 a.m.

Warren, the windshield looks great. Thanks for all the effort you guys are putting into it. This will be well worth the wait I am sure!

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
7/27/14 11:58 a.m.

Just so no one is surprised, we have worked with APR to offer an Exocet-specific wing with our new mounts. It's a solid package at the lowest price point we could put together without sacrificing quality.

ashneyder
ashneyder New Reader
7/27/14 3:44 p.m.
Warren v wrote: Just so no one is surprised, we have worked with APR to offer an Exocet-specific wing with our new mounts. It's a solid package at the lowest price point we could put together without sacrificing quality.

Warren,

Do you have more details on the price? I wasn't planning on having a wing on my sport kit, but now might reconsider.

thestig
thestig New Reader
7/27/14 11:11 p.m.

I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere on this thread but I can't seem to find it. What is the difference in weight between the sport and race kit?

bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 New Reader
7/28/14 5:29 a.m.
kreb wrote: Only that of a Mustang? My Sevenesque felt like a Supercar to 60 MPH, a strong sports car to 100, and an Accord to 125 at which time it gave up the ghost. I'd expect an Exocet to have the aerodynamics of a rolling Briar patch.

"Only that of a Mustang" That is a funny statement considering how much time and money Ford can and does spend on the Mustang in the wind tunnel. It seems a little like saying gee, the Grizzly 9mm +P rounds travels at 1625 ft/sec while my home load feels faster. Really?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
7/28/14 7:15 a.m.

Drag is not just about Cd. Drag is Cd times frontal area. Mustangs punch a much bigger hole in the air. The Exocet is tiny and as such has a much smaller frontal area. We're not hotloading a 9mm here; think .17 HMR.

I'll ask about wing pricing.

Steel floors add 15 lbs. It would be more but the aluminum is thicker. The cage adds 44.

ashneyder
ashneyder New Reader
7/28/14 9:09 a.m.

Warren,

From the pics I have seen of the XP-3 it looks like the wing mounts are removable. Is it an option to order mounts later? Is there something additional needs to be done on the frame to accommodate the mounts. I am not sure I have the budget for the wing initially, but it is something I see myself getting eventually.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
7/28/14 9:59 a.m.

We weld on threaded bases for the rear wings. Kevin has accommodated that specific request before. I don't know what it would cost, but I imagine it's reasonable.

ImprobableConstruct
ImprobableConstruct New Reader
7/28/14 4:37 p.m.

Finally got mine ordered today! The website submission page was not sending for me using Win7/chrome or win XP/chrome even though I got a green box saying it sent. Tried safari on my iPhone and it went through no problem. Now the (long) wait begins....

linuxd00d
linuxd00d New Reader
7/28/14 4:45 p.m.

My exocet race is shipping in the next day or so (woohoo!). I'm trying to plan the pick up at the freight depot. I'm planning on transporting it in the bed of an old F250 with tie downs. Can 2 normal guys (I'm no superman) lift that chassis into the bed of a truck? And what kind of tools will I need to separate the exo from the shipping pallet? I've never done anything like this before. Thanks.

1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ceFMiOavfI0modtgs8pCa75i8FP9iEgq32tAFwsVtvCXuPzUj1LuQidHj4bT6nbx