1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 112
Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
8/13/14 9:00 a.m.
ImprobableConstruct wrote: I picked up my donor car for $1500 yesterday! 2000 with a rough body and no back window. Was owned by an older lady who it seems was driving by feel. The running gear seems to be in excellent shape however. No leaks and drives great.

We are twins! You got a little better deal on yours though.

The thing that blew my mind with this donor was how the engine bay is cleaner than the body. Southern car that never seen salt!

MattGent
MattGent Reader
8/13/14 9:19 a.m.

If either of those emerald green cars have a decent hood with good paint, and are reasonably close to South Florida, email me matthewgent at gmail.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/13/14 10:01 a.m.

Jeez Greg - that engine bay is pristine!

I need emerald green NB parts too - how do you guys plan to part out your donor cars?

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
8/13/14 10:06 a.m.

Since the chassy is so clean (could use new paint) and the title is clear, I was actually going to build a roll around cart for it and try to sell it as a whole. Hell, its got a brand new top!

I don't plan on stripping it to the bare bones like most people do. Someone must have a wrecked car or dreams to build a V8 car. This would suite them perfectly!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/14 11:09 a.m.

As long as they don't need subframes, control arms, uprights, pedals, brakes, a steering rack, wiring or a fuel system!

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
8/13/14 11:25 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: As long as they don't need subframes, control arms, uprights, pedals, brakes, a steering rack, wiring or a fuel system!

Speaking of which. Are you making/selling Exocet parts yet? Mainly the fuel system and radiator mount.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/14 11:59 a.m.

Specifically those, yes. Please call to order.

ImprobableConstruct
ImprobableConstruct New Reader
8/13/14 12:43 p.m.

Wow! That is clean. I dont have a single body panel that is not scratched, dented, or both. I was planning on just ebaying the smaller parts and recycling most of the body. The hood, right front fender and trunk lid are dent free but the paint is fading pretty badly and the fender has some scratches. My engine bay looks pretty good though. Just a very small valve cover leak. I got the car in Pensacola so it has some very light rust and the aluminum is a little corroded from the humid salt air.

lhintze
lhintze New Reader
8/13/14 1:03 p.m.

I just scrapped my '99 body along with the doors and fenders, got $70 lol. They were taking up too much room and I will probably end up doing the same with the bumpers, hood and trunk if they dont sell in the next month. I got my '99 with 103k for $1800 and will hopefully have around $1200 into it once I sell my parts.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/13/14 2:13 p.m.

Cripes! I've seen used hoods trade for $600, top assemblies $500, bumpers $250, headlights $150 each, etc. You're really doing yourself a disservice to scrap them.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/13/14 2:24 p.m.

Might depend on area, but in my area, those prices would be more like $100, $200, $50, and $40, respectively. Plus dealing with people.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
8/13/14 2:31 p.m.

I would kill for a front clip that clean for the Volvo project.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/13/14 3:00 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Might depend on area, but in my area, those prices would be more like $100, $200, $50, and $40, respectively. Plus dealing with people.

Around here, used parts to repair crash damage often go for about half what they would cost new. Per my local Mazda dealer, new prices are: hood $812, front bumper cover $411 (both need paint!), $153 bumper bracket/upper retainer, headlights $492 each.

Sounds like I need to expand my craigslist searches to the heartland. Sounds like the savings would pay for my plane ticket to go collect them!

ImprobableConstruct
ImprobableConstruct New Reader
8/13/14 7:24 p.m.

I was astonished at the eBay prices for used parts. My guess is I will not get my Exo kit until some time after the 1st of the year so I am going to drive this wreck around town for a few months and see what will need fixing when I have it apart. I found a passenger side tail light for $100 (most of them are in the $180 range) and a window switch for $25 (most are in the $90 range) I figure I can just resell the parts later when I part out the car. I am still looking for a nice clear passenger side headlight (or a foggy drivers side one, it really bothers me they don't match. Damn OCD) Yeah, that picture is of the GOOD side of the car.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/14/14 4:28 p.m.

I know I've been quiet lately, but we've just been busy and I'm trying to stay away from the GRM forums.

Dat surface finish doe: (a gauge cluster before polishing and final trim)

Also, V8 stuffs:

Tyler is doing a really good job with fit and finish on XP-5.

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
8/14/14 6:38 p.m.

Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished project!

Warren what are the measurements of that cluster? There is a Dakota dash that I'm hoping will fit in it.

Tried calling the shop earlier but there was no answer. Had a few questions before I place my order. Will try again tomorrow.

lhintze
lhintze New Reader
8/14/14 8:15 p.m.

Hi Warren! Is the gauge cluster included with all kit orders? I'm assuming so since it's not an option to buy separate.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/15/14 8:47 a.m.

Gauge cover cluster is included. You'll trim it to size, the inside isn't cut out.

The size is hard to quantify, since it's a non-planar complicated spline. In a short answer, it's 13.6" wide and 5.1" tall. You can trim the gauge cover to make other things fit better. Since the Miata gauges curve forward, you may need to fabricate a simple closeout panel.

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
8/15/14 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Warren v:

Thanks!

It might work. This cluster is 14.99" wide and 6.3" tall. I will make a template.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
8/16/14 12:29 a.m.

Still frustrstion in my world. Car wont start thinking its wiring. Sure its my fault. Anyone in portland oregon think they are qualified to sort a very tricky Miata wiring problem i'll gladly take the help in trade for some seat time in my Exocet.

sean castner mrvwcastner@yahoo.com

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/14 1:38 a.m.

I own a Miata and a soldering iron, so I'm sure that I'm qualified.

Seriously though, if you are still having issues I would be happy to lend a second set of eyes some evening.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
8/16/14 10:42 a.m.

i will let you know. Owner of Dynasport coming by today... Hopefully he finds my oops...

SteadFast
SteadFast New Reader
8/16/14 4:49 p.m.

For those of you interested in my windshield design: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/4507/steadfasts-california-exocet?page=9&scrollTo=56083

I will finalize the template tomorrow and send it out to be cut on Monday.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
8/17/14 12:07 a.m.

after weeks of blaming my wiring... MAF! Now it runs.

with MAF unplugged. Gotta replace it now to know for sure.

ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
8/17/14 6:50 a.m.

Looking good steadfast. Can you get some closer shots?

1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YnV7T3w8lbNTEFeBM1gY4zb369NO29VAeltzWAhfE360ex54euGBqO1UWMPKyHeD