1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 112
linuxd00d
linuxd00d New Reader
8/21/14 10:17 a.m.
Warren v wrote: Example of a part from the new production molds, no wax or anything:

Looking good.

Can the materials and process you use create body parts that are matte black (or Frozen Black if you're a Bimmer fan)? Something like the photo below. Or are you limited to shiny/glossy colors?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/14 10:38 a.m.
Flynlow wrote: In reply to icaneat50eggs: I would guess a big part of it on a power track is aero. At higher speeds, a spec Miata is a lot more slippery than an exo-car.

Exactly. Open wheels and exposed tubes are dirty and draggy, even if the frontal area is small. I suspect the aero of the Miata will allow it to pull away on the straights, as drag quickly becomes more of a factor than weight as the speeds rise. At Laguna, the entry on to the front straight is so tight and slow that the Exocet will have a pretty good advantage coming out of the corner, the aero may not be enough to make up the difference in that case. Probably not when I think about it.

We'll also have a chance to compare the Exocet versus my V8 Miata. At our little kart track, they're surprisingly close. I don't think that'll be the case where I get a chance to stretch my legs a little

For the matte finish, I'll bet 5 minutes with a scotchbrite pad would do it.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/21/14 12:00 p.m.

The panels are designed to be very easy to vinyl wrap. The rear tank cover will require three pieces, but the hood is one.

You can also use a scotchbrite, 000 steel wool, or wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper. Keep in mind maintaining the surface will be a lot of work, as you can't wax or clean it normally.

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/21/14 2:55 p.m.

Just a random thought of the day... would it be feasible to replace the clear lower panels with a larger panel to cut down on the drag a little?

E.g. connect to the firewall and rear of the cabin, cut down on some of the turbulence/drag and help keep stones/bugs/road goo/etc out of the cockpit.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/21/14 3:26 p.m.

It would be easier and cleaner to make two panels, the supplied one and another that covers the upper arc. That's part of future product scope. It would be sold as a separate item or add-on to an order. It won't require any modifications to the frame.

SteadFast
SteadFast New Reader
8/21/14 4:28 p.m.
Warren v wrote: Example of a part from the new production molds, no wax or anything:

Looks great, looks like you guys are doing a lot of black bodywork. How about any pictures of different colors? Also are there any pictures of the wheel fenders?

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/21/14 5:01 p.m.
Warren v wrote: It would be easier and cleaner to make two panels, the supplied one and another that covers the upper arc. That's part of future product scope. It would be sold as a separate item or add-on to an order. It won't require any modifications to the frame.

Sounds like the bases are already covered Would the seams connect or would there be a gap? Resolution on this monitor is not so hot so I can't tell if the current clear panel is flush with the tubing and firewall or not...

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/22/14 9:06 a.m.

BIG news from Exomotive on Monday. Should make everyone waiting for bodywork quite happy.

We have had a heavy-hitter friend that made the complex laser-cut frames possible. Well, we just made a good friend in the racecar bodywork business. Can't wait to name-drop.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
8/22/14 11:00 a.m.

Can the side pannels be shipped without holes? Mine didnt line up to the tabs. Just a thought.

Are the newer double headlights left & right? I might have 2 Ls. Low beam is on same side for both.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/22/14 12:26 p.m.

Sean, I think you might be mounting the side panels too far forward. It's actually one of the top questions we get from builders. The acrylic is supposed to rest behind the front edge of the steel tube up front. This is to allow the steel tube to take impacts from rocks and debris rather than the panel. You should be able to find a happy spot that puts the hole on every tab. We have a steel jig plate that goes on every car to place those tabs, and it's laser cut to the same spec as the side panels.

This also should answer questions about air gaps on the panels. The side panels have a small gap to eliminate buzzing and abrasion.

Kevin will contact you on the headlights.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
8/22/14 10:24 p.m.

I tried every combo holes lined up 50/50. No rush on the lights they are safely boxed for now.

ARGuidroz
ARGuidroz None
8/25/14 6:42 a.m.

Warren, I have a few questions and hopefully you can shed some light on them: Are you guys making any further progress with the LS swap? If so, what sub frame is being used? V8R Exocet kit? Would V8R’s tubular control arm kit be worth the cost as far as the weight savings?

I have been reading/researching the Exocet for over 2 months and it seems more and more each day that this kit is ideal for my goals. I am planning a build using the Race chassis, stock LS3 crate motor (for now), over built T56 and a V8R Getrag Rear End kit. I do not intend to auto-x the car. My goal is to be one of the fastest street legal roll-racing cars in my area as this is the scene I grew up in and enjoy. The combination of light weight and V8 power should make this an easily achievable goal. I know if someone blew past me in one of these with an LS during a race id probably shed a tear and some drool, haha! All that power and performance for less than a clean C6 Z06 price tag has got me hooked on this future build.

I hope to make a trip to Exomotive in the coming weeks and possibly place a cash deposit. I have a layover in Atlanta on the 27th for 2 hours and 31st for 3 hours but I know this will not be enough time to make a pass by the shop. =\ I’m just anxious to see XP-4 in person and possibly ride shotgun in whatever chassis is currently drivable!

You guys have certainly engineered an affordable alternative for speed and fun! Can’t wait to get started with my crazy build and see what others will do with this kit in the future!

-Anthony

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/25/14 7:22 a.m.

Good morning, GRM. I'm certainly having one. Here's your first hint on bodywork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qjaod39ws

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/25/14 7:55 a.m.

Downing Atlanta?

And is this also a hint that xp-6 will be 26b powered?

SteadFast
SteadFast New Reader
8/25/14 8:35 a.m.
tomtomgt356 wrote: Downing Atlanta? And is this also a hint that xp-6 will be 26b powered?

Looks like Downing Atlanta to me!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/25/14 8:41 a.m.

uh...saw some green stuff behind a set of shelves at one point, was that it?

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/25/14 9:00 a.m.

Someone post the full vid link, gubmint network won't allow shortened URLs.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/25/14 9:18 a.m.

Good spot, Steadfast! That was a quad-rotor 787B I was standing in front of! Kevin will pen the official announcement, but yes, Downing Composites will be taking over bodywork production for Exomotive. With the huge jump in orders, it's a way for us to deliver the required quantities at the required qualities. It also gives us the ability to explore options such as bagged-and-baked carbon parts.

In reply to ARGuidroz:

Glad to see your interest. We're actually about 10 minutes away from the airport, FYI. We're using the Exocet-specific V8R kit for XP-5, which includes a custom front subframe and trans mount. That said, V8R is working on a new trans mount, and the "Exocet" subframe will soon be the same as the "rear-mount" Miata kit. With an aftermarket bell housing, you can actually bolt everything in without any chassis mods! Credit to Brandon and Keith at FM for figuring that one out.

From what I've heard, the V8R arms in their current iteration are heavier than when they first were introduced. They are supposed to still be slightly lighter than stock, mainly in the rear lower. Also, since they're control arms, a large component of their mass is actually considered sprung weight. They may be stiffer in certain loading conditions, but for me, it would be an aesthetic choice in most circumstances. The best thing you can do to reduce unsprung mass is run a light wheel/tire combo, and then after that use the Flyin' Miata 4 wheel Little Big Brake Kit. If cost is no object, then yes, they'll make the car better.

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/25/14 9:29 a.m.
Warren v wrote: yes, Downing Composites will be taking over bodywork production for Exomotive.

Downing as in Jim and IMSA and Kudzu?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/25/14 9:33 a.m.

In reply to jsquared:

Yes sir. Also as in "inventor of the HANS". Hell of a name-drop. It's just a Mazda/Georgia Tech cuddle-fest down here in Atlanta.

BTD
BTD None
8/25/14 10:25 a.m.
SteadFast wrote:
Looks great, looks like you guys are doing a lot of black bodywork. How about any pictures of different colors? Also are there any pictures of the wheel fenders?

Mine will be dark green, so there will be at least one post later this year with some bodywork that's not black.

Finally decided to join up after lurking for a while. I placed my order a month or two ago through Flyin' Miata since they're local to me. Can't wait, the donor search has begun...

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/25/14 10:29 a.m.

In reply to BTD:

BTD, what RAL color did you use? I've been thinking dark green on a gold chassis would look great.

ImprobableConstruct
ImprobableConstruct New Reader
8/25/14 11:07 a.m.
Warren v wrote: Downing Composites will be taking over bodywork production for Exomotive.

WooHoo. So maybe my body work will be ready when I come to pick up my kit in 2-4 months?

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/25/14 11:17 a.m.
Warren v wrote: In reply to jsquared: Yes sir. Also as in "inventor of the HANS". Hell of a name-drop. It's just a Mazda/Georgia Tech cuddle-fest down here in Atlanta.

I should have gone to GT instead of NCSU

ARGuidroz
ARGuidroz New Reader
8/25/14 11:19 a.m.

In reply to Warren v:

10 minutes from the airport, eh? Whats going on in the world of Exomotive Wednesday around 9:30AM? Lol it would be nice to swing by for a few and check things out! Not sure how much of a PIA it would be though as I have never been to the ATL airport and I hear its pretty massive.

1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KgF63LvixlsbcHPtXy1Ngq812zq7RRtMav8MXMOxQrxDKDmiODmgc1kQylDUqYPo