1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 112
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/14 6:39 p.m.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/27/14 10:34 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

What muffler is that? If it's got symmetric baffles, it might sound really smooth and exotic.

Keith Tanner
8/27/14 10:49 p.m.

It's from Vibrant. It does sound really good - we used to have one on Betty, our V8 2008 Miata. It's a tenor, not a bass. I love the way it sounds at higher RPM.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/14 10:53 p.m.

I'm considering that muffler for my Midlana. Hope it sounds that good behind a turbo dodge engine.

Meierznutz
Meierznutz New Reader
8/28/14 6:23 a.m.

Keith, what kind of mods did you need to make to the chassis? I am doing an LSxocet myself and would love to know if I have to chop up my freshly powdered frame.....

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/28/14 8:03 a.m.

^from earlier in the thread, I vaguely remember Warren or one of the other Exomotive guys specifically mentioning that they designed the frame to fit V8 swaps, they even had a CAD of an LSx and T56 in place.

Keith Tanner wrote: It's from Vibrant. It does sound really good - we used to have one on Betty, our V8 2008 Miata. It's a tenor, not a bass. I love the way it sounds at higher RPM.

Video links or we don't believe you (pls make it normal link, I can't open shortened links on this network).

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/28/14 9:09 a.m.
bgkast wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: I'm considering that muffler for my Midlana. Hope it sounds that good behind a turbo dodge engine.

I'm curious what the routing path looks like internally on that muffler. If you look at the stock exhaust for an SRT4 or any of the performance exhaust systems on turbo cars you'll see they remove as much restriction as possible because back pressure = bad and the turbo doesn't do a bad job muffling noises on its own. Understand that the Midlana provides its own challenges for exhaust routing.

Looking at the Vibrant Performance site, that muffler seems awfully expensive, but most of their designs look like perforated cores with fiberglass packing, which should work well though those are cheap mufflers to produce which is why I question the pricing a bit.

Keith Tanner
8/28/14 9:29 a.m.

The early CAD work wasn't completely accurate. Exomotive later worked with V8Roadsters and determined that they'd have to use the "front mount" engine location. We prefer the rearward location, and after a bunch of fooling around discovered that if you use a Quicktime bellhousing you can make it fit without any frame mods. V8R is reworking the transmission mount to reflect the new location and I believe they'll all be like this from now on.

We did have to put one notch in the cross tube above the transmission, although I'm not sure it was really necessary.

Keith Tanner
8/28/14 9:54 a.m.

Video of the Vibrant exhaust. Not a good video, but the only one I have of the car where you can hear anything from the tailpipe instead of the intake. You can hear the higher pitch on the straighter sections, but for obvious reasons he never really let it rip.

http://youtu.be/nyUoBEtbWyk

jsquared, if that's too short: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyUoBEtbWyk

ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
8/28/14 10:15 a.m.

Keith, do you have any videos of Betty idling?

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/28/14 10:18 a.m.

That sounds pretty good, I'd love to hear one at WOT. Thanks for the long link, network here automatically blocks anything with a shortened URL

Keith Tanner
8/28/14 10:25 a.m.

Ian, I don't. Due to the stock cam she had a pretty low-key idle, nothing worth recording. At least, not compared to the fireworks on offer elsewhere in the shop. I did have one of the writers from Automobile (Michael Jordan) say that "all you need to do to sell those cars is let people hear it drive away from a traffic light".

Here's the idle to expect from the 525 engine found in Exomotive's car. Their exhaust system may be shorter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3B9KtG3lEc

ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
8/28/14 10:40 a.m.

Ohhh man. Sometimes (particularly after watching that video) I think we should have gone with the E-Rod LS3 with the 525 cam. But it's good that we're on the up-and-up.

I did come across this video of a ZL1 with the LS9 cam, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L1suS-FN0c#t=34

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/28/14 10:47 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Here's the idle to expect from the 525 engine found in Exomotive's car. Their exhaust system may be shorter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3B9KtG3lEc

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/28/14 10:55 a.m.

You guys are making me need a V8

Keith Tanner
8/28/14 11:00 a.m.

Ian, your car is enough to even make jaded internet commenters go "...oh, that's just too far". Which is a great thing to see It won't need a nasty idle.

ARGuidroz
ARGuidroz New Reader
8/28/14 1:50 p.m.

Wow Keith !!! That picture answers a lot of my questions and curiosity about the exhaust routing, frame mods, and the use of the bell housing to save space. Just for clarification, is the bell housing that you guys are running the RM-8020 ? If so I wonder what clutch/flywheel combos will work well with it ? Ive tried to google it before but couldn't find a solid answer.

Im going to start with the stock LS3 430hp crate motor as its cheaper and I can always do a head/cam package to pick up 100+ whp if I feel its necessary.

I remember reading elsewhere that you (Keith) wanted to figure out if the TR6060 would fit in the Miata? I have one that I pulled out of a 2010 Camaro SS that I plan to send to Tick Performance to rebuild to Stage 2 specs but convert the tail housing and other pieces to make it a direct swap for an F-Body T56. This should ensure a proper length from bellhousing to shifter center. Im choosing to keep the TR6060 to have the smoother engagement as I plan to drive my car on the streets to hit up local meets and shows.

ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
8/28/14 1:57 p.m.

I thought we'd already established that it's not about need

Keith Tanner
8/28/14 2:11 p.m.

ARGuidroz, the car in the picture actually has a Magnum transmission - basically an aftermarket T6060. It was built into an F-body casing for us by Rockland Gear. They shift really well.

The clutch setup we're using is a special one for the LSA 8-bolt crankshaft, but it's externally the same as a normal LS3 clutch. The QT bellhousing doesn't seem to have any special needs in that regard.

Should have finished the thought, Ian. This car won't need a nasty idle to signal intent. It'll do it just sitting there.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/28/14 4:19 p.m.

I, for one, DO need a nasty idle.

Keith Tanner
8/28/14 4:31 p.m.

That's because you don't have a massive supercharger bursting from your hood.

ARGuidroz
ARGuidroz New Reader
8/28/14 8:33 p.m.

I must agree with Warren ... I think a nasty idle in an already eye - catching Exocet would be a perfect pair =)

thestig
thestig New Reader
8/28/14 9:17 p.m.

Keith, when are we gonna see photos of the new body work installed? I want to see it on a sport chassis :)

I think I'm going to go with shocker yellow over super chrome for my chassis. And black or dark grey for the body. Going to have my chassis powder coated later so I can notch the transmission tunnel to move the seats more towards the middle of the chassis. I wish exomotive would offer a notched transmission tunnel upgrade as it seems quite a few people are starting to do this.

Do you have a price yet for the fuel system setup you guys are offering? What about the radiator mounts?

Keith Tanner
8/28/14 10:52 p.m.

The car's under fairly heavy work right now, so as soon as a piece of bodywork goes on it comes off again. I'll get some shots when it's done, which is scheduled to be tomorrow. We do not have the fenders, and the gauge cover is giving us some fits.

We do have prices for the fuel system, it depends on the year of the donor. Please email for info. The radiator mounts need to be tweaked as Exomotive moved a gusset into just the wrong place on the newer frames. As with all Exocet parts, they're not a big priority to get on the old website (there's a new one coming in a few weeks) so please contact us directly for info.

Keith Tanner
8/29/14 5:45 p.m.

Some bodywork.

1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
igIJui0nHrxFcfnjUgjsoCuEBzaHPj29NC356cfgWRAjSiuN3wmTNcy3u2LhsGLh