1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 ... 112
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/14 4:22 p.m.

Red is stock 1999 cam, blue is MSM cam (the BP5A). Direct swap, car didn't even come off the dyno.

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
10/16/14 5:42 p.m.

Oh wow that's interesting. Normally you see gains in one area of the curve with a draw back in another. The American cam seems to have done better overall.

Keith Tanner
10/16/14 6:01 p.m.

Don't tell MiataTurbo.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
10/16/14 6:29 p.m.

I wonder if that has something to do with overlap that could be dialed out with an adjustable cam gear.

Keith Tanner
10/16/14 6:54 p.m.

We were doing straight A/B testing, minimizing variables. Both cams were at the stock timing.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/17/14 4:45 p.m.

Quick notice: the DIY Auto tune guys are treating me to some drag time tonight at Atlanta Drag way. Let's see some conrods!

I'm hoping for 11s.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/17/14 4:51 p.m.

The BP5A intake cam swap to see the gains requires that you swap the cam gear as well.

Gains aren't super large anyways... never could figure out why people wanted to go through the trouble. Especially on a solid lifter head where you get to deal with shims and all that noise.

clintavo
clintavo New Reader
10/17/14 5:48 p.m.

Must have video!

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/17/14 10:57 p.m.

In reply to clintavo:

OK: http://youtu.be/XoGlYlKiFhA

We didn't make any runs, multiple crashes shut down the event.

clintavo
clintavo New Reader
10/18/14 5:14 a.m.
Warren v wrote: In reply to clintavo: OK: http://youtu.be/XoGlYlKiFhA We didn't make any runs, multiple crashes shut down the event.

Thanks Warren! Perks of the job?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/18/14 9:15 a.m.

In reply to clintavo:

Actually tossed the keys for that one. The DIY guys deserved some fun.

I drove the 305 tune around their business park. Yup, it's fast. Pulls at the limit of traction all the way through third gear. Feels like someone strapped a JATO to the rollbar. It comes in a lot earlier than I expected, too. The DIY guys worked a lot on driveability, it's completely controllable.

The 260 tune feels good, too. It felt very easy to ride the limit, even on very cold tires. Haven't drive the 220 tune, yet.

clintavo
clintavo New Reader
10/18/14 11:58 a.m.

Awesome... with that much power, any thoughts on a taller rear end?

Also, are the tunes unlocked and conservative enough to be disseminated?

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
10/19/14 10:35 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXO-Dt4UGA&feature=youtu.be

Had some fun today with my son shot gun.

thestig
thestig New Reader
10/20/14 1:32 a.m.

Get some plates on that thing and stop by my house. I'm down to the rollerskate now.

Grant

scareyourpassenger
scareyourpassenger New Reader
10/20/14 8:56 a.m.

Is there a dyno brand standard for st2? I ask due to the fact that the dynapack typically reads higher but the results can be made to match other dyno brands power measuring.

clintavo
clintavo New Reader
10/20/14 10:13 a.m.

In reply to mrvwcastner:

Awesome!

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/20/14 11:57 a.m.
mrvwcastner wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXO-Dt4UGA&feature=youtu.be Had some fun today with my son shot gun.

Congrats on getting her running! Pretty fun, huh?

In reply to scareyourpassenger:

Dynojet. I have been told that the Dynapack is quite accurate, and the Dynajet usually reads a bit high. From what I can tell, the cheapest Dynajet, the 224x, is an inertia dyno. That will put us at a disadvantage, as the rotating mass in an Exocet is pretty light and will make the Dynajet think we have more horsepower than we actually do. The DIYAT guys were very aware of this as they tuned the car. Before we compete, we'll throw it on a Dynajet and see if we need to pull more boost/timing.

ashneyder
ashneyder New Reader
10/20/14 12:06 p.m.
mrvwcastner wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXO-Dt4UGA&feature=youtu.be Had some fun today with my son shot gun.

Were you able to get it on the road without the body? Where are you located?

Keith Tanner
10/20/14 12:36 p.m.
Warren v wrote:
Congrats on getting her running! Pretty fun, huh? In reply to scareyourpassenger: Dynojet. I have been told that the Dynapack is quite accurate, and the Dynajet usually reads a bit high. From what I can tell, the cheapest Dynajet, the 224x, is an inertia dyno. That will put us at a disadvantage, as the rotating mass in an Exocet is pretty light and will make the Dynajet think we have more horsepower than we actually do. The DIYAT guys were very aware of this as they tuned the car. Before we compete, we'll throw it on a Dynajet and see if we need to pull more boost/timing.

Rule of thumb: if your car was tested on it, the dyno reads low. If someone else's car was tested on it, the dyno reads high

The weight of the vehicle won't affect the reading from an inertial dyno. Rotating mass can affect it, but the overall mass won't. However, on the road a light car won't be able to load up the engine as much as a heavier one so you can cheat and throw more timing at it - basically, your safe tune will be more aggressive and thus make more power on the dyno.

scareyourpassenger
scareyourpassenger New Reader
10/20/14 1:41 p.m.
clintavo wrote: In reply to mrvwcastner: Awesome!

Yet, I have seen and heard the opposite. The dynapack is as close as a car can get to an engine dyno number due to it being nearly inertia-less. Usual estimates are they read 8-10% more. Also why I like to use them and quote numbers:) They due simulate load better for a safe tune though:) Going cell by cell and nailing the air, fuel and spark is priceless.

clintavo
clintavo New Reader
10/20/14 5:27 p.m.

Warren, can you reveal the major change to the frame?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/20/14 5:42 p.m.

That unsaid, it's not revolutionary. It's probably being made out to be bigger than it really is.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
10/20/14 8:34 p.m.

its been running for a while. Did a 2 day drag/drift/autocross then scare the public race it ran flawlessly (its a miata of course). This was first day with lights. Hung my miata plates & vins, still need to get a bit more legit.

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
10/20/14 9:23 p.m.

The change is probably just a notch/revision for the V8/T56 guys.

Pepperinyoureye
Pepperinyoureye New Reader
10/20/14 9:42 p.m.

Got a ton of work done this weekend! Now comes the real task of cleaning up my donor and performing all the maintenance/prep work.

1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nMYMUU4dmyXZJjDzAb6Uf6yyF8y5CCzy3tlGVHwwZs2ZCh0oCzgW08EFEoGbK47g