1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 112
clintavo
clintavo New Reader
10/21/14 12:47 p.m.

In reply to Pepperinyoureye:

Good for you getting help(ful observers?). I'm playing mad scientist in the dungeon alone

Meierznutz
Meierznutz New Reader
10/22/14 7:21 a.m.

I delivered my donor to Richmond Va last night...kid bought the engine and I gave him the rest of the stuff I wasn't using so I wouldn't have to tear down the carcass... made the 935 mile round trip in 22 hours! (he paid fuel and tolls) Now I have a clean garage and can start fresh!

clintavo
clintavo New Reader
10/22/14 6:22 p.m.

Nice! It no doubt saved a lot of time not having to deal with an organ donor harvest.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/22/14 6:48 p.m.
Meierznutz wrote: I delivered my donor to Richmond Va last night...kid bought the engine and I gave him the rest of the stuff I wasn't using so I wouldn't have to tear down the carcass... made the 935 mile round trip in 22 hours! (he paid fuel and tolls) Now I have a clean garage and can start fresh!

I need to find an Exocet builder close to the Michigan border. Still looking for a NA carcass that is not overly rotted.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/14 6:53 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Meierznutz wrote: I delivered my donor to Richmond Va last night...kid bought the engine and I gave him the rest of the stuff I wasn't using so I wouldn't have to tear down the carcass... made the 935 mile round trip in 22 hours! (he paid fuel and tolls) Now I have a clean garage and can start fresh!
I need to find an Exocet builder close to the Michigan border. Still looking for a NA carcass that is not overly rotted.

In Michigan? Good luck, dude. Have you contacted Trillium or the UMN to see if anyone's got a parts car that could donate the front clip?

Meierznutz
Meierznutz New Reader
10/22/14 10:11 p.m.
clintavo wrote: Nice! It no doubt saved a lot of time not having to deal with an organ donor harvest.

First, space was more my issue. Second, he needed the drivetrain and the body was shot. Building a car isn't all about money, it's about helping out your fellow wrench. This young kid is going to learn a lot more by tearing down the old wreck than he can learn from reading the Haynes manual. Come to find out he had family in my home town too.

clintavo
clintavo New Reader
10/23/14 10:10 a.m.

In reply to Meierznutz:

Very cool.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. - Greek Proverb

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
10/24/14 11:29 a.m.

Hey warren, let me ask a question of a different nature.

How come you guys chose the Megasquirt over the Hydra for your XPs?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/24/14 11:40 a.m.

As of now, just XP-4 is running the Megasquirt. XP-1, XP-2, and XP-3 are stock ECU, and XP-5 is running the GM controller kit. The choice to switch from Hydra to Megasquirt was largely due to local support from the DIYAutoTune guys and my own familiarity with the platform, nothing more. The Hydra is a damn fine ECU and supports lots of features and has a built-in wideband controller. It also supports on-board datalogging, which only the MS3 can match. One big downside I've heard is that it has issues doing closed-loop control, such as alternator control and electronic boost control. I can't substantiate this as I didn't choose to tune that stuff on the Hydra myself, and in my opinion a PID loop is a PID loop, but it has been told to me by multiple Hydra tuners. We did have issues with voltage control, so we slapped in an NA alternator. I don't blame the Hydra for that.

The Megasquirt leans towards my own open-source mentality, and it's made for tinkerers. The Hydra has many functions and maps "locked out" to the end user. Old Megasquirts have famously been included in functionality updates, and I like that. XP-4 currently has a stripped-down stock Miata harness and a MSPNP2, and when I have time, I plan to build a new custom harness from a MS3's pigtail.

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
10/24/14 12:13 p.m.

Kinda figured the open source setup would be one of the key attractions. Was simply curious of there was some functionality the MS had over the hydra.

Its always been my experience that an ECU is just a glorified calculator. The saying has always been, garbage in/garbage out. Like you said PID is PID but its in no way shape or form some kind of "auto tuner". As long as the base values make sense, the correctional trimming can make up the minor changes. To a point....

Thank you for the feedback. Sounds like either will be more than adequate for my setup.

SteadFast
SteadFast New Reader
10/24/14 12:40 p.m.

While we are all in a chatty mood because it is Friday how about an update on; 1)The tophat spacers, 2)New bodywork output by Downing

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/24/14 11:01 p.m.

I hear Exomotive should have a truckload of bodywork sometime next week. Tophat spacers are designed, but aren't ready to release as a product until we get them from manufacturing.

SteadFast
SteadFast New Reader
10/25/14 12:22 a.m.

SteadFast
SteadFast New Reader
10/26/14 12:35 a.m.

Random late night question. With the new one piece hood/nose design, will there be enough structural rigidity to just use 4 aerocatches? Two in the normal location and two closer to the nose?

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
10/26/14 12:55 a.m.

Electrical ? I found some great LED blinkers. I think my relay from incondescent bulbs is not compatible with the LEDs. Does anyone know of a compatible relay? Of am I stuck taking my chances with Ebay china relays?

thestig
thestig New Reader
10/26/14 1:43 a.m.

Is your light blinking fast? Add a load resistor?

linuxd00d
linuxd00d New Reader
10/26/14 2:17 a.m.

Body panel update straight from the source, in case you missed it: http://mevowners.proboards.com/post/59360/thread

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner New Reader
10/26/14 12:24 p.m.

They do blink fast. The rears work great bythemselves, once i add fronts they all flash at once, then i remove the fronts & the rears no longer work correctly by themselves. Confusing. Im pretty sure its load related on the relay side.

http://www.bugmanweb.com/gsxr/flasher.html

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=335534

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-LED-Turn-Signal-Tail-Brake-License-Plate-Integrated-Light-Quad-FLEX-/261426599996?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cde3d583c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-HD-MOTORCYCLE-LED-TURN-SIGNALS-BLINKERS-FLASHERS-X4-VIBRANT-/251682684680?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a9974ff08

BTD
BTD New Reader
10/27/14 4:10 p.m.

Just got word that my chassis is in QC right now, so should be shipping next week. Let the games begin!

lhintze
lhintze New Reader
10/27/14 5:02 p.m.

^ what chassis number are you? Just trying to see where production is lol

BTD
BTD New Reader
10/28/14 12:52 a.m.
lhintze wrote: ^ what chassis number are you? Just trying to see where production is lol

Not sure, I wasn't ever given my chassis # when I ordered through Flyin' Miata. Unless Warren or Keith wants to chime in...

I'm guessing around 85-90?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/28/14 1:01 a.m.

In reply to BTD:

Sorry, you'll have to email Kevin at Info@Exomotive.com , I don't have the production order info.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/14 8:31 a.m.

Hydras aren't locked out unless they're maps that are required to make the Miata run (for example, it's a four cylinder four stroke!). Even then, we can unlock them if you've got a good need to do so. But it's hard to argue against being basically next door to the DIY Autotune guys, for the same reason that Miata owners in western Colorado tend to run the Hydra

I'm never given chassis numbers as part of the orders, so I can't comment there. I do know there are a stack of our customers getting chassis very soon, at least four or five are in the final stages. Warren, get a picture of the gold and red over chrome frames side by side, they'll be something else to see.

To stop hyper flash if you have an NA donor, you can simply solder in a new resistor to the flasher unit. It's not as easy on an NB.

thestig
thestig New Reader
10/28/14 12:57 p.m.

They posted the red one in the prismatic powders gallery. It looks nice. I can't wait for mine to show up so I can send it out to powder coat. Lot's of people are going with bright colors. I know at least two chassis will be shocker yellow over super chrome. What I really want to see is one of these completely finished with the bodywork. Especially with a color besides black for the body.

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
10/28/14 1:54 p.m.

Yeah the shocker yellow will be a winner.

1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2DIa0bZrKTk7NSMkPvKoH6TMZi7ati1saBOU1xA1coBFHJ2xaCt8a9I0Kpdejlb0