1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 112
Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
1/14/15 12:41 p.m.

Funny you should ask. I'm at the manufacturer right now, waiting for them to wrap up the first production run.

gl21133
gl21133 New Reader
1/14/15 12:53 p.m.

Sport only? Do you have an "OEM" solution for the Race chassis?

SteadFast
SteadFast New Reader
1/14/15 4:36 p.m.

They have them for the race chassis, just need to get your own piece of glass cut (very easy):

Which after looking at this picture. Does anyone have an update on the build that used this frame? The hammered copper color is one of my favs so far.

gl21133
gl21133 New Reader
1/14/15 5:01 p.m.

I'm actually kind of hoping for a half screen if possible. I can obviously fab one if needed, but I'd rather not.

ashneyder
ashneyder New Reader
1/14/15 7:40 p.m.
Warren v wrote: Funny you should ask. I'm at the manufacturer right now, waiting for them to wrap up the first production run.

Nice. Have you done any testing with a prototype in the car? Is it tall enough to direct the airflow over the driver's head? Any word on the pricing?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/15 10:06 p.m.

I don't think Warren has enough time for actual real life testing of some of this stuff From what I've seen of the renderings, it should deflect airflow without causing total aerodynamic chaos. The windscreen in my Locost absolutely wrecks any semblance of linear airflow. You want something to just bump the air, not block it.

One of those is coming to FM, we'll get to work on it fairly quickly.

ashneyder
ashneyder New Reader
1/15/15 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I am potentially looking for something to be able to drive without goggles on. I assume that is the intent. Looking forward to your feedback on the part.

Keith Tanner
1/15/15 10:17 a.m.

The intent is probably to pass inspection in those states that require a windshield.

Based on my experience with the Locost, you'll want eye protection regardless. As I said, the airflow becomes highly chaotic behind a tall windshield and you'll end up with air whipping all over the place - and it'll be carrying dust and grit. You don't necessarily need goggles, but a pair of fairly windproof sunglasses is highly recommended.

SteadFast
SteadFast New Reader
1/15/15 11:06 a.m.

Agreed, my windshield (my own design similar to that of Exomotive) appears to be the same height. My wife can ride in it and be fine with the airflow because she is 5ft 2in. She still wears glasses though, as debris will always fly up. As for me (6ft 1in), the windshield would have to be about 9-10 inches taller and would look silly to be effective. To get what you are asking for a race frame with a full windshield, like the one I listed above, is your only option.

I agree with Keith in that the windshield is to appease the bean counters for allowing the kit car to be road worthy.

ashneyder
ashneyder New Reader
1/15/15 12:08 p.m.

Maryland doesn't call out windshield explicitly, so my plan for now then, a full face helmet.

MX5Speed
MX5Speed New Reader
1/15/15 12:43 p.m.

It would appear that a race frame, with windshield, the current mounting point of the wing, would make the wing ineffective. Possible to add two weldments higher up on the roll cage to give an option of two different heights of the wing. Plus thinking the drag of the race cage windscreen is pretty high. But the car as a whole is pretty draggy. But darn it Looks Sooo Much Fun.

lhintze
lhintze New Reader
1/19/15 1:38 p.m.

Whats the word on the windshield mount? Put me down for one if they are reasonably priced. What thickness of glass/acrylic are they designed for?

thestig
thestig New Reader
1/19/15 2:55 p.m.

I emailed Kevin about it. I will let you know what he says. My kit should be on the jig as I type this. It would be nice to save on shipping and also have it coated with my frame. Now that i think about it, I forgot to ask about the spacers.

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
1/19/15 6:58 p.m.

Kevin is putting the final touches on the spacers (hardware details mainly). No word on a price yet but they should be available in the next week or two. he promised me a set with my chassis. :)

einy
einy New Reader
1/21/15 1:25 p.m.

Greg ... Any word on what you get, and what (if anything) you need to self source (such as the "glass")?

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
1/21/15 3:25 p.m.

I'm not getting the windshield. I was talking about the top hat spacers.

einy
einy New Reader
1/22/15 5:39 a.m.

Sorry ... my misunderstanding. I assumed the spacers Kevin was working on were part of the windshield 'kit'.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner Reader
1/22/15 9:21 p.m.

the spacers are to correct suspension geometry.

thestig
thestig New Reader
1/23/15 9:40 a.m.

It's Friday! Any updates on windshield? How about the spacers, any issues with the testing?

tony_soprano
tony_soprano New Reader
1/24/15 2:03 a.m.
mrvwcastner wrote: the spacers are to correct suspension geometry.

I think the spacers are primarily for increasing suspension travel as opposed to altering suspension geometry.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner Reader
1/24/15 11:45 a.m.

In reply to tony_soprano:

its to correct the angle of control arms by increasing travel. I dont feel any issues on the street and barely notisable autocross running very low coilovers. I'm hoping for Fox NA suspension soon from FlyinMiata then re-evaluate.

Keith Tanner
1/26/15 5:10 p.m.

Some pics to make you all drool a little bit.

Our bodywork showed up. Those Downing guys might have a future in this biz.

Fender laid over a 235 tire. We have some problems with the supplied brackets (they won't fit over a stock Miata wheel) but the fender will work fine.

Hood don't fit over motor. We shall fix.

We're going to reroute the intake. This is going to be a lot more complex to do than it looks.

kb58
kb58 Dork
1/26/15 5:45 p.m.
SteadFast wrote: ... the windshield is to appease the bean counters for allowing the kit car to be road worthy.

Be sure to post the selfie here of your face after hitting a June bug at 70 mph... if you can still see!

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
1/26/15 6:14 p.m.

Is the chassis of the V8 car going to get painted/powder coated?

Keith Tanner
1/26/15 6:27 p.m.

Of course. Once we're done with all the brackets and modifications. We still have to weld on the mounts for the bodywork.

1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lXRvqxP82bchjxU07OSrtgQh5sekI21WmqFxsSxoHgt6QpHNLSHAFMBUIjnEJzJW