1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 112
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/15 7:53 p.m.
Warren v wrote: XP-5 and its 525hp LS3 was 1696 with a full tank last time I saw it on scales. The XXXocet was 1900-ish without bodywork if I recall correctly. That LSA and the intercooler setup weighs a lot.

The bodywork on that XP-5 weigh-in also wasn't quite complete, and it had a non-functional cooling system Honestly, we never weighed the engine because the information didn't mean anything to us. But yes, the extra fluid in the IC and the supercharger certainly push up the weight a bit.

The price difference between an iron and aluminum block is probably the cheapest way to lose 125 lbs of weight off the front of the car, though.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
3/15/15 7:02 p.m.

The LS3 doesnt weigh too much more then the iron block mazda motor (415lbs vs 285 lbs), the big weight penalty that gets overlooked is in the transmission and flywheel/clutch weight difference vs miata parts. I'm considering using a 5.5" tilton triple clutch and a 11lb flywheel to get some of that weight back.

T56 = 140ish pounds with bellhousing, the miata trans is about 75. Add in a larger flywheel/clutch package, and you gain 100 pounds there, in addition to the 130 from the engine. Larger radiator, more coolant capacity, blah blah blah... all of the sudden you have your 250 pound weight difference.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
3/15/15 9:17 p.m.

Dear GRM,

Whatever you did this weekend, I can almost certainly promise that I had more fun.

</ bragging>

-

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
3/15/15 10:30 p.m.
Warren v wrote: Dear GRM, Whatever you did this weekend, I can almost certainly promise that I had more fun. -

You certainly looked like you were having fun out there. We had fun from grid seeing that beast in action. At least the weather came around for Sunday.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
3/15/15 10:50 p.m.

Yeah, the owner of the car did most of the driving, and yesterday was a bit scary with that cold-wet surface. He kept it shiny-side up, though!

Today was awesome, though. Best weather in months.

A teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIv7TpOKQjw

D2W
D2W New Reader
3/16/15 2:24 p.m.

That is all kinds of awesomeness! Time to finish up some projects so I can start a new one.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
3/16/15 8:15 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I think you overestimate the size of the company. I think it's two people plus the guys operating the sparky machines.

Keith I may be overestimating but it was within a day's drive of their shop and would be a prime location to get some interest. Though they may not want more orders right now... (need to catch up it sounds like.)

NOTE: I am not a marketing guy or Management, so maybe I'm wrong and the costs were too high. But on a weekend during the not really racing time of the year it just seems like presenting a kit car for track days should be done there...

hockey930
hockey930 New Reader
3/19/15 9:34 a.m.

Hey guys, has anyone depowered a power steering rack? I am wondering if this clip is needed when it goes back together. I messed mine up.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/15 9:57 a.m.

I took that picture, so I guess I have. I don't think that clip is required anymore. I took the picture about 12 years ago, so memory is foggy.

hockey930
hockey930 New Reader
3/19/15 10:10 a.m.

I was hoping someone was going to say that. Keith you had a great write up. Sorry for the borrowed picture, when I got to work this morning I realized your picture was a lot better then the one I snapped last night. It's fun to do a project that works according to instructions. Apparently I suck at using a chisel and kept going back to the grinder. Then when I saw I hit the clip I of course had to play with it and access the damage which then caused the clip to not hug the shaft perfectly. I also submitted to you guys via email which can be disregarded.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
3/19/15 9:22 p.m.

Here's a fantastic little video about FM, the Catfish, and the Exocet:

http://www.zoomzoommag.com/issue22-2015#!flyin-miatas

Very flattering footage, for Keith I mean.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
3/20/15 1:13 a.m.

Awesome video, for Miatas in general, Flyin' Miata, and Keith. I was very impressed!

David

hockey930
hockey930 New Reader
3/20/15 7:46 a.m.

I went to put the rack back together last night and thought, I will go look at those pictures again on flyin Miata to be sure. Any they were gone!(temporarily) While the new site goes up I assume. Took a second for me to think, well I am the one that took it apart, now just put it back together. I think all went well.

D2W
D2W New Reader
3/20/15 5:09 p.m.

Great video for Keith and flyin' miata. I'm torn between the great looks of the catfish and the rawness of the exocet.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner Reader
3/22/15 12:16 p.m.

FTD! First Autocross of the year. My first FTD. I'm not an exceptional driver usually I go to events with 45 cars sit in top 10 leave very happy if I'm in top 6. My donor was my car not a wreck. Tokiko Ground Control coils 1.6 with home made exhaust & intake. A basic modest 90 Miata with simple upgrades. I haven't installed shock spacers sway bars & springs still too stiff for Exocet etc.. I really just wanted to give everyone a perspective of what to expect. The next closest time was a very well sorted NA 1.6 Miata driven by club president far more experienced driver than me who laid out the course. Almost 1 full second faster. I also learned an Exocet is lots of fun in the pits as a log roll game without fenders. A great game to pass the time.

hockey930
hockey930 New Reader
3/23/15 8:41 a.m.

In reply to mrvwcastner:

What spring rates are you using, I was about to put the same setup on my exo.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
3/23/15 11:05 a.m.

Too bad AM is straight time with no pax benefit. Gotta be quicker then quick in an exocet to be competitive in pax.

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner Reader
3/23/15 11:43 p.m.

I'm not sure will have to look. I think 325 425 and racing beat sways. Here is how they ride (My first FTD since nobody counted the poor dead cone half way through).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTuUjv3Uk5w&feature=share

hockey930
hockey930 New Reader
3/24/15 1:36 p.m.

In reply to mrvwcastner:

Do you think it would do better with stock sway bars?

mrvwcastner
mrvwcastner Reader
3/24/15 3:53 p.m.

According to info on other builds and Exomotive site yes. My problem is I really like a stiff, flat, low car. My style. I had an instructor from Evolution once say he couldn't understand how I got in and out of Chicago Box without wiping it out & faster than everyone else (too much Dukes of Hazard as a kid). I'm going to ask Keith at FM for advice on a good set up with new Fox shocks, lighter springs and my big sways with Exomotives spacers to correct geometry. The kicker is i want to be low as possible without compromise. I'm also setting rear camber back to 0 for better contact patch.

hockey930
hockey930 New Reader
3/25/15 10:18 a.m.

My donner car is a 94 miata, does anyone see a problem with using an NB (plastic)gas tank? My NA tank is pretty rusty on the inside. To add to that, does anyone know if the full sending unit will drop in so I can buy a tank without one to save money?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
3/25/15 3:25 p.m.

The NB tank is actually steel. The '99-'00 tank has a pressure regulator built in, your should probably remove it and let the NA pressure regulator do its thing up in the engine bay. From what I understand, the pre-OBD II Miatas are a little weird with fuel pressure regulation.

hockey930
hockey930 New Reader
3/26/15 3:48 p.m.

Well, there goes that theory of finding a for sure non rusty tank.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
3/26/15 4:48 p.m.

fuel cell, or have yours bead blasted.

gl21133
gl21133 New Reader
3/26/15 8:04 p.m.

More importantly, if you have a donner car don't take it over any mountain passes in the winter :).

1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZxQh6UgY5KBpgCFNHisz4hUxtMXn7kyx6mTJP2R5aamSrnZHHXbRcAucr7upprgx