1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 ... 112
Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
3/26/15 8:12 p.m.

A 99-2002 camaro fuel tank might work in that space. they're plastic, too.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
3/26/15 8:14 p.m.

Camaro tank dimensions, roughly.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
3/27/15 1:08 a.m.

That unfortunately is a bit too wide to fit under the rear cover. It really is much smaller than it comes across in photos.

I wrote some documentation about fitting custom fuel cells, as it gets complicated:

Due to the geometry of the bodywork, there are a few configurations possible. The height of the tank will dictate the bounds of the other dimensions. All these footprints are inside the rearmost frame tube, undefined units are inches.

Height              Maximum Footprint (Width x Length)

Supertall (11.0 or less)     23.5 x 15.5         ~16.0 gallons
Tall      (9.75 or less)     23.5 x 21.0         ~19.0 gallons
Medium    (7.25 or less)     25.0 x 22.5         ~16.5 gallons
Shorty    (4.75 or less)     25.5 x 30.0         ~14.5 gallons
1.6 Miata                                         11.9 gallons
1.8 Miata                                         12.7 gallons

For the prisms, the capacity written is at least 1 gallon less than the volume of the prism to account for expansion room and the internals. The height is measured from the top of the round rear subframe mount tubes.

There is about 1.5"-2.5" more room between those tubes, depending on where you are measuring (the diff mounts come up a bit). This would make a good custom sump. The space available between the tubes is 29.25" wide and 15.5" long.

Just as in any car, the scope of fuel cell retrofit should include a safe and secure mounting method. If you hang it off the back, you may want to weld some reinforcement to the frame. The US bodywork is about 4" longer than the old UK bodywork, so it is possible to add protective structure if you wish.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
3/27/15 9:57 a.m.

Anyone want to render midnight blue/black (ral 5004) bodywork over transparent copper tubes in a race chassis? Can't wait for my delivery.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/15 10:30 a.m.
D2W wrote: Great video for Keith and flyin' miata. I'm torn between the great looks of the catfish and the rawness of the exocet.

It's a good choice to have to make. I'll admit that I waffle between the two of them.

As for fuel tanks, they're not all rusty. I'll bet you can find a pretty clean one in the southwest for cheap. We used to get good tanks out of every salvage car we tore down, to the point where we were throwing them away because nobody ever asked for one.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
3/27/15 1:30 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
D2W wrote: Great video for Keith and flyin' miata. I'm torn between the great looks of the catfish and the rawness of the exocet.
It's a good choice to have to make. I'll admit that I waffle between the two of them.

I'm digging the FM internet site update and the wealth of info you've added for the 'special cars' you offer. Not that you guys don't already have enough to do, but I'm sure that we all would appreciate a more detailed 'behind the wheel' comparison of the catfish, exocet & westfield.

Keith Tanner
3/27/15 2:23 p.m.

That would be a good subject for a walkaround video. Once I'm done putting out the fires related to the new website ("where did the help files for the ECU that was discontinued 10 years ago go?"), I'll put it on the list.

The biggest difference is between the Westie and the other two, due to the changes in the geometry. Because the Catfish and the Exocet share the same rollerskate-based concept, they are more similar than they are different.

Papabear
Papabear New Reader
3/27/15 3:27 p.m.

Keith, I was looking a the new site and see updated pictures on the XXXocet. One picture shows you have added a tube at the top of the tunnel to run the fuel/brake/wiring Harness. How did this work out? Looking at the undercar exhaust on the XXXocet I can see why running it down the lower tube is a no go. And did I read right your fuel line is a -6 for the supercharged engine?

Keith Tanner
3/27/15 4:26 p.m.

Yes, we added a support tube for all the lines that lets them run above the transmission. Worked beautifully, I'd do it again for future builds. And yes, we run -6 lines for fuel.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/27/15 6:07 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: That would be a good subject for a walkaround video. Once I'm done putting out the fires related to the new website ("where did the help files for the ECU that was discontinued 10 years ago go?"), I'll put it on the list. The biggest difference is between the Westie and the other two, due to the changes in the geometry. Because the Catfish and the Exocet share the same rollerskate-based concept, they are more similar than they are different.

Ummmmm, might be a good article for a certain magazine.

Keith Tanner
3/27/15 7:24 p.m.

If only I knew of a spot where all three were parked under the same roof...

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
3/29/15 5:48 p.m.

The three horsemen came to AMP and dominated the gymkhana.

Cars in attendance included a 991 GT3 and an Ultima GTR. I love crashing the party.

My Miata won, then the 525hp XP-5, then XP-4. Anyone that says XP-5 is too powerful to drive can suck it; this is a really slick surface.

Hopefully XP-4 will have some street-ish/rain tires on it next time. A naturally aspirated Exocet on 195 BFG Sport Comp 2's would destroy everything this side of a Hoosier H2O.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6EYgD4Pi5c

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
3/29/15 11:56 p.m.

Gratuitous post to get closer to ONE HUNDRED PAGES of Exocet awesomeness.

That is all.

Exo106
Exo106 New Reader
4/2/15 3:01 p.m.

Just got #106 on the road. It has far surpassed my expectations. The car was a totally stock 95 1.8 with the exception of springs (on the stock shocks) and every aspect of the car is amazing.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/2/15 3:38 p.m.

I love posts like this; it makes all the hard work worth it.

Thanks for the positive word, and I hope it brings you years of fun.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
4/2/15 5:49 p.m.

Warren how do we find out our (planned) chassis #?

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/2/15 6:24 p.m.

Contact Kevin or Taylor at Exomotive. Pretty sure Info@Exomotive.com is still the best way to reach them.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
4/2/15 8:35 p.m.

Shoot, they don't even respond to my sales requests to add stuff to my order, doubt I'd get far troubling them for non-paying things :p suppose I'll pick up the phone next week

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
4/3/15 7:10 a.m.

It's always better to call them. Faster communication that way.

SteadFast
SteadFast New Reader
4/4/15 1:27 a.m.

I assume this shouldn't be an issue, but does the M-Tuned coolant re-route kit fit in the Exocet (NB). I just installed it on my new motor (while on an engine stand), and it looks huge hanging off the back...

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/4/15 7:57 a.m.

In reply to SteadFast:

XP-3 and 4 had it. No problem.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/7/15 6:50 p.m.

XP-5 recently got an exhaust by Jason at Enthuza Car.

Dual => Single. It sounds very smooth, especially for a big cam motor. A dump/diverted valve was installed after the y-pipe. It will be connected to a manual switch for when we want to make a lot of noise.

We're cutting out the tunnel for more seat clearance (this car has the old UK-style tunnel), then it will go for a tune and paperwork to make it road-legal.

She'll be all cleaned up a shiny for you at the Mitty. Just look for Flyin' Miata's V8 Corral.

Keith Tanner
4/7/15 8:10 p.m.

The supercharged V8 XXXocet will be at the Mitty as well along with two new owners with really big grins.

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
4/7/15 9:52 p.m.

Speaking of exhausts, the NA exhaust for the FMII fits perfectly in the new style trans tunnel. :)

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
4/7/15 9:58 p.m.

"Hi Chris,

Thanks for calling in today and speaking with Taylor. I think we've got everything set from your additions. Please see your updated invoice attached and let me know if we need to make any other changes. The wing mounts and shock spacers will be media blasted and powder coated along with the chassis.

Your chassis (#134) is currently sitting 15 cars away from production. "

134 it is :) Good news. Due to cost, going to do FM2 turbo on the stock engine, and shoot for the ls3 swap 2016 sometime after i get the chassis sorted.

1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mCOvqVoN9nmZPDHfi9DceKONZMWmkgfY7SRwlB32rjlYT16xgjMDn8klxSAXX8VL