jrh2009
jrh2009 New Reader
3/22/19 9:44 a.m.

Well guys, long story short, I just completed 3M vehicle wrap training and am trying to break into automotive wraps full time.

I fugure the best business card is wrapping one of my own vehicles as a demonstration of my skill set, so I've decided to wrap my 70 Charger and use it for a resume and advertising.

I need as much visual "pop" as I can get, and one of the things I've decided to do is change the grille to a Fast and Furious style mesh grille. (I've got a complete spare bumper assembly with brackets and can change out the entire assembly in an hour.)

But my question is, what kind of mesh is this? Any ideas? I've been looking online, but I can't find anything. It has to be a common product, but I don't know where to look.

I figure making it look closer to the F&F  car will excite more people who see it, and increase the chances of someone seeing it and potentially hiring me. 

So anyways, I need the wire mesh screen that is insert insde the loop bumper assembly. Any idea where I can find it?

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
3/22/19 9:48 a.m.

Search wire cloth.

ChasH
ChasH New Reader
3/22/19 9:50 a.m.

Looks like hardware cloth. It's very restrictive to airflow at higher speeds. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/19 10:04 a.m.

You want some kind of stainless steel perforated sheet. +1 on watching out for airflow problems, because it will greatly reduce airflow.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/19 10:10 a.m.

Check the Pegasus Racing catalog. They have a selection of meshes for this sort of use, including information on the void area.

Back in my younger days, I'll admit to using spray painted gutter guard.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/22/19 10:22 a.m.

wire cloth at McMaster-Carr

lots to choose from

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/19 10:37 a.m.

I used "stucco lathe" from any big-box hardware store. I think it looks cool painted gloss black.

I've also "fixed" a wrecked car with it

porschenut
porschenut Reader
3/22/19 10:46 a.m.

www.perforatedmetal.com

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
3/22/19 11:55 a.m.

McNichols is the go-to for all this stuff.

https://www.mcnichols.com/

If they don't sell direct to consumer, you can find it on their website, then use their descriptions to call around to local steel shops looking for stock and not look like a dum-dum.

Or you can draw something up in CAD and get a laser shop to cut it for you, holes on a laser cost a but but then you would get nice edges and could do logos.  

jrh2009
jrh2009 New Reader
3/22/19 11:58 a.m.

Wow you guys are good. That is exactly what I need.

I wasn't aware of the airflow problem, I suppose I could attach it with some sort of quick release just in case. The car does have a large opening between the bumper and the lower valence, so hopefully temps won't increase too much. And it only needs to be on for a year or so, I'll go back to the stock grille after that.

Thanks for all the help guys.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/22/19 12:04 p.m.

Got this stuff from a gravel screen.

Pete

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/22/19 12:06 p.m.

where are you located? I've been strongly considering wrapping one of my cars...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/19 12:55 p.m.
NOHOME said:

That made me laugh because my father-in-law ran crushers for years and my wife works for an aggregate supplier. I have access to all sorts of crusher screen. But I get it at the other end of the life cycle from you, it's not pretty.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
3/22/19 1:17 p.m.

X2 on McMaster - or at least use their information because they have a fairly easy to use listing of wire size, mesh size, opening size etc. Then move on to purchase from wherever.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/22/19 1:20 p.m.

The type of product you're probably looking for is called "expanded steel".  It's made by cutting slots in a steel sheet and then pulled into a mesh.  You can also get it flattened where they take the expanded steel and crush it in a press.  They are usually refered to as "raised" or "flattened"

Google image search for expanded steel comes up with this:

Image result for expanded steel

jrh2009
jrh2009 New Reader
3/22/19 2:20 p.m.

Nohome- that looks great. Really clean install there.

Robbie- I am located in Columbus GA. About 35 min away from Auburn, AL.

I am debating chasing the full color change wraps, or the quick money advertising wraps, I suspect I'll end up with a mixture of both. 

I'll search that site when I get home this evening. A quick look showed exactly what I needed.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
3/22/19 2:27 p.m.

I've been saving a Thrown out, Fire place Fire Screen to cover some vents,

Good Material but heavy duty

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/19 3:53 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I used "stucco lathe" from any big-box hardware store. I think it looks cool painted gloss black.

I've also "fixed" a wrecked car with it

I use this all the time.  It is even directional so depending on the slope of the grill you can get it so there is very little disruption to air flow and I think it looks cool.  Currently hve it in behind the lower plastic grill that covers the intake for the rad on my 924s.  Much stronger then the plastic and it keeps rocks and other trash out of the rad really well.  Much better then the stock grill was.  

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/22/19 4:13 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
NOHOME said:

That made me laugh because my father-in-law ran crushers for years and my wife works for an aggregate supplier. I have access to all sorts of crusher screen. But I get it at the other end of the life cycle from you, it's not pretty.

That particular grate had been sitting outside for a few years.I have not done any cleanup of it so even unpainted rust does not seem to be an issue. Not sure what the material is but it is heavy as hell. Might be stronger than the front bumper.surprise

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/22/19 4:14 p.m.

I buy a ton of rubber here in bulk.  Every once in a while I need a small piece of specialty rubber - McMaster-Carr is good.  

We also sell hose assemblies to them - they really have decent stuff.  

My vote.  

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/19 4:20 p.m.

You can get it in "Silver Leopard"!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AdQWfQeNXsBn6DDP45FfePdBV5RyjrewsZoTggFPsR81szWM9UCPs6F9zQZupAjY