1 2
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/9/12 7:21 p.m.

I'll take the RX-7. I'm also a little biased.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/9/12 8:25 p.m.

I have owned both, a '78 280Z and a few 1st gen RX7's. You didn't make it easy, dammit.

I love the RX7 for AX etc but gimme the Z for long legged touring. Once those awful early seats are fixed, that is. Come to think of it, the 7's seats were just fine no matter what, so it will get the edge here.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
4/11/12 10:30 p.m.

My autocross buddy had a '78 Z, and I had a new "80 RX-7. The Z would win in a drag race, and the 7 would win in an autocross. Of the two I would want a Z now....with suspension mods and maybe a turbo.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
4/11/12 10:33 p.m.

Z

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
4/11/12 10:38 p.m.
4eyes wrote: My autocross buddy had a '78 Z, and I had a new "80 RX-7. The Z would win in a drag race, and the 7 would win in an autocross. Of the two I would want a Z now....with suspension mods and maybe a turbo.

Don't forget bigger brakes. Like I said earlier, I've never owned either (and will cry one million tears on my deathbed because of it), but I've driven them both multiple times.

Including an SCCA Improved Touring 260Z I rented back when I was trying to keep my license.

Zs need brakes.

I Am Keyser Söze
I Am Keyser Söze SuperDork
4/11/12 10:45 p.m.

Tight fight, I would chose the Z but I would be very happy with either one.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
4/12/12 7:21 a.m.
I got no dog in this fight. Of course, that means I'm kicking myself for never having had either when they were still plentiful, and good runners were cheap.

A few years ago i wouldnt have personally related to that, but now i see it happening with the things I like. Now i have to move into the 90s to stay at the bottom of the depreciation curve! curses!

I think as basic car that various things can be bolted to (wheels, suspension, motors, etc) the Z is a cooler starting point, so im going with Z.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/12/12 7:36 a.m.

This one's tough but I'd go with the Z, even stock vs. stock. With mod options open it's an easy choice for the Z.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/12/12 7:42 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote:

We're comparing two cars. One has been described by Jeremy Clarkson as, "a very simple recipe: three parts e-type jaguar, two parts corvette, and a sprinkling of Japanese reliability. Fabulous car." (Top Gear Season 4, ep 8) The other is powered by magical spinning triangles and children's tears. In this photo, GRM staffers have chosen to obscure the voodoo-triangle contraption.

I can only conclude that they were trying to protect their gentle readers, and that the Z must be the better choice.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BV6JNRWeQkaNUfD6CHXvI9MNLek26b3hkJpNcnZZdMCWqDoYX4vjwQalba8Xqpio