1 2
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/31/08 5:13 p.m.

So, I was talking with a good friend of mine. He actually sent me 3 Corvettes that he was considering purchasing. All 3 were used 2007-08 base model with Z51 package. All 3 were priced between $44-48,000.

Last time he bought a Vette, he asked me to put together a list of comparables. This time I did it of my own accord with the intent to talk him out of buying the Vette. Ok, all you Vette guys out there calm down. I am not opposed to the Corvette. I am opposed to spending that much money on a used Corvette (non-ZR1). 20-25k? I wouldn't have said a thing.

Anyway, I thought that I would share my list with everyone. My shopping was capped at $40,000. What Supercar-ish buys can you find, keeping with the GRM spirit?

1. Maserati GranSport Spyder. This is a hand built Ferrari V8. Let me say that again… hand built, Ferrari, V8, with a flappy paddle gear box. On the outside it isn’t the world’s best looking car, but the driving experience and Italian flare and passion make it worth it. They can be found down to $30k…

Here

1. Maserati GranSport Coupe. Same as above, but in a hardtop 2+2.

Here

1. Lotus Elise/Exige. Out runs a Corvette on the Nuremburgring… well up until the 2 mile straight.

Here

Here

1. Lotus Esprit. Mid-engine, V8. Racing pedigree. Designed by Collin Chapman, driven by James Bond. Iconic Supercar.

Here

1. Porsche Cayman S. Mid-engine flat 6. Faster than the Boxster, handles better than a 911.

Here

1. Porsche 911 Turbo. 930 Slant nose. Air cooled flat 6. 0-60 in 4 seconds, top speed near 200… and she will appreciate in value.

Here

1. Porsche 911 Turbo. The last of the “bad boys”. Watch the movie with Will Smith and Martin Lawerence.

Here

1. Aston Martin DB7. Considered to be one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Available in Coupe or Convertible. A V12 with the name of the guy who built the engine stamped on it.

Here

Here

1. Dodge Viper. Not my preference, but there are a lot of them. Here is a supercharged one with ridiculous power.

Here

1. BMW M5. 4 doors, 50/50 weight distribution, flappy paddles and a 500hp button on the steering wheel.

Here

1. BMW M6. 2 door version, still 500hp…

Here

1. Ferrari 348. Sex on wheels… Ferrari V8 in a Ferrari. Spend some time on YouTube with this one.

Here

Disclaimer: None of these are my cars for sale. :)

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
12/31/08 5:32 p.m.

Miata with Flyin' Miata LS kit. Well under 20K depending on vehicle/parts purchased.

Comptech'd NSX.

There are others, but these would be my personal hot-rodding type preferences.

I have no problem with someone wanting to spend 40K on a car, but I'd much rather have a project that would be built to my specs.

Brust
Brust New Reader
12/31/08 8:39 p.m.

What are 10 cars the Corvette outperforms?

Correct, for $1000, Bob.

I understand where you're at. There are so many cool cars out there, but if the guy wants a corvette, he's technically actually making a wise choice.
1. It's faster. 2. Cheaper to repair 3. Cheaper to buy

I hate to say it, because I dig the Aston and the Exige, but you have to deal with reality too. The Corvette is the Miata of the supercar world.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/31/08 8:59 p.m.

If the guy lived in Europe, I'd be totally down for your list.

However, being Stateside, just the parts availability alone is enough for me to suggest sticking with the Corvette.

I do agree that $44k for a non-Z06 is a bit steep, especially when C5 Z06s can be found for under $30k without really trying. I think I would focus more on the rapid depreciation of these cars (today's $40k vette is tomorrows $20k vette, so why not buy yesterday's $40k car?).

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
12/31/08 9:42 p.m.

Hmm, how about buying a early C4 with the crappy crossfire 350, and swapping in an LQ9 truck motor and 6 speed, and upgrading the suspension and brakes to match? Could e done for way under $40k, and would be quite fun :)

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
12/31/08 9:48 p.m.

911-930 the car is badass. 3.3 flat six screaming behind you. Knowing that the car wants to kill you. To master that car would be great to do. I belive the was known as one of the most un safe cars to learn to drive at the edge. But still yes I would by one if I could.

BradLTL
12/31/08 11:01 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: today's $40k vette is tomorrows $20k vette, so why not buy yesterday's $40k car?

Actually that was my first recommendation. I found an '05 for about $25,000 that looked great. His response was "there were too many issues on the '05s". I'm pretty sure he is a lost cause and will buy an insanely expensive car that will depreciate 10-15 grand in a year. Oh well, I tried.

I was more posting this thread to show what $40,000 buys today. I was blown away. Imagine what you could find in classics for the same price tag?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/31/08 11:49 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: I was more posting this thread to show what $40,000 buys today. I was blown away. Imagine what you could find in classics for the same price tag?

Except for '70s Japanese cars, not a damn thing, thanks to Barrett-Jackson.

admc58
admc58 New Reader
1/1/09 6:36 a.m.

Toyota Supra Turbo. Will live forever, hold its value and do an easy 400hp with minor intake/exhaust upgrades. One of the easiest cars to drive fast on track that I have ever driven.

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
1/1/09 7:00 a.m.

Oh man, I NEED 40k.

That's quite an impressive list. A masi or an AM.

Travis_K wrote: Hmm, how about buying a early C4 with the crappy crossfire 350, and swapping in an LQ9 truck motor and 6 speed, and upgrading the suspension and brakes to match? Could e done for way under $40k, and would be quite fun :)

I love c4's and have one, but the transmission is giant and kills interior room. The newer vetts have more space because of the rear tranny. Allot of the 'vette owners I talk to don't like the c4 because of their cozy interior and low step in. A fully track prepped c4 vs a db7 or a 348. That's a hard decision!

walterj
walterj HalfDork
1/1/09 8:54 a.m.

You can save a ton by losing the puffer... Porsche 964 C2 non-turbo for under $20k... 0-60 in 5, top end at 163... same cool car with a little less thrust and won't be worth any less next year either.

On that list, the Exige S screams to me but I can't justify it (or afford it until they hit mid-20s)

924guy
924guy HalfDork
1/1/09 9:29 a.m.

save ten grand... doesnt get any more "supercar" than this.

Porsche 928 GT

For a bit more, a GTS can be had...

Porsche 928 GTS

or you can look around and find one that needs work for $500 , and fix er up like i did (and later sold for a decent proffit) ..but with these cars, much better to find one in good shape...

Will
Will New Reader
1/1/09 9:39 a.m.

My votes would be C5Z, 968 or 944S2. Granted, the Porsches aren't really supercar caliber anymore, but they're still pretty fast and way, way under his pricetag for a pristine example.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/1/09 9:52 a.m.

The guys are saying that Esprit S4s' are selling in the low to mid 20's on eBay right now. That's like 10-15K less than a year ago. That's the ultimate Esprit. As much power as the V8 with less trouble. They say that Elise's are going in the mid 20's right now too. It's a sign of our economy. Toy cars go, demand curves come into play, etc. I bet you could buy an airplane or speed boat cheap pretty soon too.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
1/1/09 11:17 a.m.

Gotta add my vote for an NSX. Very limited production, true exotic construction and bulletproof reliability.

I read your original post again and it looks like he already had a Corvette once. Don't take this the wrong way but is he a poser? My brother in laws father drives a late model automatic C5 with chrome wheels and all the "ricer" crap you can put on the outside of the thing. To him, Covettes are the bomb and he absolutely hates my Miata and doesn't consider it a sportscar. In fact, he rags on anything other than GM products so to him, suggesting all the cars in this post would be an absolute waste of time.

Will this guy actually consider something other than a Corvette?

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
1/1/09 1:14 p.m.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/1/09 2:43 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
BradLTL wrote: I was more posting this thread to show what $40,000 buys today. I was blown away. Imagine what you could find in classics for the same price tag?
Except for '70s Japanese cars, not a damn thing, thanks to Barrett-Jackson.

you can find clean 6cyl clasics for under 10k, and drop the rest into upgrades, wish I had the 4k for that '67 'Stang i found last year

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/1/09 3:16 p.m.

Exige, Esprit, Gransport or DB7

Well OK, the Esprit has it all. History, smokin' hot looks that are appealing to both men and women, both excellent cornering and straight-line performance. Open and shut case I think.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
1/1/09 3:21 p.m.

Having owned a few exotics (Ferrari 308 GTB, Ferrari 288 GTO, Lotus Esprit, Porsche 930 and a 1972 Aston Martin - amongst others) I can tell from personal experience you better be mechanically inclined and have a platinum card for parts. And any service work you cannot perform you better have two cards available to cover the shop exit cost.

C6s are still "new" but I know of many really nice C5 ZO6s going for low 20's (from dealerships even). C6Zs are coming down nicely also - I will have one as soon as it hits my target number. I have seen many very nice late model C6 Z51s for less then $40K. They are pretty reliable and quick.

But different cars are built for different people.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/1/09 3:24 p.m.

While there are many perfectly decent people that own corvettes, I do think that more than a few people buy them becasue they want a sports car, but wouldnt be seen driving "ricer crap" like an NSX, Esprit or Exige or some of the other cars mentioned. lol

njansenv
njansenv New Reader
1/1/09 4:05 p.m.

I've never, EVER met anyone that thought a Lotus was "ricer crap".

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/1/09 4:35 p.m.
njansenv wrote: I've never, EVER met anyone that thought a Lotus was "ricer crap".

You've never been on a Mustang board.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/1/09 5:03 p.m.
njansenv wrote: I've never, EVER met anyone that thought a Lotus was "ricer crap".

I have, especially once they hear the new ones have toyota engines in them.

BradLTL
1/1/09 6:08 p.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: Will this guy actually consider something other than a Corvette?

I doubt it. It's probably my fault. He was into trucks and fishing boats until I lent him my first Boxster for 2 weeks. Then he started to like cars. When I bought the 350Z and let him drive it, it was over. He bought his own Z the next day. About a year later he traded up for a C6, and no other car has existed to him since.

The funny part of the story is that while Autocrossing one weekend, he managed to spin the Vette and bump it into a curb. No damage what so ever. No scratches, no alignment issues... nothing. The Vette was for sale the next day! Now 3-4 months removed, he wants another one.

I actually think that the only reason he is shopping for a Vette with a manual transmission is so his wife won't be able to drive it.

BradLTL
1/1/09 6:11 p.m.
Varkwso wrote: And any service work you cannot perform you better have two cards available to cover the shop exit cost

Yep... know that one. Just put new brakes, tires and a clutch in my BoxsterS. I consider it helping the local economy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5GB4S9CszY7vhus2MnvQmwq4nQbE6d0LJ1ok1sY3HTiqO1gVomnJNoYfoxVpxhga