1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/1/19 9:23 a.m.
feature_image

In case you missed it, it's April 1. Here are our favorite April Fools jokes from around the industry.

BimmerWorld: The Butt Dyno

What's a butt dyno? Simple: It's the seat-of-your-pants feeling you get when your car is faster. BimmerWorld poked some more fun at the already-dubious term by announcing their latest investment: The Butt-Jet 5000. Know anybody that wants to buy a used DynoJet?

Read their full announcement below:

Furthering our commitment to finding extra power for your BMW's rear end, and as a leader in the BMW performance market, we've decided to pivot: Rather than our typical rigorous development, testing, and validation work on our in-house Dynojet, starting today, we'll be wiping the slate clean and using the Butt-Jet 5000. 

Butt-Jet has finally cracked the market on seat-of-the-pants power measurement. Many moons ago we bought our very first used dyno, which crapped out within a few years. At the tail end of 2009, we bought a brand-new DynoJet, the industry standard, and it's served us well. The only thing that bummed us out was the lack of portability. 

"I have certainly been aware of butt dyno technology for years," explains BimmerWorld President, James Clay. "I've also seen some of the claimed gains from other so-called performance parts that we suspect were being pulled straight out of the manufacturers' butt dyno. We're all about proving real power and delivering true performance. However, from what I've seen of the new Butt-Jet 5000's calibration algorithms, I think the dubious results of the past are behind us."

With our brand-new Butt-Jet 5000, we're now able to get to the bottom of power gains without all the tedious work of strapping the back end to the rollers. Rest assured, this new setup will help you realize the most power from your posterior. 

Stay tuned for the runs!

-The BimmerWorld Team

Pictured above: Our new dyno operator, Heinie, lays down some skid marks while butt dynoing a BimmerWorld tuned F82 M4. 

BMW: Moon Charging Courtesy of "Lunar Paint"

The attached image says it all. Our only question: Can we buy a can of it for our Nissan Leaf? 

April Fools Day has just begun, and we'll be updating this list as more pranks flood our inboxes. Did we miss your favorite? Post it in the comments, and we may add it to our list.

Read the rest of the story

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/1/19 9:26 a.m.

Hagerty had me going for a bit with the LFX V6 powered C8 Corvette dubbed the "XFE," as in "Xtreme Fuel Efficiency" like the Cobalt XFE. The sad part is, I was kind of excited for it, but knew people would kick up a fuss about a v6 Corvette.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/1/19 9:37 a.m.

What is the joke with the Kia Soul one?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/1/19 12:01 p.m.

Who's going to the Tyre Fyre Festival?

https://nuttlugg.wixsite.com/tyrefyrefestival

XD

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/1/19 12:40 p.m.

That Rally Porsche would sell.  I bet we see it in dealerships soon.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/1/19 12:51 p.m.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
4/1/19 1:06 p.m.
trucke
trucke SuperDork
4/1/19 1:08 p.m.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
4/1/19 3:34 p.m.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
4/1/19 3:43 p.m.

I wish my new BMW had MTT it sure would make tailgating more worthwhile since I am obligated to do it anyway.

Tyler H
Tyler H UberDork
4/1/19 4:08 p.m.
Aspen said:

I wish my new BMW had MTT it sure would make tailgating more worthwhile since I am obligated to do it anyway.

How about BMW pre-cancelling turn signals?  You know, just in case you're new to BMW ownership and find yourself accidentally signaling lane changes? laugh

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/1/19 6:40 p.m.

BMW is selling turn signal offset credits. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/1/19 6:53 p.m.
Tyler H said:
Aspen said:

How about BMW pre-cancelling turn signals?  You know, just in case you're new to BMW ownership and find yourself accidentally signaling lane changes? laugh

I heard that those are the ones that require regular synthetic blinker fluid changes. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
4/1/19 6:53 p.m.

Toyota tried to be funny, accidentally introduced a non-appliance people might get excited about.  Thread: Toyota's "joke" car is cooler than their entire line up.

Pic: Image may contain: car

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/2/19 6:29 a.m.
trucke said:

Am I the only one that does not hate this?  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/2/19 7:57 a.m.
dculberson said:

Hagerty had me going for a bit with the LFX V6 powered C8 Corvette dubbed the "XFE," as in "Xtreme Fuel Efficiency" like the Cobalt XFE. The sad part is, I was kind of excited for it, but knew people would kick up a fuss about a v6 Corvette.

My favorite detail was how they'd claimed it was code named Blue Flame.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/2/19 8:25 a.m.

I love Castle Combe declaring independence from the UK

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
4/2/19 8:58 a.m.
dean1484 said:

The front end probably fits better on that thing than on the Cherokee they stole it from.  

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/2/19 9:03 a.m.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/2/19 9:04 a.m.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
4/2/19 9:44 a.m.

On the face of it, seems like a viable invention but the pitcher looks like a Gen2 S10:

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-patents-bedwetter-1833723602

The funny thing is, this very morning I dropped a load of E36 M3 in the dumpster at work and there was a bunch of dirt and crap left behind. This got me to thinking about a way to clean the bed without having to use a broom and hose. I just got the broom and it's supposed to rain today...

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
4/2/19 10:09 a.m.

This is a great one if you know the back story behind it. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/2/19 10:24 a.m.
rdcyclist said:

On the face of it, seems like a viable invention but the pitcher looks like a Gen2 S10:

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-patents-bedwetter-1833723602

The funny thing is, this very morning I dropped a load of E36 M3 in the dumpster at work and there was a bunch of dirt and crap left behind. This got me to thinking about a way to clean the bed without having to use a broom and hose. I just got the broom and it's supposed to rain today...

That one's not an April Fools joke, surprisingly.

O-fishy-al US Patent

Google image of the patent with S10 drawings

Antihero
Antihero Dork
4/2/19 11:13 a.m.
dean1484 said:
trucke said:

You are not although i want them to lift it like the odd AMCs of old too

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
4/2/19 11:51 a.m.
Antihero said:
dean1484 said:
trucke said:

You are not although i want them to lift it like the odd AMCs of old too

Yup amc eagle is what I thought of when I saw this.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
cBLHOTM7v0RszdWYjYNtuEKEuolcK3O8CF2cfInHfC5A1sQDiyCrAkbEPaFm1a7p