1 2 3 ... 6
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/21/10 9:09 a.m.

Well, the updates are a little behind reality, but another long night has netted more progress. Our crapcan Lincoln racer is going to make it for the new year's eve LeMons race at Palm Beach Int'l Raceway, and I no longer think we'll have to push it to get there.

The latest update...you know you want to click it.

Look for another video with the gang this week, and at least two other updates before the race.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/21/10 9:42 a.m.

Good to hear you are making progress. It wouldn't have been any fun to beat you if you never got off the trailer!

Our Flying Deuce racer is running....and terrifying!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/21/10 9:58 a.m.

I'm terrified by the name alone. Bump us at your peril.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/21/10 9:59 a.m.

There are rival GRM crap can race teams?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/21/10 10:16 a.m.

There's the GRM team, and the GRM Alumni team headed by Greg Voth and Steve Brozyna. (The guys with the clutchless "Supplesaurus" Miata from the $2010 Challenge.)

Team GRM:
Tim Suddard
David Wallens
JG Pasterjak
Scott Lear
Tom Suddard
Steve Chryssos Tom Heath (That's me!)
Rennie Bryant (Special Guest driver) Matt Smith (local college student helping us out)

The Flying Dueces-
Greg Voth (GRM Alumni)
Steve Brozyna (Husband of Debbie B.)
Greg's buddy Rob
Joe Gearin (GRM Advertising ninja)
Blake S. (Debbie B's brother)
Tom P. (Local body shop owner and nice guy)

We're using essentially the same motor, (302 SBF) but in two totally different chassis. Instead of a nice, comfy Lincoln they're using a dookie-brown 1st generation RX-7. Their car is fast, our car will go all night. We're splitting our driving duties 8 ways, they have 4.5 drivers.

Joe Gearin
12/21/10 10:42 a.m.

Well, they THINK their car will go all night.

We actually KNOW our car is fast. This is because our car actually.....you know....RUNS! The same cannot be said for team Lincoln, although they are working on it.

Luck will play a big part in lasting all race. Hopefully our pile of poo will last for the long haul.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/21/10 10:46 a.m.

^^ Untrue.

Our Lincoln starts and runs, at least until you shift into a gear.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/21/10 12:29 p.m.

I think your car will last until the first transmission blows.

Our car should last until the first idiot cuts in front of us on a straight and we park it under them. This car feels at least as strong as the 5.0 Miata. Now if we could only get the power down. So far there is limited traction 1st - 3rd gear.

In reality it will be dumb luck as to what fails. At least you guys will have new calipers and all those fancy new parts which will help longevity.

The only new stuff we have bought is fluids and filters, pads, one brake line, one front caliper and some fuel line. I think we are right around $1500 in the entire car. All inclusive with cage, seat and everything.

Joe Gearin
12/21/10 12:41 p.m.

I just got back from the speedshop with one of the GRM Lincoln team members. They just bought a super-fancy fuel regulator........it musta cost them a few thousand dollars, but for them price is no object. I mean this thing is gold plated, and is encrusted with rubies, diamonds, and everything. They must be sponsored by the Shah of Iran or something to have such a massive budget!

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/21/10 12:42 p.m.

I know it. Hell we are running used tires. Old springs, shocks etc. They may as well have just purchased a used Daytona Prototype racer.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/21/10 12:48 p.m.

Hey guys...I got you something for your car.

I'm sure you're very threatened by our ringer car with cut, used Mustang springs, massive 12mm swaybar, and 2-barrel carb. It should make our 3400 lb. Lincoln hard to catch.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/10 12:52 p.m.

Team Rusted Nuts will be there with our Red Menace Vodka Celica. That is, if we get it off the jack stands anytime soon... At least the neon is wired up and ready. We aren't holding out super high hopes for our engine as the gunk buildup inside is impressive. Hopefully it all doesn't end up in the oil pickup screen.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/21/10 4:22 p.m.

Hobiecr. - Come find us in the pits. Its always good putting faces to names. My screen name is Greg Voth but my given name Reginald Lionel P. Steward III.

We sourced some massive 215/50/13 Sumitomos so maybe we will be able to put some power down in 3rd now.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/21/10 4:23 p.m.

Just don't try this trick-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QTjjheyGE

No matter what, it's gonna be a good time!

Hobie- does the team give away Vodka like our team will be giving away magazines? You're bound to be popular. (and we're planning to pit next to the Flying Deuces, so please stop by and see us too!)

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/21/10 4:33 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcfqH4W2DpY&feature=related

Or this. I did splurge and buy wheel studs and new lugnuts rather than run the stock lug studs.

PoorBoy Racing
PoorBoy Racing New Reader
12/21/10 5:19 p.m.

ChumpCar has a team that will love racing with you guys. USS Enterprise out of Charlotte NC.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/21/10 6:02 p.m.

We will be at the ChumpCar event in Alabama in January...assuming the car survives.

An enterprise themed car would make Scott all giggly.

4 Pumpkin Escobar's of fury
4 Pumpkin Escobar's of fury SuperDork
12/21/10 6:12 p.m.

FYI...the updates dont all flow together when you go to See All...you gotta kinda pick and choose your way around.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
12/21/10 8:47 p.m.

Here's a picture from the first test day: Oh, and Greg sent me this:

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/22/10 12:24 a.m.

False that is a second gen RX-7. Oh and we have actually driven our car. It goes in to gear and everything... and it doesn't even stall.

Tonight we put on the lug studs, put on a mesh grill to keep crap out of the radiator. You know just finishing touches when you have a car that is good to go.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/22/10 10:35 p.m.

We're getting much, much closer. It's down to silly stuff now, like applying the roll bar padding and wiring dash lights. If the race were tomorrow, we'd be able to start...but just barely. Luckily we've got the motor running really well. Steve knows carburetors pretty well, so he made it look easy.

We it around the block tonight without any trouble, but we've got a date for some real testing tomorrow. This will be durability testing, so there's a good chance we'll break something. Hurray! Look for more updates tomorrow...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/22/10 11:35 p.m.

We will beat both of you, so there. :)

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/23/10 12:09 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

Probably.

What are you driving?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/23/10 7:28 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: In reply to DILYSI Dave: Probably. What are you driving?

No driving. Crew chief. Hong Norr MX3.

At the last event it lost by 28 laps. 35 laps were spent on pit stops. My purpose is to make that not be the case.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/23/10 8:11 a.m.

Any car that has completed a race has a good chance.

My main worry is that we will have zero testing time aside from neigborhood streets. The car had been sitting for about five years when we got it so a good shake down would be nice. That and we simply dont have the budget for a huge stock pile of spares.

I think they got into a private testday with Earnhart and Stewart at the freshly paved Daytona Speedway. Look for the Grassroots Semi towing the air conditioned and heated 48 foot trailer with the Lincoln painted on the side Nascar style.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1jr5zm3VzUdS1arx9aGBKljjJVol93NJC45mInkWwOsY2RcF5r1Lp23be0TyeGvX