1 2 3 4 ... 6
mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
12/23/10 9:19 a.m.

I wholly expect it to be parked in the lobby when I drop by.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/23/10 9:19 a.m.

DILYSI Dave-----

Two words:

Shake and Bake

Ok, that was three, but you get my point!

We will be the fools in the poo-brown first-gen RX-7. Will trade beer for sage guidance!

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/24/10 8:58 a.m.

Finished all our wiring last night including the new 6 pole cutoff switch. I am SOOO tired of soldering... We also finished the adapting the quick release receiver to the stock steering wheel coupler and welded in the cutoff switch tab. I realized that I had mis-wired the voltmeter gauge (Hmm, that's why the temp gauge goes to 170 when you add power...) so fixed that.

Still need to re-bleed the brakes, install the new rotors and pads, put the doors, fenders and nose back on, align wheels, install wink mirror, align headlights, rivet on sunroof panel, add graphics and get the new Dunlops mounted. Hope my wife didn't want to spend any time with me for the next few days.

Because we don't have the budget for car radios we installed a couple of "signal" led's that can be activated remotely from the pits. Should help with nighttime communication. Interested to see how this works in reality...

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/24/10 10:11 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: I wholly expect it to be parked in the lobby when I drop by.

Well it certainly wasn't there yesterday. I think it would ruin the wonderful "old car smell" they have going on there.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/24/10 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

Yeah, we had the Lincoln out fir testing yesterday, and we are continuing work (mostly chasing parts) today. Sorry I missed your visit!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/24/10 10:57 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: In reply to Junkyard_Dog: Yeah, we had the Lincoln out fir testing yesterday, and we are continuing work (mostly chasing parts) today. Sorry I missed your visit!

No problem. I picked up some plate frames from Per (no shipping FTW!).

A note to anyone stopping by the office-don't do it on a whim after waking up at 4am and spending the morning on a plane. I was pretty much a zombie when I was there and couldn't think straight. I was probably the boringest visitor ever.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/24/10 11:02 a.m.

We wired up the tach and lighting for the gauges last night. Mounted the third brake light and harness.

Waiting on some brake parts to arrive. The tires were supposed to be ready today but for some reason the shop is closed... like its Christmas Eve or something.

Looking forward to a good competition. I want to beat the Lincoln team but certainly not by a big mechanical failure, wreck, or something that keeps them from starting. I want to do it by lapping their slow POS

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/24/10 11:47 a.m.

Back at you, Greg. Steve and I just finished another round of parts that should fix (nearly) all our woes. Turns out junkyard alternators aren't completely reliable, so we'll be returning yours shortly.

I'm getting pretty excited about this event.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
12/24/10 12:33 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Will trade beer for sage guidance!

I dunno...beer for sage advice? Only advice I got on sage, is don't use too much in the chili! I guess I forgot that you shouldn't drive through it if you have the chance...tough on tires!

Will that count?

leigerreign
leigerreign New Reader
12/25/10 7:18 p.m.

I can not wait for this race!!!

Its going to be very exciting. I'm confident in the Lincoln's ability. It should be moderately quick but will definitely endure through a lot of abuse. I cant wait to see it in action.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/26/10 10:10 p.m.

More testing is on tomorrow's schedule. The last few days have been super productive, we've got everything working except the gauges. We've got a last minute test on the schedule tomorrow to see what happens after everything gets hot.

Brakes are still the big question mark. The right combination of jumpers and power wires to the ABS voodoo devices on the master cylinder is working for the most part, but is unpredictable; it will go from lots of assist in one corner to virtually no assist in the next, but otherwise works and seems pretty durable so far. We're hoping to find out how fade-resistant they'll be.

More photos and update details here...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/26/10 11:02 p.m.

Gotta admit - looking at that half mile long straightaway into a 200* tight right hander has me wondering just how many 1200 degree brake pad changes I'm in for.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
12/27/10 7:11 a.m.

man i wish i lived closer to you guys.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/10 7:56 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Gotta admit - looking at that half mile long straightaway into a 200* tight right hander has me wondering just how many 1200 degree brake pad changes I'm in for.

All of them, Dave... all of them!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/27/10 8:23 a.m.

Hmm - I wonder just how bad of an idea it would be to spray the brakes down with water from a bug sprayer for 15 - 20 seconds prior to diving in.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/10 10:35 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Hmm - I wonder just *how* bad of an idea it would be to spray the brakes down with water from a bug sprayer for 15 - 20 seconds prior to diving in.

got cooling ducts? if so, get some of the "mist" style windshield squirter nozzles (not the "jet" style) and plumb them into your brake ducts. wire pump with relay. trigger relay with brake switch.

if it makes your brakes suck balls, you did not get this tech tip from me.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/10 12:22 p.m.
PoorBoy Racing wrote: ChumpCar has a team that will love racing with you guys. USS Enterprise out of Charlotte NC.

I drove that car at VIR and CMP. It's fast. I'd love to see GRM out there! Gotta wait to see if Dwight and Jim want to haul that far.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/28/10 3:37 p.m.

We've made the right changes, and both our charging system and our carburetor are now ready for war.

It was uncharacteristically cold yesterday for our test. We had to bundle up to stay warm.

We made a few last-minute tweeks to the carburetor before heading on track.

I'll be back on later tonight to add some photos and such, but for now I'm back to turning wrenches. In the meantime, you can check out a small gallery of photos from our test session while we're working on the latest updates... Lincoln testing photos

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/28/10 3:42 p.m.

Boy it would have been nice to get an invitation to that second test day. We may have to withhold that spare trans offer

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/28/10 8:54 p.m.

Good luck to everybody....(lucky bastards)

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/10 9:58 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: In reply to Junkyard_Dog: Yeah, we had the Lincoln out fir testing yesterday, and we are continuing work (mostly chasing parts) today. Sorry I missed your visit!

Does that mean you were picking up a christmas tree?

lewbud
lewbud Reader
12/29/10 10:22 a.m.

You guys doing any races outside of Florida? Say like Eagles Canyon in Feb?

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
12/29/10 10:54 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: It was uncharacteristically cold yesterday for our test. We had to bundle up to stay warm.

Dropped below 75 degrees? Tropical softies

Looking forward to all the in-car video, pictures of carnage and stories of greatness.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/29/10 1:16 p.m.

Leaving work in a few. Hoping to be sleeping south of GRM land tonight.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/29/10 1:24 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Leaving work in a few. Hoping to be sleeping south of GRM land tonight.

Travel safe. Honk as you pass through town.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OEq2WBTtGv8SPf37wrfQxcANvKx5KNkYQxMH1EhSDERbCCgd6U9YUxeedYvqgtGa