1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
4/12/12 3:24 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote:
I Am Keyser Söze wrote: But does it answer the question as to why Automotive companies think stupid commercials with CGI animals in them are a good way to sell a car??? Riddle me that.
Not all CGI. Steve and I met the girl who was one of the hamster drivers....

Was she hot? Where;s the pics?

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/12/12 3:27 p.m.

I don't much care for that shape of car in general, but was thinking the other day when seeing one on the road that the Soul looks WAY cooler than an xB or Cube, especially the one I saw which had slightly larger and wider wheels so looked more SUV-ish.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/12/12 3:28 p.m.

(Those two upmarket models, by the way, carry the somewhat unconventional + and ! designations.)

ahem...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
4/12/12 3:43 p.m.
4eyes wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: Is it me or are the "ugly" cars of old now some of the most fun and cool cars to own? I'd love to own a: Pacer, Hornet, Volare', Gremlin, Matador, Thing (Type 181), Pinto, Chevette, Mustang II. I'm guessing these new cars will only get cooler as time marches on.
It must be you, because it sure as hell aint me.

Yeah, I can just see it now: "Hey 4eyes, I have this Hornet and a Pacer for you!". Naw, I'm good. You can keep 'em. They're ugly!"

Duke
Duke UberDork
4/12/12 3:50 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Is it me or are the "ugly" cars of old now some of the most fun and cool cars to own? I'd love to own a: Pacer, Hornet, Volare', Gremlin, Matador, Thing (Type 181), Pinto, Chevette, Mustang II.

It's not me, it's you. I've hated at least 7 of those cars since they were new. Particularly the later Matador, which is among the Top 5 in my pantheon of Most Hideous and Ill-proportioned Cars Ever Made.

And I will never forgive Chrysler for the Louis XIV trunk trim and taillights on the Aspen/Volare SE. It's so hideous - even by 1977 standards - that I can't even find a picture of it on the net.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
4/12/12 4:00 p.m.
Duke wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: Is it me or are the "ugly" cars of old now some of the most fun and cool cars to own? I'd love to own a: Pacer, Hornet, Volare', Gremlin, Matador, Thing (Type 181), Pinto, Chevette, Mustang II.
It's not me, it's you. I've hated at least 7 of those cars since they were new. Particularly the later Matador, which is among the Top 5 in my pantheon of Most Hideous and Ill-proportioned Cars Ever Made. And I will never forgive Chrysler for the Louis XIV trunk trim and taillights on the Aspen/Volare SE. It's so hideous - even by 1977 standards - that I can't even find a picture of it on the net.

Wow. "Lusting after" and "cool/fun to own" are two very different things. Just wondering if that was too obvious or not.

This "hatred" for ugly cars on a site that features an S10 with a boat body in the forums

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/12/12 4:20 p.m.

What kind of gas mileage is it getting?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/12 5:26 p.m.

while I would not go out and buy a soul (I don't need a trucklet/suv) I would not kick one out of bed if given one to drive

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
4/12/12 6:45 p.m.

I just ordered a Soul + with a manual. I really like them. I got reamed out in another thread for saying I liked the Veloster's looks but I think Hyundai/Kia are on a roll.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/12/12 8:11 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Is it me or are the "ugly" cars of old now some of the most fun and cool cars to own? I'd love to own a: Pacer, Hornet, Volare', Gremlin, Matador, Thing (Type 181), Pinto, Chevette, Mustang II. I'm guessing these new cars will only get cooler as time marches on.

No it isn't just you. I would rock most of those cars (minus the Chevette or Matador).

To me the box has been beat to death, between the Element, xB, Soul and Cube.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
4/12/12 10:21 p.m.

Can't afford it, but they do look reasonable.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
4/12/12 11:04 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory: It's not just that they are grossly misproportioned, it's that the AMCs in particular replaced some great cars. IE Javelin, AMX, etc. I'm old enough to remember the era of great cars that came before the "gas crisis"/insurance HP-war and automotive blight it wrought.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/13/12 1:42 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: I just ordered a Soul + with a manual.

That's what my brother bought. He got lucky and found one at his local dealership. It was even in the color he wanted.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
4/13/12 5:27 a.m.

I've been waiting for a long time for some of the funkier designs to come over here from Asia, and I would put this in that category. I like it. My 70 year old mom has one, and she's very happy with it.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/13/12 6:29 a.m.

The white ones look like stormtrooper helmets to me. I like (a bit)

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/13/12 7:05 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote:
I Am Keyser Söze wrote: But does it answer the question as to why Automotive companies think stupid commercials with CGI animals in them are a good way to sell a car??? Riddle me that.
Not all CGI. Steve and I met the girl who was one of the hamster drivers....

No. I did not need to hear this. I do not want to believe that you guys hang out with furries

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
4/13/12 7:59 a.m.

I like the looks of the soul, especially in bright red. One thing I've noticed though: The exterior falls apart quickly. I've seen a few with missing trim pieces, and the reflective stickers that I guess are supposed to look like lights peeling off.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/13/12 8:09 a.m.

As the owner of a 2011 Soul+ I can say that it is in fact, not ugly. It is actually quite attractive. If you like the original Mini, then you like the look of a two-box design, and this is very similar, so it is not ugly. In fact, it has a lot of cool little details as you walk around it. So once again, not ugly.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/13/12 9:01 a.m.

To go back to my original post for a minute: yeah I put the Soul in the same FWD appliance yawner category I mentioned.

But I have to say that if I were looking for a FWD yawner as an only vehicle and had no pretensions of doing anything 'sporting' with it, the Soul would be way up there on my 'gotta check out' list. It would certainly be ahead of the Camry, for instance, on a combination of cost and possibly much better perceived utility. The Cube and the xB would not be as far up the list mostly because they are trying too hard to be too funky, particularly the Cube.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/13/12 9:35 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: To go back to my original post for a minute: yeah I put the Soul in the same FWD appliance yawner category I mentioned. But I have to say that if I were looking for a FWD yawner as an only vehicle and had no pretensions of doing anything 'sporting' with it, the Soul would be way up there on my 'gotta check out' list. It would certainly be ahead of the Camry, for instance, on a combination of cost and possibly much better perceived utility. The Cube and the xB would not be as far up the list mostly because they are trying too hard to be too funky, particularly the Cube.

The Soul (especially in manual) is much more fun to drive than an xB or a Cube. I flogged one pretty enthusiastically on the very twisty part of PCH near Big Sur in California. The more I threw at the Soul, the more it surprised me. I wasn't flogging the car at 10-10ths (not with 1000 foot cliffs beneath me!) but it handled way better than I thought it would.

With a manual the Soul is actually a pretty fun little ride.

I Am Keyser Söze
I Am Keyser Söze SuperDork
4/13/12 1:04 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: LOL Lemmiwinks?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BnODe4959rLKAcclwVLv8zrvCbgBZanLFse0R6quT1mObG9FHQCcn3FT0UGZPxPq