1 2
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
3/15/12 10:14 a.m.

Yep, that little backwards-hat oddball. Driving dynamics are great, but the looks are divisive.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2012-mini-cooper-s-coupe/

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/15/12 10:15 a.m.

Sweet. I personally love the looks of the little goofy bugger. Good to know it drives swanky too.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/15/12 10:16 a.m.

"Swanky" is now the official word, motto, mantra, and lifestyle of MX6 Mafia.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/15/12 10:23 a.m.

LIKE A SIR!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/15/12 10:24 a.m.

We gon' roll in all swanky LIKE A SIR.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/15/12 10:30 a.m.

While not personally a fan, I love that MINI is releasing so many bodystyles. Back in the day every car had multiple forms (usually coupe, hardtop, sedan, convertible, and wagon) and now we're lucky to get two. The normal Cooper now comes in hatchback, convertible, clubman, roadster, and coupe forms. Bravo!

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/15/12 11:19 a.m.

And a soft-core SUV too!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
3/15/12 11:26 a.m.

Goofy

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
3/15/12 11:57 a.m.

I don't quite understand the business case for this one... Will MINI actually sell more than a handful of these? Who is going to buy these except for people already shopping other MINI models?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/15/12 12:14 p.m.

I still want a Mini Cooper S pickup.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
3/15/12 1:30 p.m.

no LSD, no care.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
3/15/12 2:27 p.m.

$33,400 minus a discount (a generous $2,000?) plus Will County, Illinois Sales Tax = $34,000.

It seems like a LOT of money for this little car. IF I had that kinda cash to burn; I would be getting myself a 6-speed hemi and living on gas station credit cards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-5-7L-HEADER-ORANGE-6-SPEED-SUPER-TRACK-PAK-SOUND-GROUP-II-SAT-/300678379826?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4601d3f932

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
3/15/12 3:18 p.m.

I kinda like the overall profile of the coupe, but the trailing edge detail of the roof makes it look like a cheap toupee.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
3/15/12 3:21 p.m.

For some performance-per-dollar perspective, the same money will buy a new Mustang 5.0 or a used Corvette C6. The niche who is interested in buying this car is razor thin.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
3/15/12 3:23 p.m.

Pretty sure it is the answer to a question nobody asked.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
3/15/12 3:29 p.m.
nderwater wrote: I don't quite understand the business case for this one... Will MINI actually sell more than a handful of these? Who is going to buy these except for people already shopping other MINI models?

Same business case as it took back in the '60s to make a 2 and 4 door sedan , 2 door coupe, and 2 and 4 door wagons out of the same basic body. As was said before, it used to be the norm to get more than one or two bodystyles for the same basic car. It's good to see the variety coming back.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
3/15/12 3:35 p.m.

I could almost like these but for 2 "small" details:

At 6 ft 4, I don't think I would be comfortable getting into this car or seated driving it. And while they are somewhat "practical" I don't care for cars with rear spoilers that extend once you reach a certain speed...Porsches being the exception to the rule.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
3/15/12 3:37 p.m.

Oh, and I really don't care for the 2 colored stripes, (one color on the hood to contrast, and a different color on the top to contrast) tho I would think they are an option?

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
3/15/12 3:44 p.m.

It reads to me like the looks were not divisive in the least. It's pretty universally regarded as "fugly."

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
3/15/12 4:05 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
nderwater wrote: I don't quite understand the business case for this one... Will MINI actually sell more than a handful of these? Who is going to buy these except for people already shopping other MINI models?

Same business case as it took back in the '60s to make a 2 and 4 door sedan , 2 door coupe, and 2 and 4 door wagons out of the same basic body. As was said before, it used to be the norm to get more than one or two bodystyles for the same basic car. It's good to see the variety coming back.

But this is no Rabbit to a Scirocco. The key is making the coupe look better. Otherwise you just have an inconvenient ugly car more money.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
3/15/12 4:06 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: Pretty sure it is the answer to a question nobody asked.

That pretty much sums it up.

Do most people even realize that the Cooper has 4 seats to begin with out of curiosity? All the non car people I know think they only have 2.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
3/15/12 4:13 p.m.
The0retical wrote:
Otto Maddox wrote: Pretty sure it is the answer to a question nobody asked.

That pretty much sums it up.

Do most people even realize that the Cooper has 4 seats to begin with out of curiosity? All the non car people I know think they only have 2.

Most people who shop one realize that. They're not having any trouble selling standard Coopers.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
3/15/12 4:23 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote:
The0retical wrote:
Otto Maddox wrote: Pretty sure it is the answer to a question nobody asked.

That pretty much sums it up.

Do most people even realize that the Cooper has 4 seats to begin with out of curiosity? All the non car people I know think they only have 2.

Most people who shop one realize that. They're not having any trouble selling standard Coopers.

Yes but Coopers are cute, at least according to the wife. This looks like it's targeted at a group that will slip a roofie into your drink while it's playing Modern Warfare and scream horrible your mamma jokes four octaves too high. Divisive seems to be the correct word.

Edit: Did they at least shave a bunch of weight dropping a back seat?

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
3/15/12 4:32 p.m.

That thing is hideous.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/15/12 4:52 p.m.

I want to like it, I really do, but there is just something amiss with the styling.........

It's kinda like one of those supermodels that when you first look at her you go "Whoa!".......but the more you look at her the more you think that, while not hideous, she's just not really all that and a ham sammich.

And the pricing is too expensive. The MINIs can get expensive when all optioned up/tarted up, but this one is spendy right out of the gate....for a teeny little thing.

If I had mid 30's to spend on a car, I'd want more cylinders.

1 2
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
BIa31qZ8OoNj8VcnETRuGiQTkr1K4NWS