1 2 3
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
6/21/12 1:02 p.m.

We got a chance to sample one of Nissan's new vans—and also tried their vehicle design toy on their website. Would you consider one of these when you look for your next work van? It's way bigger than a Miata.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2012-nissan-nv-2500-v6-sv-standard-roof/

ransom
ransom Dork
6/21/12 1:06 p.m.

It could happen. Though it'd take more research; those things are powerfully ugly compared to the Sprinter or Transit (for which I am waiting with bated breath).

I am excited about the general updating of the van options out there.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
6/21/12 1:09 p.m.
  1. How fast can it slalom?
  2. How much can it tow?
  3. Can a miata fit inside it?
Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
6/21/12 1:40 p.m.

I have always thought of making an office van and I can travel and work anywhere I want. I already do this via laptop and iPad but a cooler office would be sweet.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
6/21/12 1:42 p.m.

To me, anything like that without a diesel engine is kind of pointless.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
6/21/12 1:48 p.m.

is it weird that i was more interested in this review than the recent porsche one?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
6/21/12 1:55 p.m.

Nissan seems to excel at making hideously ugly vehicles, and this one's no exception.

I was thinking the last few days that if somebody made a small, 4 cylinder van available with a 5 spd, I would buy one. This isn't that, and I can't imagine there's big market for this.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/21/12 1:56 p.m.

I like these muchly. The tall tops are HILARIOUSLY ugly. At least it looks like a proper van. Took me forever to figure out why the nose was so stinking long though.

alex
alex UltraDork
6/21/12 1:59 p.m.

Are these built on an existing platform? Titan/Tundra?

nocones
nocones Dork
6/21/12 2:03 p.m.

There built on the tundra platform.

Seriously though my understanding is they share lots of components with the frontier/titan.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/21/12 2:07 p.m.

Ill be excited when it gets the 2.8 litre diesel nissan is supposedly working with the DOE on

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05/cummins-feds-developing-four-cylinder-diesel-for-nissan-titan.html

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
6/21/12 2:23 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: if somebody made a small, 4 cylinder van available with a 5 spd, I would buy one.

The Ford transit Connect (little baby one based on the Focus) comes in 4cyl (and even more interesting, electric, for in-town deliveries). Dunno about the stick though.

The NV series has good looking specs, too bad they are so ugly.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/21/12 2:40 p.m.

A friend of mine works for Johnson Controls and has a Ford Transit as his company car. He absolutely hates it, says it is horribly gutless, almost dangerously so. I kind of like them, so I was plumbing him for info.....I couldn't get him to say one positive thing about it.

He can't wait until their lease is up so he can get out of that penalty box.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/21/12 2:43 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: A friend of mine works for Johnson Controls and has a Ford Transit as his company car. He absolutely hates it, says it is horribly gutless, almost dangerously so. I kind of like them, so I was plumbing him for info.....I couldn't get him to say one positive thing about it. He can't wait until their lease is up so he can get out of that penalty box.

OTOH, Hal, a poster here has one, and he seems to love it.

vehicle likeage is very dependant on how it's used.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
6/21/12 2:56 p.m.

The NV looks like a used-market-dream camper. Hopefully they are so ugly that lots of fleets will buy them, but the general public will detest them.

Quigley is already in the works of making parts for a lift kit, and I think its only a matter of time before we see proper adventure vehicles.

Next, Nissan adds a small liter diesel with low maintenance intervals and sign me up.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
6/21/12 3:02 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: To me, anything like that without a diesel engine is kind of pointless.

When diesel here holds strong at 3.80-4.00/gal.....it never makes up the difference.

I drive a Chevy Express 2500 6.0L 2wd for work everyday. Tooling around town, I get about 15-17mpg. I rarely get on the highway anymore, but before it was getting 19-22 there.

I highly doubt the proper full size van diesels get better(duramax 6.6, 6.4/6.7 powerstroke) The sprinter and newer ones might do better, but not by that much

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
6/21/12 3:03 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: if somebody made a small, 4 cylinder van available with a 5 spd, I would buy one.
The Ford transit Connect (little baby one based on the Focus) comes in 4cyl (and even more interesting, electric, for in-town deliveries). Dunno about the stick though.

Not a Ford guy, but I priced one when they first came out, and they were RIDICULOUSLY expensive. That and they're even a little too small. I was thinking Caravan cargo size, then I could throw a bike in the back if I wanted to.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/21/12 3:11 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
Javelin wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: if somebody made a small, 4 cylinder van available with a 5 spd, I would buy one.
The Ford transit Connect (little baby one based on the Focus) comes in 4cyl (and even more interesting, electric, for in-town deliveries). Dunno about the stick though.

Not a Ford guy, but I priced one when they first came out, and they were RIDICULOUSLY expensive. That and they're even a little too small. I was thinking Caravan cargo size, then I could throw a bike in the back if I wanted to.

And I'm pretty sure they do not come with manuals here in the US. Which I do realize matters a lot.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
6/21/12 3:12 p.m.

I'm sure it's a fine work truck.
But my two year old Chevy Express van appeals to me more.
What does that thing cost? I bought my Express new for $20,700. It's a V6 (4.3) and tows my race-Spridget with no issues. Gets almost 18 mpg and almost 15 mpg towing. Parts and repairs (if ever needed) are stupid cheap.
Been away to at least 10 race week-ends with it. Very happy so far.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/21/12 3:27 p.m.

I can tolerate a lot of ugliness in a utility vehicle... but the NV sets a standard even I cannot take.

I also agree the Transit Connect is just too small. Were I shopping for such a vehicle, I'd probably get the new Ram cargo version of the Caravan.

Regardless, I wouldn't do anything until more info about the E-series replacement becomes available.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
6/21/12 3:34 p.m.

The problem with that van is that the front ugliness doesn't work with the back ugliness. It's like 2 different trucks put together.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/21/12 3:35 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
Javelin wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: if somebody made a small, 4 cylinder van available with a 5 spd, I would buy one.
The Ford transit Connect (little baby one based on the Focus) comes in 4cyl (and even more interesting, electric, for in-town deliveries). Dunno about the stick though.

Not a Ford guy, but I priced one when they first came out, and they were RIDICULOUSLY expensive. That and they're even a little too small. I was thinking Caravan cargo size, then I could throw a bike in the back if I wanted to.

You can haul a streetbike/sportbike in the transit connect but the front wheel has to go between the front seats

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/21/12 3:36 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: The problem with that van is that the front ugliness doesn't work with the back ugliness. It's like 2 different trucks put together.

The reviews I have read though its nice. You have actual foot room and your legs don't cook from the engine being in the cab

Cotton
Cotton Dork
6/21/12 3:47 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Otto Maddox wrote: To me, anything like that without a diesel engine is kind of pointless.

When diesel here holds strong at 3.80-4.00/gal.....it never makes up the difference.

I drive a Chevy Express 2500 6.0L 2wd for work everyday. Tooling around town, I get about 15-17mpg. I rarely get on the highway anymore, but before it was getting 19-22 there.

I highly doubt the proper full size van diesels get better(duramax 6.6, 6.4/6.7 powerstroke) The sprinter and newer ones might do better, but not by that much

I bought my diesel for the power, not the ecomomy, but mine actually gets pretty decent mpg.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/21/12 5:21 p.m.

I have only seen them from behind. One of the bands that came to the Borgata was using one to haul their backline around. the rear and inside looked very nice

1 2 3
TFsgDDxV95qG9BdzMnJbkIwIpG5dhlA9