Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
6/28/12 8:51 a.m.

If you've ever had interest in one of those cute utes, this... well, it's one of them.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2012-nissan-rogue-sv/

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/28/12 9:06 a.m.

Normally I would say why the hell is GRM doing this kinda review but my fiance is about to need a new vehicle in the next year or so and she really likes the cute utes. So I am kinda hoping you will do a new Mazda CX5 review.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
6/28/12 9:12 a.m.

Well then you should get a v6 rav4 so you can race it while she's not looking.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
6/28/12 10:47 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Normally I would say why the hell is GRM doing this kinda review but my fiance is about to need a new vehicle in the next year or so and she really likes the cute utes. So I am kinda hoping you will do a new Mazda CX5 review.

And that's exactly why we do them. Our readers prefer sports cars, but our readers have families and girlfriends and others with practical needs, too. You can't always sell your fiance on buying 3 Miatas. I lent my Miata to my then-girlfriend a couple of winters ago. She described it as, "driving a noisy tin can with wax-paper windows."

In the next few weeks we'll have a Honda CR-V and Mazda CX-5 review. JG's synopsis of the new CX-5: "The best small SUV EVER."

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
6/28/12 10:52 a.m.

The front end on the Rogue is easier to handle than the one on the Juke for certain.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
6/28/12 11:34 a.m.

Maybe it's just me but I actually have as much interest, sometimes more, in reading this stuff than I do about a review of the newest Ferrari. As much as I like them, I find it hard to get excited about a review of a car that costs $200k and can do 0-60 in 3sec or pull .95g on the skidpad. First of all, for that kind of cash it damn well better be capable of eye popping numbers. Second, I'll probably never own one anyway. So while it's cool in a fantasy kind of way, it has little meaning to me. I'm more interested in "real world" cars and what I/my family/friends can get for our buck. Show me a car that can do 0-60 in 6 seconds and only costs $20k and you've got my interest. Or one that can haul all my family stuff, drive well and get good mileage for $18k.

As for the Rogue, I agree it's rental car fodder. Very meh.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
6/28/12 12:33 p.m.

I feel somewhat the same way that Klayfish does, but with the addition that sometime in the near future, when I need a car other than the latest supercar or trackday wonder...I'll want to know which is the sportiest "cute ute". Or...which 4 door sedan does NOT put you to sleep while driving it, or which large pickup or SUV is better than the others when it comes to being a good driver and a good hauler.

Besides, the more opinions that are available about ANY product, especially cars, the better informed you can be when you "hit the showroom."

So please, feel free to keep these types of vehicles in the test fleet and write about them.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
6/28/12 4:32 p.m.

I'm never buying a minivan or cute ute, at least I hope not, so the exotic reviews appeal more to me. Not that I could buy one new, but it's nice to day dream about what the used car market will look like in 20 years.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/28/12 4:50 p.m.

Also, please realize that we're not saying that you have to drive these cars. We get the chance to sample them, so we take a few minutes to post our views online. This week we have the Acura version of the Civic and a Nissan Juke.

jrg77
jrg77 Reader
6/28/12 8:03 p.m.

The GRM perspective is ALWAYS more insightful than those other mags, even if it is a nothing car. And hopefully the carmakers send you guys Every car that has a manual trans in it so the "Can I race it?" question can be answered. Other important questions: Will it tow my race car? Will my SO forbid it? My kids will fit until what age? Can I fake out the cops and the insurance agent with it?

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
6/29/12 11:07 a.m.
I'll want to know which is the sportiest "cute ute".

v6 rav4 run 14s, 13s with bolt-ons, just sayin.

Also the back seat is pretty sweet for trips. I like the looks if they've got the optional wheels (or aftermarket) and a little lowering would be awesome although ive never seen it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
6/29/12 12:54 p.m.

For me, the CX-5 is like a black hole. I don't really want to go there, but I can't help but feel attracted to it, and I'm afraid that if I get too close I won't be able to get out.

The previous reviews I've read have all basically been along the lines of "the best driving CUV on the market, hands-down"

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/12 1:06 p.m.

All car reviews from a trusted source are welcome.

I'm just waiting for somebody here to take the AWD system out of a CX-5 and slap it into an Mazdaspeed3.

Edit: wait, it's old news, nevermind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Rn_shEBbs

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
6/29/12 1:48 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Also, please realize that we're not saying that you have to drive these cars. We get the chance to sample them, so we take a few minutes to post our views online. This week we have the Acura version of the Civic and a Nissan Juke.

I'm curious as to y'all's take on the ILX.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
6/30/12 9:41 a.m.
All car reviews from a trusted source are welcome.

Amen to that!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vnWVQxxcvxqe6vOa9qB2rvIb2SmYScNq2gLAzSnYvuK52JlnaHJhrHGCaJDlYlV9