1 2 3 4
z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/23/12 6:45 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to rotard: Y'all have very different definitions of underpowered then me. A 2CV is underpowered. A FRS isn't.

No, you just like slow cars.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/23/12 6:55 p.m.

I see the price gouging has already been mentioned... let the comparisons to the V6 Mustang and a Hyundai Genesis begin!

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
8/23/12 7:13 p.m.

I know most won't buy it for the MPG, but frankly, I'm shocked at how low it is for such a small, light car with relatively crummy tires and power. Really, if it got 5 mpg better, nobody would be surprised. My Saturn Sky Redline is about 5 years older, a little heavier, has bigger and better tires, has 50% more power, and 100% more torque...yet still gets almost the same fuel economy.

Bryce

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/23/12 7:30 p.m.

Gearing doesn't help it. 4.10 rear end isn't highway friendly.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/23/12 8:14 p.m.

It is one of the highest average economy RWD cars on Fuelly.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/brz
http://www.fuelly.com/car/scion/fr-s

Mileage is on par with FWD 4-bangers. I really don't see how you can be shocked by how low it is. Its great.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
8/23/12 8:43 p.m.

Hey Datsun310Guy:

I visited Japan 3 times in the '80s. Being a car guy, I noticed right away that most Japanese cars were a dark color (dark blue, dark green, dark brown), maybe 45% to 50% were a dark color, but NOT black. About 5% of cars seemed to be black, usually cars like top-of-the-line Toyotas and Nissans (the equivalent of Cadillacs and Lincolns in this country). There were white cars, maybe 30%-35% and there were red cars.

But here's the thing....ALL the white cars and all the red cars WERE THE EXACT SAME SHADE OF WHITE OR RED. There was no "French Vanilla" (a Ford color of the '70s and '80s), no "off whites" but all white cars were refrigerator white. ALL red cars were that "fireman's offical vehicle" shade of red. No Dark Merlot, no orangey red....just the same shade, be it a Nissan, Honda, or Toyota. I understand that that changed in the late '80s/early '90s.

FINALLY, a co-worker (American) in Japan told me that when you see a red car in Japan, you can be 95% assured it is being driven by a woman. Men NEVER drive a red car, except for firemen. Women rarely drive a white car.

Oh, BTW, somewhat off topic, but Mazda has introduced a limited edition for the European market...a white Miata with charcoal colored wheels and charcoal colored body accents.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/23/12 9:23 p.m.

Watched two of these run at the autocross this weekend surrounded by the usual assortment of Miatas. Honestly, the Miatas performed better and were far better balanced and stable. I'm glad to have these new cars in the marketplace and I'm sure that there is some tuning to do. For now, I won't be getting in line for one.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
8/23/12 9:54 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I see the price gouging has already been mentioned... let the comparisons to the V6 Mustang and a Hyundai Genesis begin!

Done and done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3hgleEOXA

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6776

Yes, it's MT, but the actual driving around the Streets of Willow was done by Randy Pobst, whom I trust more than MT's typical advertorial writers.

Vracer111
Vracer111 New Reader
8/23/12 10:03 p.m.
ZOO wrote: I did a "fun run" in one last week at an autox. I really liked it, too. I think it is a handsome, understated car that is as honest as any new car can be. I didn't "heel and toe" -- someone told me the override on the brakes made that impossible. Any one know about that?

From what I've read, as long as you hit the brake about 80% first you are good...if you brush the gas while going hard for the brakes you are not good and the car will go into stupid mode. I don't heel/toe in it because frankly its not setup to heel/toe well for me - my Tacoma is perfect for heel/toe in comparison. The FR-S is a far cry from perfect for it... the brake/gas pedal relationship is totally uncomfortable and awkward. I might try the JDM accessory gas pedal which is really set up for Heel/Toe much better...but that depth difference between the brake and gas pedal needs some work.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/12 8:03 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: My own theory is a bit shorter: Because Takumi's AE86 was white.

Actually it was the two-tone white & black "panda" paint. But I've seen some modded with this paint job already.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/24/12 8:17 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: What a wonderful world we live in these days when a 94-95mph quarter mile trap translates to "so underpowered." Good times, my friends, good times.
Nothing like 15 years of innovation and technology to provide the same acceleration as an Integra Type R. The BR-S is underpowered. Is that a horrible thing? No, but that doesn't mean we ignore the fact.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone say an Integra Type R was underpowered.

That was the point.

I just don't understand the planet we're on that a car that gets in the 14s is considered "underpowered."

Bear in mind that this post was typed by someone whose daily driver would dip in the 11s if it could catch traction. Just as a reference.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/24/12 8:18 a.m.
rotard wrote: It's definitely under-powered, just like the RX-8 is under-powered, the Miata is under-powered, and the 128i is under-powered.

I mean... i guess? I can't think of a car that i wouldn't add power to, somehow...

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/12 8:33 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: In reply to imirk: Except there's a premium price for White. That's what I wanted until I saw they charged more for it.

Dude....It's $220. They probably charge that much for floor mats.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/24/12 8:37 a.m.
Tyler H wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: In reply to imirk: Except there's a premium price for White. That's what I wanted until I saw they charged more for it.
Dude....It's $220. They probably charge that much for floor mats.

Holy E36 M3 SOOOOOOOOOOO NOT worth it!

rotard
rotard Dork
8/24/12 8:56 a.m.

The thing would probably have trouble taking a 1989 Taurus SHO in a drag race....

Seriously, though, I just got tired of driving sports cars that would get smoked by a V6 Camry. I still like them, but I can accept the fact that they're under-powered.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/24/12 8:58 a.m.
rotard wrote: The thing would probably have trouble taking a 1989 Taurus SHO in a drag race....

Which, despite being a half second or more slower in the quarter mile, is not a car that i've really ever heard anyone say is "underpowered."

Fun data point, adjusting for inflation, the 1989 Taurus SHO is a $36.5k car.

rotard
rotard Dork
8/24/12 9:01 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
rotard wrote: The thing would probably have trouble taking a 1989 Taurus SHO in a drag race....
Which, despite being a half second or more slower in the quarter mile, is not a car that i've really ever heard anyone say is "underpowered."

They both run high 14's with the Toreass having a higher trap speed. The SHO was definitely powerful for the late 80's. Not so much today...

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/24/12 9:02 a.m.
rotard wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
They both run high 14's, I dunno what you're smoking.

I'm "smoking" numbers found by mag tests on the internet. Thanks.

rotard
rotard Dork
8/24/12 9:04 a.m.

Mag racing is fun.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/24/12 9:15 a.m.

I realize "powerful for the day."

That's where my initial comment of "good times," came into play. It's amazing how quick new cheap stock cars are these days, and yet we still complain bitterly about it.

Horsepower wars never died!

rotard
rotard Dork
8/24/12 9:18 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I realize "powerful for the day." That's where my initial comment of "good times," came into play. It's amazing how quick new cheap stock cars are these days, and yet we still complain bitterly about it. Horsepower wars never died!

I've considered getting a Boxster S or Miata to replace my Z06. Let's hope that penis size is inversely proportional to horsepower.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/24/12 9:19 a.m.
rotard wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I realize "powerful for the day." That's where my initial comment of "good times," came into play. It's amazing how quick new cheap stock cars are these days, and yet we still complain bitterly about it. Horsepower wars never died!
I've considered getting a Boxster S or Miata to replace my Z06. Let's hope that penis size is inversely proportional to horsepower.

If nothing else, men will begin to find you attractive.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
8/24/12 9:34 a.m.

Interesting (minus the words on door)

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
8/24/12 10:22 a.m.

In 5 years, which will be cheaper:

Gensis Mustang BR-S?

My thinking is that in 5-10 years the Mustang will be a screaming deal.

Thing is, they will all be larger/heavier than anything from the 90's.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/24/12 10:39 a.m.

Eh, "Fighting weight" of the BRZ/FRS is very much on-par with stuff from the 90s. 2630-2650 is what I have been reading for a ready-to-autox car (no spare tire, jack, tools, etc)

Yes, the Mustang and Genesis will still be fat in 5 years.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
636khCZoNZxD8Zp5xikECB59ofvnKPn0j72UEs7xnS6ap7BBLeLQoAB72ZnUbTiW