1 2 3 ... 11
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
12/19/13 11:27 a.m.

Just wanted to let you guys know, a new GRM site is coming. It's essentially a new skin on the same bones, and you've already seen a lot of it if you've been over to ClassicMotorsports.net. That site was our test bed, and after a lot of adjustments and improvements, it's almost ready to come to GRM.

We're planning to launch it just after 11:59 p.m. Monday, December 30. At that time, the site will go down for a few minutes while we apply the updates. When you come back, everything will be fresh—forum post counts, posts, profiles and ride info will be wiped. Clean slate!

Now that you've reeled your eyeballs back: I'm totally kidding. The forum and everything in it will still be here, as will your dork status, profiles, rides, and so on. Some things will be in different places though, so naturally, it'll take a little adjusting at first. Once you're accustomed, we hope you like it.

Be aware that our mobile-only format, m.grassrootsmotorsports.com, will be gone. If you visit us from a smartphone, tablet, crystal ball, gas-fume-induced hallucinations, or other non-desktop/laptop computer, you'll see a new, self-adjusting mobile format at the regular URL.

If you want to try that out on your computer, you'll be able to just resize the window and see it shrink and shift to fit.

We realize this may not work for you if you have an older device with limited Internet capability, like an early Kindle. But going forward, and as you inevitably upgrade to newer equipment, you'll reap the benefits–like graphical elements that look great on high-DPI displays.

Thanks, as always, for supporting our independent magazine and building this fantastic community of car fanatics with us. We're pretty excited about this new look—it's been a long time coming—and I hope you like it as much as I do.

If you have any questions or problems to report, the best way to reach me is by email–either contact me via my profile, or send a web site question via the Contact page. Of course, I'll be watching this thread, too.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/19/13 12:11 p.m.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/19/13 12:27 p.m.

If I go over to CMS, I see what looks to be exactly the same site but with a little different skin on it.

So, there is no new functionality forthcoming? It's all man-behind-the-curtain updates?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/13 12:36 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: Be aware that our mobile-only format, m.grassrootsmotorsports.com, will be gone. If you visit us from a smartphone, tablet, crystal ball, gas-fume-induced hallucinations, or other non-desktop/laptop computer, you'll see a new, self-adjusting mobile format at the regular URL.

WHAT.

But seriously, that's very disappointing. I spend most of my time browsing GRM via the m.grm version because I very much appreciate the clean and purposeful layout (because racecar?). I went and explored the CMS mobile version some because I didn't want to bitch until I tested the new waters. When browsing from a mobile device, it's not terrible. I wouldn't say I like it much at the moment, but I'd get used to it (sidenote: it should have the Latest/New/Your/Top posts buttons on each page view, not just the overall forum view). My biggest, and only real, complaint is that I very much liked being able to browse using the mobile version from my desktop. Is there a method to view the new mobile version on the desktop as well? I don't think I'm the only one that does it.

Sincerely, -Disappointed in DC

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
12/19/13 12:53 p.m.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/19/13 12:55 p.m.

Will the new format make the forum less vulnerable to canoes?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/19/13 3:31 p.m.

I dont understand...how is this supposed to shave time off my runs in my Miata?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/13 3:44 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: But going forward, and as you inevitably upgrade to newer equipment...

You realize who you're talking to here, right? Guys who live for first generation Miatas, thirty year old BMW's, used cop cars, cobbled together bicycles and home-built everything else.

Inevitably upgrade to newer equipment?! Ha!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/19/13 3:49 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: We realize this may not work for you if you have an older device with limited Internet capability, like an early Kindle.

[giggle] Yup, that's me you are referring to .

Alan Cesar wrote: But going forward, and as you inevitably upgrade to newer equipment,

You left out "begrudgingly"

The new site does look a lot nicer from a computer, though.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/19/13 4:14 p.m.

Hooray. Maybe with the new site I will be able to log in and post from my phone. I haven't been able to log in to the mobile site since I first got a smartphone.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
12/19/13 8:43 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: . When you come back, everything will be fresh—forum post counts, posts, profiles and ride info will be wiped. Clean slate!

Damn...my heart stopped for a second or two.

plance1
plance1 Dork
12/20/13 12:16 a.m.

change for the sake of change?

plance1
plance1 Dork
12/20/13 12:17 a.m.

....and will I retain full trolling privileges?

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
12/20/13 12:23 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote:
Alan Cesar wrote: . When you come back, everything will be fresh—forum post counts, posts, profiles and ride info will be wiped. Clean slate!
Damn...my heart stopped for a second or two.

Really. I've posted an awful lot of worthless non information to get close to Super Dork.

As asked previously, will canoes be thwarted extra gooder?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/13 4:51 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Exactly what does this mean for me? Will I still be considered an shiny happy person by half of everyone here?

Oddly enough it will be the other half that thinks you're a shiny happy person while the people who think it now will love you like their own.

Alan Cesar
12/20/13 8:39 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Alan Cesar wrote: But going forward, and as you inevitably upgrade to newer equipment...
You realize who you're talking to here, right? Guys who live for first generation Miatas, thirty year old BMW's, used cop cars, cobbled together bicycles and home-built everything else. Inevitably upgrade to newer equipment?! Ha!

Heh, yep. But unlike E30s, cell phones typically only last a couple years before they're too slow or otherwise outdated to be anything but a once-expensive paperweight. Or do you guys still limp along on your old StarTACs too?

bluej wrote: Is there a method to view the new mobile version on the desktop as well? I don't think I'm the only one that does it. Sincerely, -Disappointed in DC

Not quite in the way you mean. But if you resize your browser window, you'll be able to see the mobile format of the site. If that appeals to you from a desktop, you can open the site in a separate window and make it the size you want. If you want something even simpler, there are a number of browser extensions that can help you with that. Like this one.

Jerry From LA wrote: Will the new format make the forum less vulnerable to canoes?
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: So, there is no new functionality forthcoming? It's all man-behind-the-curtain updates?

Sort of.
Site improvements are ongoing, perpetual. We're constantly looking at new ways to fight spam and have regularly implemented them. Same goes for site improvements, bug fixes, security.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/13 8:53 a.m.

I hope the redesign is as successful as the 2014 Kia Rondo redesign!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/20/13 8:58 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: If you visit us from a smartphone, tablet, crystal ball, gas-fume-induced hallucinations, or other non-desktop/laptop computer, you'll see a new, self-adjusting mobile format at the regular URL.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/20/13 9:02 a.m.

At first look I thought the thread title said... w/ a brief outrage

nevermind

Alan Cesar
12/20/13 9:46 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Alan Cesar wrote: If you visit us from a smartphone, tablet, crystal ball, gas-fume-induced hallucinations, or other non-desktop/laptop computer, you'll see a new, self-adjusting mobile format at the regular URL.

Eep. No. That site sucks at that.

fasted58 wrote: At first look I thought the thread title said... w/ a brief outrage nevermind

Your misinterpretation is also accurate.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/20/13 10:18 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: Not quite in the way you mean. But if you resize your browser window, you'll be able to see the mobile format of the site. If that appeals to you from a desktop, you can open the site in a separate window and make it the size you want. If you want something even simpler, there are a number of browser extensions that can help you with that. Like [this one](http://www.pcworld.com/article/261417/chrome_extension_readability_helps_you_format_pages_to_your_liking.html).

So I'm supposed to resize my browser window on the desktop until it's the size of reading off a mobile device? I can't tell if you're serious about that. Or other option is me setting up a plugin to strip all layout/design.

What I was really hoping for was: "We need to get the switch done and the kinks ironed out, but we could look into adding a button/link to force the mobile layout afterwards."

I'm not angry, and I'll stick around either way of course, but you did say this thread is the place for questions/concerns.

Alan Cesar
12/20/13 11:44 a.m.
bluej wrote: What I was really hoping for was: "We need to get the switch done and the kinks ironed out, but we could look into adding a button/link to force the mobile layout afterwards." I'm not angry, and I'll stick around either way of course, but you did say this thread is the place for questions/concerns.

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I do appreciate your feedback, and as several others here can tell you, we do seriously consider the suggestions you, our readers, visitors, and regular site users make. We try to accommodate your requests whenever we can.

Most sites are doing away with an m.mysite.com option because it's a ham-handed way of dealing with how different devices display a site today. We're no exception. We put substantial effort into making an adaptive site that could handle whatever device you threw it at. We don't do site redesigns often, so when we do, we like to make it as future-proof as possible.

More and more Internet users today are on mobile devices. I understand that you prefer the layout of m.grassrootsmotorsports.com, but it's not the best foot we can put forward for people who come to the site on a mobile device, and we don't have the resources to continue to support a very dated layout. Most people who visit mobile sites like that are always searching for the "full version" or "desktop version" button anyhow.

We think that once you're accustomed to how the new site works, you won't have trouble using it. If you really still want a simpler look, consider a browser plug-in.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
12/20/13 11:51 a.m.

FWIW I use an Android most of the time, and prefer the desktop version on my device.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/20/13 11:53 a.m.
plance1 wrote: ....and will I retain full trolling privileges?

no but Pinch and his 2014 Kia Rondo will be

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
12/22/13 9:39 a.m.

Just a clarification but we will still be able to access all the recent posts without looking for an archive site, correct?
Is there any talk about getting all of the old posts incorporated into the new one?

1 2 3 ... 11

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
6lNTDxUZCMaMqARHaX1iKVxyIaTpSB1StKxsH4rtgks0aH0nm3wiIoPjDYFBXHdG