1 2 3
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
3/6/12 10:35 a.m.

We recently took the car for a spin. Our capsule review is on the website now, and there's a thorough look at it coming in the next issue. We're pretty excited about this car—small, with plenty of thrust. What do you guys and gals think?

Take a peek. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2012-fiat-500-abarth/

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 10:45 a.m.

What do you think?

/thread

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
3/6/12 11:09 a.m.

I know its positioned more against the Cooper S, but what do you guys think about this against the Miata, especially as a daily driver?

Javelin
3/6/12 11:27 a.m.

It has a roof and a (tiny) backseat, so it's more practical. Power to weight is better but it's FWD versus RWD. That's a toss up of apples versus alligators. For me, it'd be the Abarth, for my wife it would be the Miata.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/6/12 11:58 a.m.

OK before I say anything was the Italian babe an accessory, because if it is in the package.... oh crap, my wife is looking over my shoulder.

"Hi honey"

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
3/6/12 12:09 p.m.

It's an expensive option.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
3/6/12 12:18 p.m.
Javelin wrote: What do you think? /thread

Thanks, now I can't stand up.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 12:19 p.m.

I think a Beetle and a Mini had a baby.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/6/12 1:19 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I think a Beetle and a Mini had a baby.

That snorted some coke and put on a Darth Vadar mask.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
3/6/12 1:27 p.m.

Sweet I'm looking forward to the full review. I'll drive one when I get home and then see if I should hold out for the 200 HP carbon fiber lightened version.

I personally like the look of the Abarth. The details distinguish it from the pedestrian version that you know it'll be trouble.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/6/12 1:30 p.m.

See I brought up in another thread a few days ago why buy this over a Cooper S, and someone said "$6K?"

Since when did a base Cooper S cost $28k?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
3/6/12 1:36 p.m.

It's just so darn hideous. If it was in a decent package that had some decent proportions, wasn't made by an Italian company with a spotty past, then I might be able to get excited. But it's not.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/6/12 1:37 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: It's just so darn hideous. If it was in a decent package that had some decent proportions, wasn't made by an Italian company with a spotty past, then I might be able to get excited. But it's not.

The looks are one thing... i don't particularly enjoy it...

But the 500 never really went away. They're very reliable cars overseas.

Javelin
3/6/12 1:38 p.m.

LOL at the Hyundai fan bashing a car company for it's supposedly "spotty" past!!!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
3/6/12 1:38 p.m.

Fiat in the US is another whole story.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
3/6/12 1:39 p.m.
Javelin wrote: LOL at the Hyundai fan bashing a car company for it's supposedly "spotty" past!!!

Hyundai didn't stop bringing cars into the country for almost 20 years. But at least it's not an expensive to maintain Miata, right?

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/6/12 1:41 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Fiat in the US is another whole story.

Ya aren't gettin' it. It's not really a brand new car made for Americans. It's a car that's been made for 5-6 years already that's now being brought to America.

I was wrong though.. the 500 did go away, my mistake. Came back in 07.

Javelin
3/6/12 1:43 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Javelin wrote: LOL at the Hyundai fan bashing a car company for it's supposedly "spotty" past!!!
Hyundai didn't stop bringing cars into the country. But at least it's not an expensive to maintain Miata, right?

Who cares whether importation stopped or not. MINI stopped and they're okay. It's just hilarious that you of all people would mention that a company's "perceived quality or reputation" would keep you from buying a car after how many times you've had to defend the makers of crap like the Pony and Excel here on this very board.

And have you tried to buy a CAS for a 1.6 Miata? Yeah, thought so. Get a hobby.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/6/12 1:49 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: It's just so darn hideous. If it was in a decent package that had some decent proportions, wasn't made by an Italian company with a spotty past, then I might be able to get excited. But it's not.

Hideous is a matter of opinion. Also I think it is a perfect size.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
3/6/12 1:57 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
Hyundai didn't stop bringing cars into the country. But at least it's not an expensive to maintain Miata, right?
Who cares whether importation stopped or not. MINI stopped and they're okay. It's just hilarious that you of all people would mention that a company's "perceived quality or reputation" would keep you from buying a car after how many times you've had to defend the makers of crap like the Pony and Excel here on this very board. And have you tried to buy a CAS for a 1.6 Miata? Yeah, thought so. Get a hobby.

Looks like someone's feminine undergarments appear to be tangled into a tight bunch. Hobby? I got too many. Hyundai stopped making hte Excel in 1995. The Pony in the 80's...you know when Fiat was selling what here? Oh, that's right. NOTHING. But hey, the Italians are definately known for being the best automakers on the planet for cheap, relialbe transportation. Right?

First off, I wouldn't expect anything to be cheap on a $1500 Miata. Secondly, why bother with a miata when I can play with pushrods and more power?

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/6/12 1:58 p.m.

AMERICAAA!!!!!!!!

yamaha
yamaha Reader
3/6/12 2:05 p.m.

the abarth is tempting, very tempting......I'll hold out to save and either put half down on one or buy an z3M just so bob knows what an arseraping feels like in SSM....

Also, any word on if scca is rethinking their ban on the 500 for being a "rollover risk"??? That and I'd bet it'll end up in at least C-stock

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/6/12 2:06 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: But hey, the Italians are definately known for being the best automakers on the planet for cheap, relialbe transportation. Right?

Ummm. Yeah. The original Fiat 500 and 600 were some of the most popular cheap cars for a long time. Also just like the Hyundai of today isn't like the Hyundai of yesterday the same is true of Fiat.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
3/6/12 2:09 p.m.

REally, when were they sold here?

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/6/12 2:15 p.m.
yamaha wrote: the abarth is tempting, very tempting......I'll hold out to save and either put half down on one or buy an z3M just so bob knows what an arseraping feels like in SSM.... Also, any word on if scca is rethinking their ban on the 500 for being a "rollover risk"??? That and I'd bet it'll end up in at least C-stock

It's not necessarily banned, they haven't gotten (or released) the rollover numbers calculations they get from the manufacturer or whomever controls that stuff.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1upaJKVKBf43y3RQQ5m76DQrxlAj6Fkobpi6Q1kmy5drAdZbreurBr9rxtNypmvy