NickD
NickD UberDork
11/3/18 7:35 p.m.

Was down at Tail Of The Dragon (from Rome, NY) and something let go in the bellhousing area of my supercharged Miata. Bad. Rattly, grind noises, can't get it into gear, won't move. I think it might be pressure plate or throw out bearing. 

Do we know any people in the area who could help? Or a shop that they recommend who will touch this thing?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/18 7:38 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Uh oh. I believe we have some members near there, but I don’t remember who offhand. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/3/18 7:50 p.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/AssistList/

Looks like there are a few people roughly in the area.

Adam

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/3/18 8:03 p.m.

Dusterbd13 is in that area I think.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/3/18 8:05 p.m.

Bret_Murphy is also a NC resident too I think?

cemike2
cemike2 Reader
11/3/18 10:27 p.m.

I have a house in Andrews, NC, But I'm overseas right now.  I can't help this time, sorry.

There'a a shop just off Hwy 19 in Andrews, I can't remember the name.  It's on the right side of the road, across from the Hardee's as you come out of the gorge.  They are pretty fair and honest.  They helped me out with my truck when I had problems.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/3/18 10:30 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Dusterbd13 is in that area I think. 

Indy-Guy said:

Bret_Murphy is also a NC resident too I think?

Both of them are even further than I am... which is about 4 hours away.  NC is a long state.

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/3/18 11:53 p.m.

Going to try and U-Haul it home

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/18 7:12 a.m.
NickD said:

Going to try and U-Haul it home

BTDT, good luck. 

I should have left my truck

trucke
trucke SuperDork
11/5/18 1:36 p.m.

You have a message.  Someone who might be able to help.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/5/18 1:40 p.m.

I'm too far to get to you, but maybe easier to tow it to my garage from where you are.

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/5/18 3:27 p.m.

Okay, update. Picked up a 10' box truck and dolly at the U-Haul in Anders, NC and towed it all the way home to NY. Just made it home about an hour again. Had never towed anything before and had to immediately tow it up through the Tail Of The Dragon. That was fun. No major incidents though, other than that the 4.8L in the truck was barely adequate for the job and it was a pricey bastard to fill up, and I had to do that several times (Averaging 13mpg and going 800 miles)

Also, figured out the noise is not in the clutch area (we were thinking it sheared the pressure plate bolts) but is actually internal to the transmission. With the engine off and the transmission in neutral, it still made an absolutely horrendous racket whenever we rolled it around. It also seems to have 7 neutrals now. We ended up pulling the driveshaft out of it to tow it.

Since I was headed up through PA, I swung by Planet Miata and the nice guys there hooked me up with a 84k mile 6-speed that should hold up a little longer under my engine. I just have to go get a set of 3.63:1 gears for it.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/18 5:25 p.m.

7 neutrals made me LOL

Seems to be a perfect time to bring out the old Ken Schrader line after blowing an engine.

reporter: Kenny, what happened?

KS: Dunno, but we broke one of the really important parts. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/18 5:27 p.m.

Had i seen this earlier, I'd have tried to help. Im 5 hours or so away though....

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/5/18 5:58 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

That's okay. If it was a clutch, maybe with a lift we could have fixed it (would still have to source an ACT unit) but once it was determined to be a busted transmission, we knew it was game over.

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/5/18 6:08 p.m.
glueguy said:

7 neutrals made me LOL

Seems to be a perfect time to bring out the old Ken Schrader line after blowing an engine.

reporter: Kenny, what happened?

KS: Dunno, but we broke one of the really important parts. 

I got the 7 neutrals from this meme I found that I think is absolutely hysterical. I found and posted said photo on Facebook two days before I myself had 7 neutrals. Strangely prophetic.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/5/18 7:58 p.m.

Glad you made it home alright, and sorry about the transmission.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x4G8ROg98Q4sh6hiINpdWPAwqkQ7zsO1jDqFnCyv1KuWXbfojDj90LWxMrxnR4MY