novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
6/29/15 1:29 p.m.

and all the rust and crappy looking paint is just patina...

got a plaque for 2nd place rat rod for my 86 Camaro at the local car show yesterday.. guess it's time to start dressing like an extra in West Side Story and listening to Social Distortion and Reverend Horton Heat. i don't know if i can do that, is Volbeat close enough?

i was beat out for first place by my girlfriend in her 64 Chevy C10 stepside..

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/29/15 1:34 p.m.

The big question is: Were you actually entered in the Rat Rod category?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/29/15 1:39 p.m.

Congrats!

Opti
Opti Reader
6/29/15 1:46 p.m.

I saw one that was flat black a week or two ago. I usually hate flat and matte black on less expensive cars because it looks to me like unfinished paint work, but his was a very dark black not that faded grey they all turn into, on some nice 17s and it looked really nice.

Swapped ls of some kind. Sounded good to.

Info on yours?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/29/15 1:50 p.m.

Ditch the Camaro keep the girlfriend.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
6/29/15 2:25 p.m.

Neither of those are ratrods though haha just old

Raze
Raze UltraDork
6/29/15 4:56 p.m.

Looks like an episode of Roadkill

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/29/15 5:13 p.m.

Social distortion is awesome, you should indeed listen to them. Volbeat has acceptable songs. Your car needs paint, her truck needs nothing

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/29/15 5:46 p.m.

The Rev is awesome. You should listen to them.

BTW, 4" cuffs, minimum.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
6/29/15 7:03 p.m.
patgizz wrote: Social distortion is awesome, you should indeed listen to them.

Can confirm. Also Mike Ness' solo stuff.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/29/15 7:57 p.m.

Also agree that the Rev is great. Instead of the rockabilly rat-rod crew, you can also go redneck rat rod or mountain man rat-rod. The old truck is already well on the way for the latter.

SeanC
SeanC New Reader
6/29/15 8:10 p.m.

Volbeat is...volbeat. I saw them open for Motorhead and Megadeth. They sound too pop-metal for me somehow, but I find most newer music doesn't agree with me anymore. The old camaro brings back memories though.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/29/15 8:12 p.m.

Sounds about right, one does not intentionally build a real rat rod.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
6/30/15 3:11 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Ditch the Camaro keep the girlfriend.

the girlfriend likes my Camaro- we took it on a 300 mile round trip on saturday instead of her boring 2010 Impala.. it was her idea, and she said she slept really well on the drive back home because of the exhaust pipe sticking out in front of the right rear wheel... yeah, she's a keeper, me thinks..

that being said, if i can find me a 1930 Model A 5 window body and chassis, i might just scrap out the Camaro and put all the good stuff into that...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/15 7:32 a.m.

I can find one. But you won't like the prices.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
6/30/15 7:54 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Also agree that the Rev is great. Instead of the rockabilly rat-rod crew, you can also go redneck rat rod or mountain man rat-rod. The old truck is already well on the way for the latter.

And Johnny Cash's music works great for any of those three options, too.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
6/30/15 8:00 a.m.

You got a bitchin camaro! Have you run-over your neighbor recently?

That heap is a perfect candidate to learn vinyl wrap technique on, or plasti dip. OTOH, leave it ugly and stuff it full of used NASCAR bits.

BTW, when I see ratty F bodies, Joe dirt comes to mind, not Rockabilly's and Ratrods.

What is inside my head when I see a trashed F body

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
6/30/15 10:42 a.m.

I parked next to a 1st Gen Neon that looked as bad as that. And I said to myself: "how great it must be to own a car that you could leave anywhere, windows down and it's guaranteed to be there when you get back (if itvwasnt condemned by the Board Of Health or the CDC).

It'd be cool if the drivetrain, steering, suspension was top-notch while the body was so bad it hurt to look at.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
6/30/15 11:33 a.m.

I'd call both of them more of a "diamond in the rough" myself.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/30/15 11:35 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I parked next to a 1st Gen Neon that looked as bad as that. And I said to myself: "how great it must be to own a car that you could leave anywhere, windows down and it's guaranteed to be there when you get back (if itvwasnt condemned by the Board Of Health or the CDC). It'd be cool if the drivetrain, steering, suspension was top-notch while the body was so bad it hurt to look at.

It's just as great as you could possibly imagine.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
6/30/15 12:23 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: I parked next to a 1st Gen Neon that looked as bad as that. And I said to myself: "how great it must be to own a car that you could leave anywhere, windows down and it's guaranteed to be there when you get back (if itvwasnt condemned by the Board Of Health or the CDC). It'd be cool if the drivetrain, steering, suspension was top-notch while the body was so bad it hurt to look at.
It's just as great as you could possibly imagine.

yes.. it's awesome... before i won an award for having a crappy looking car, i would just tell people that shiny cars are too stressful to own: you gotta be careful where you park them, you gotta wash them, you gotta be careful when working on them.. if it looks like E36 M3, you don't care about any of those things... some people got it, some people thought i was crazy..

now that i won an award for having a crappy looking car, i can just say that it would be sacrilegious to change the character of an award winning car by making it nice.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
6/30/15 3:08 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I parked next to a 1st Gen Neon that looked as bad as that. And I said to myself: "how great it must be to own a car that you could leave anywhere, windows down and it's guaranteed to be there when you get back

body doesn't have to be crap to be easily overlooked... just common

have you ever met Grunt??? Grunt is my 1989 Corolla All-Trac sedan

Totally invisible to both cop and criminal....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cvopxtZr61Brd4b6YGqDvLEE0tTQkpCJoEDc2TLVjZ1muDSrKXgxbOeCu2RP8fxE