FlightService HalfDork
July 12, 2011 9:26 p.m.
FlightService HalfDork
July 12, 2011 9:26 p.m.

BMW 535xi wagon

FlightService HalfDork
July 12, 2011 9:27 p.m.

FlightService HalfDork
July 12, 2011 9:27 p.m.

The best part is...

Maroon92 SuperDork
July 12, 2011 9:27 p.m.

One of my co-workers sold his 996 carrera to CarMax for 8 grand. It had coolant oil intermixing issues, and well over 100,000 miles.

I lol'd

FlightService HalfDork
July 12, 2011 9:29 p.m.

in a good or a bad way?

pigeon Dork
July 12, 2011 9:49 p.m.

Holy overpriced at $46k "no haggle" - quick look at the BMWUSA CPO website turns up two better CPO cars easily: loaded for $39k asking price

sexy green over tan for $43.9k

Maroon92 SuperDork
July 12, 2011 10:00 p.m.
FlightService wrote: in a good or a bad way?

I lol'd that he took them for 8 grand on it. Coolant Oil mix on an MY96 engine spells EXPENSIVE ENGINE REPLACEMENT!! The car was effectively worthless when he sold it to them.

As for your buy, that car is SWEET! AWD, inline 6, wagon, stick? Perfect combo!

Vigo Dork
July 12, 2011 11:16 p.m.

I have to post this.. this rarely happens but when i saw the picture of the shifter i literally burst out with "Holy crap!".

Usually my fiancee will walk over to see what that means (its rare enough) if i do that. hahah.

That is a damn unicorn of a car..

FlightService HalfDork
July 12, 2011 11:37 p.m.

Not my purchase that car is worth all my cars times 2! hell about 1/3 of my house.

yeah Carmax has gotten real, and mean, REAL greedy over the last 4 years.

Right before I left I watched them buy a Vic for $1500 and sell it for $8500. Involved costs? oil change, vacuum and wash.

They will sell you a car and stand behind it, but you are gonna pay.

July 13, 2011 10:15 a.m.

Along the same lines of the BMW:

Audi A8 w/6 speed manual transmission

Not mine, yada, yada, yada.

Strike_Zero HalfDork
July 13, 2011 10:42 a.m.

^

I likes that . . .

njansenv HalfDork
July 13, 2011 11:16 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I lol'd that he took them for 8 grand on it. Coolant Oil mix on an MY96 engine spells LS1 SWAP!! The car was effectively worthless when he sold it to them.

Fixed. ;)

pinchvalve SuperDork
July 13, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Great car, wish I was shopping in the $40K range!

1988RedT2 Dork
July 13, 2011 12:37 p.m.

I'm thinking:

A) That's a lot to pay for a used car.
B) Somebody had buyers' remorse.

Strizzo SuperDork
July 13, 2011 12:55 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I'm thinking: A) That's a lot to pay for a used car. B) Somebody had buyers' remorse.

wife said: why are there three pedals?, i only have two feet!

July 13, 2011 1:31 p.m.

Buddy of mine has basically the same car. I drove it while working checkpoints for a time-speed-distance rally -- very nice automobile...

dculberson HalfDork
July 13, 2011 2:08 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Along the same lines of the BMW: Audi A8 w/6 speed manual transmission Not mine, yada, yada, yada.

That's an awesome car. Holy crap.

DILYSI Dave SuperDork
July 13, 2011 2:14 p.m.

July 13, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Maybe I am getting old, but big assed cars with a rubbery manual gearshift and a temperamental clutch just don't do it for me. I'll take an automatic.

92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
July 13, 2011 2:18 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Along the same lines of the BMW: Audi A8 w/6 speed manual transmission Not mine, yada, yada, yada.

That's an awesome car. Holy crap.

This.... i want that so badly.

July 13, 2011 3:06 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
dculberson wrote:
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Along the same lines of the BMW: Audi A8 w/6 speed manual transmission Not mine, yada, yada, yada.

That's an awesome car. Holy crap.

This.... i want that so badly.

If it wasn't for the gas mileage I would flip my 9-5 for that car.

FlightService HalfDork
July 14, 2011 4:51 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
dculberson wrote:
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Along the same lines of the BMW: Audi A8 w/6 speed manual transmission Not mine, yada, yada, yada.

That's an awesome car. Holy crap.

This.... i want that so badly.

If it wasn't for the gas mileage I would flip my 9-5 for that car.

Why do you insist on rolling your 9-5 before you buy a new car. I am sure the Saab deserves a nicer home than that...

BoxheadTim SuperDork
July 14, 2011 5:11 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: Maybe I am getting old, but big assed cars with a rubbery manual gearshift and a temperamental clutch just don't do it for me. I'll take an automatic.

Having owned a 1st gen A8 in the UK, I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement. It doesn't have what I'd call a very durable slushbox.

plance1 Dork
July 14, 2011 8:14 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: One of my co-workers sold his 996 carrera to CarMax for 8 grand. It had coolant oil intermixing issues, and well over 100,000 miles. I lol'd

Maybe I'd act differently if I was trading a car in to a dealer, but when I sell a car to an individual I tell them everything, and I mean everything that's wrong with the car. Made some decent friends that way.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: A Dual-Engine Honda CRX and 10 Other Cool Cars Hit the Dyno

3 hours ago in Articles

Back in 1997 we put 11 cool cars on the dyno in search of horsepower and truth.

You Need This: Our Mustang GT CAM-C Project Car

5 hours ago in News

Soon for sale: Our Mustang GT autocross project.

Deal of the Month: Christmas in July!

6 hours ago in News

Get a year of our magazine for just $10.

Your Projects: Smith College's $2017 Challenge Miata

6 hours ago in News

Smith College is entering the Grassroots Motorsports $2017 Challenge

Big News From Mazda's Prototype Racing Effort

14 hours ago in News

This just in: Mazda's prototype racing effort is changing hands.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, July 19: Track Prep Your Daily Plus a Look at the Only Stick Shift GT3 RS

1 day ago in News

Tune in as we discuss pre-event inspection and prep. Also, a special appearance by a very cool Porsche.

Project Ridgeline Tows Home Another Project

1 day ago in Project Cars

We may or may not have gotten sidetracked on our Smoky Mountain Tour.

You Need This: Supercharged Toyota MR2

2 days ago in News

Rebuilt engine? Check. Extra power? Check. Early MR2 cool factor? Double check.

2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country T6 AWD

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're keeping the all-wheel-drive wagon theme rolling. We reviewed the Subaru Impreza last week and the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen before ...

Taking on the World Rally Championship With an E30

2 days ago in Articles

Bill Caswell invades the World Rally Championship with a 20-year-old BMW.

Your Projects: UR Quattro Resurrection

3 days ago in News

Team Illuminata is breathing life back into this old Quattro.

Project Turbo Miata: A Fresh Engine for Our Endurance Racer

3 days ago in Project Cars

Our turbocharged Mazda Miata racer gets a new heart.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
4zXJV2J8EXvR7hggqvrgRICgArxnGwym