1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/16/18 12:20 p.m.

Story by Tim Suddard • Photos Courtesy Dodge, Track Map Courtesy Club Motorsports

Nobody needs a nearly 800-horsepower muscle car to commute to work in the morning. Still, Dodge thinks you just might want one. In fact, Dodge has a whole line of new muscle cars ranging from the nearly practical to the totally ridiculous.

Read the rest of the story

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/16/18 12:21 p.m.

404 error on the linky.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
8/16/18 12:49 p.m.

Link broken.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/16/18 1:08 p.m.

Link works for me. 

I'm still blown away that square 305's is a thing. On a muscle car. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/16/18 1:13 p.m.

Apparently this is a special article just for mazduce.  I get a 404 error as well.

mazdeuce - Seth
8/16/18 1:16 p.m.

The internet gods want me to drive these cars on track, obviously. Call me Tim, I'm available. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/16/18 1:27 p.m.

Link works now, but there seems to be some model name details missing from this section:

While another R/T model named the 1320 is aimed at grassroots drag racers, the model that really interests us is the R/T Scat Pack.

Still normally aspirated, this Tremec six-speed manual (eight-speed automatic optional) model is priced under $40,000 and geared squarely for the track-day market.

With 485 horsepower on tap, this is a fast muscle car. While a bit pricey at $60,000, the optional widebody package includes seriously tough-looking flares, larger 305/35ZR20 tires mounted on 11" wide wheels, and six-piston 15.4" front and 13.8" Brembo disc brakes.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
8/16/18 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I think what you're seeing is that Tim skipped writing about the 1320–it's not the one we're interested in.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/18 1:39 p.m.

That intro section needs some serious cleanup.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/16/18 1:54 p.m.

Now if they could just figure out how to include all wheel drive in an R/T six speed car....

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/18 1:55 p.m.

And on their website it says 250ft of elevation change, not 700.

http://clubmotorsports.com/course

"On hundreds of rolling wooded acres with breathtaking views, we’ve built a heart-pounding ribbon through the woods: 15 turns over 2.5 miles with an elevation change of 250 feet. The road course is over 40 feet wide with a mix of long straightaways and left and right turns both uphill and downhill. It is designed to provide a thrilling driving experience, yet built with safety as the top priority."

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
8/16/18 2:06 p.m.

Sorry about that, z31. I fixed the elevation number. Seems like the PR rep told Tim the accumulated elevation change (up, then down, then up, etc.) instead of the total elevation change. Sorry it was unclear. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/16/18 3:04 p.m.

Other OEs: "We need more hybrid and EVs, and maybe a crossover or two."

Dodge: "We need more Challenger variants. And what else can we jam the Hellcat motor in?"

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
8/16/18 3:05 p.m.

This is just making the want for a new Challenger worse... Maybe before the end of the summer I should see if I can get a test drive in one somewhere that isn't the entry level or a hellcat...

mazdeuce - Seth
8/16/18 3:23 p.m.

At 4400lbs the CTS-V Wagon was an absolute blast on track and that was with "only" 556hp and 275 width tires. I read the article again and they still sound fun.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/18 3:51 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Now if they could just figure out how to include all wheel drive in an R/T six speed car....

I'd probably make a beeline for the nearest Dodge dealer if they did figure that out.

I've driven a few R/Ts and V6s as rental cars. They're now the first car I check for when arriving at the rental lineup .

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
8/16/18 3:52 p.m.

I hadn't paid these much attention, for the most part all I see are SXTs, but what a coincidence that y'all posted this today.  I got passed by a unique Challenger this morning, it got my attention, and I even went to Dodge's website to look it up.

It was a F8 Green, 392, T/A, looked just like this one:

Man do I love that color!

I don't know what's wrong with me, I got a new '18 Hemi Ram Tradesman 4x4 Crew Cab work truck back in March, to replace my trusty '14 Silverado W/T.  I fully expected to hate the Ram, but other than the stupid shifter knob, it's bested the Silverado in just about every way.

Now I'm looking at Challengers?!?!?!?

I need help!!!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/18 5:04 p.m.

I LOVE how the Challengers look. 

But can't get over how most of them are severely under-tired for their HP and weight. 

At $60k a GT350 or something other than a Challenger. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
8/16/18 5:13 p.m.
Tim Suddard said:
Dodge claims the SXT is America's lowest-price muscle car at just $27,295. 

Well, yeah...When you apparently have America's ONLY 'muscle car', you can tack "est" onto the end of pretty much any adjective to describe it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
8/16/18 5:31 p.m.
Tim Suddard said:

Nobody needs a nearly 800-horsepower muscle car to commute to work in the morning.

Yes I do.

Its how I show my manhood and love of the environment. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/16/18 6:44 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Loving the environment could mean you want to see as much as you can in the time you have, so these apply. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/18 6:49 p.m.

Nice Mercedes!

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
8/16/18 10:03 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to Duke :

I think what you're seeing is that Tim skipped writing about the 1320–it's not the one we're interested in.

Yeah, but is the R/T scat pack normally aspirated and priced under 40k, or 485hp and pricey at 60k? 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/16/18 10:12 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:
Tim Suddard said:

Nobody needs a nearly 800-horsepower muscle car to commute to work in the morning.

Yes I do.

Its how I show my manhood and love of the environment. 

Smoke a tire for me or two goodsir, and when you want an SRT to replace that furd... 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
8/16/18 11:13 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo :

I think they might be saying adding the wide body to the 'scat pack' is a $20k option...Maybe. I'm also not clear on where the 'track pack' they drove slots in the lineup, as I don't see it in their list of trims/options.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oRBrVeNycvitxMVqaMDJpArOyEbHZEDq4P1xxa1oivPziO4NbXJyjoWyeC4kFkSS