1 2 3 4
former520
former520 Reader
11/17/14 9:23 p.m.

That Mustang may just be my new dream machine. Wow.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/17/14 9:24 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I had to try to convince a co-worker that drifting is not the fastest way around the corner. He remains incorrect.
Go to a dirt track and tell them that. Don't care for the videos either.

Fine...

On pavement.

That right there is why 90%...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/17/14 9:28 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I had to try to convince a co-worker that drifting is not the fastest way around the corner. He remains incorrect.
Fine... On pavement. That right there is why 90%...

Then explain why rally drivers still drift around hair-pin tarmac corners?

Love the video.

I was really expecting him to reach out and get handed a donut...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/14 10:13 p.m.

I liked it. And the car, especially the noise.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
11/17/14 11:22 p.m.

Just watched it. Pretty great.

Canute
Canute Reader
11/18/14 2:51 a.m.

I thought it was pretty cool. I read an article with a bunch of stories about that car which is pretty awesome.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/18/14 3:03 a.m.

My favorite so far and certainly the best featured car so far.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/18/14 5:54 a.m.

So, out of curiosity...what does it cost to rent LA for the day?

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
11/18/14 7:08 a.m.

Not impressed, less tire smoke and more action.

They tried to make it more exciting with the urban environment but it did not work.

The small tight course was much more impressive.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/14 8:24 a.m.

I had thought that the series had become a bit stale, mainly due to the universal studio one, and in part in thinking that, yeah I can do 90% of that in a 450hp AWD car, BUT it turns out that I was wrong. The series and Block just needed 250 more HP, those reverse entry drifts are epic levels of car control insanity. I tip my hat to Mr. Block for proving me quite wrong.

wae
wae HalfDork
11/18/14 8:52 a.m.

At one point, there is a shot from a fender/quarter panel mounted camera that shows the Pirelli logo pretty prominently. For some reason this makes me think of the guy who does the Pirelli tire facts segment on the F1 broadcasts on NBC and I start to chuckle a little bit imagining him doing a "tire facts" segment before the action starts...

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/18/14 9:08 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote:

Yeah, what he said

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/18/14 9:14 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
Ian F wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote:
Yeah, what he said

Because that's how the cars are configured to be driven and that's how the driver's drive. If you look at videos of WRC cars on tarmac rally's you'll see they typically take the more common paved line more often than not.

Remember they are still driving on roads where they don't get a lot of room to straighten the roads out and they don't have to take care of their tires over the length of an entire race and rarely have people trying to pass them or pass other competitors.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/18/14 9:24 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: Not impressed, less tire smoke and more action. They tried to make it more exciting with the urban environment but it did not work. The small tight course was much more impressive.

I'd agree. also WAY too spliced together. it wasnt as seemless as I'd like...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/14 9:34 a.m.
CobraSpdRH wrote: That was a fun watch. From the looks of the tire tracks, it seems like there were only about 3-5 "takes". I liked the part with the g-body on hydros.

B body, that's a caprice

great, now i want to find some way to make my wrx all wheel drive again.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/18/14 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

Because rally cars lack maximum grip. If they could go around said corner at top speed, they would. They drift through corners because of the rule book.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/18/14 10:14 a.m.

Totally missed the point

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/18/14 11:56 a.m.

It's hard to not think there are a few jaded individuals out there ie: the few that were "not impressed".

We all love cars. We all love to drive. We all love MORE (hp, noise, smoke, speed etc. at the right time, right place).

I love trail-riding/rock crawling. The extreme end of that is "Rock Racing" or "Rock Bouncing". Really not my cup o' tea but I'm certainly entertained by the sheer craziness and over-the-top nature of that sport.

And I'm impressed by the drivers, vehicles and technology that goes into it.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
11/18/14 12:22 p.m.

Awesome. Love the car and love the over the top nature of the whole endeavor. I'm tempted to buy a t-shirt or the stencil and start spray painting stuff.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/18/14 2:40 p.m.

there are probably sections of the Geneva Convention that I would violate to get my hands on that car. 6 speed sequential AWD widebody ~850hp 6.7L Mustang? yes please

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/18/14 2:52 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: Awesome. Ove the car and love the over the top nature of the whole endeavor. I'm tempted to buy a t-shirt or the stencil and start spray painting stuff.

One of my friends from the MINI world (now drives a Focus ST) is really into the "Hoonigan" thing. He actually has big "Hoonigan" decals on the side of his car. Not a kid either - late 30's.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/14 3:12 p.m.
patgizz wrote: great, now i want to find some way to make my wrx all wheel drive again.

hwa? fwd or rwd?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/18/14 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

Is the point "Rage against the Block?"

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/14 3:19 p.m.
bluej wrote:
patgizz wrote: great, now i want to find some way to make my wrx all wheel drive again.
hwa? fwd or rwd?

you miss this

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2015-hopeful-2002-wrx-in-the-best-color-ever/89727/page1/

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/14 3:31 p.m.

Hairy mother of mashed potatoes!

Missed it, indeed!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BmktH3ngrm2TV1NBJdPWmRAxEzEjSlubQmUGMOfcKG0sERwyAo9VYcx6SSMw8VBU