mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/11 10:03 a.m.

Today I am the proud owner of a 1987 Saab 900 Turbo in a proper black.

The good:

Car runs great and was recently gifted with new brakes, radiator, and interior.

The Bad:

Rot on the doors, transmission is shot.

I am in the middle of reaping all the usable parts off of my old 900S. This includes the enture suspension (87 is early suspension with front mounted hand brake and funky wheels), transmission (Which I will send out for new syncros and bearings) fog lights, stereo and speakers, and all the new parts I put into the car over the last 9 months.

Total Price: $800

Now I need to get it home

Turbo Saab

Luke
Luke SuperDork
7/27/11 10:12 a.m.

Nice! I reckon black is the best colour for these, and it'll look great with your Aero wheels.

Since you're taking it apart, is there any trick for beefing up the gearbox?

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/27/11 10:14 a.m.

I have to update mine too, as soon as I look in the backyard and remember what I bought last week.

mad_machine
7/27/11 12:49 p.m.

IN talking to the seller.. found out that I have a rare saab.. the air blows cold air

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/11 2:10 p.m.

A few minutes ago I had a strong desire to own a Saab, I searched CL and couldn't find a decent one under $1000. Now I find out that you bought a 900 turbo for $800 in Ohio .

Congrats though, looks like a great car.

mad_machine
7/27/11 2:32 p.m.

check www.saabnet.com.. the best saabs are there

darkbuddha
darkbuddha New Reader
7/28/11 12:11 p.m.

Those damn transmissions... weak link, and kinda pricey to fix. But gotta say I always liked my brother's '80s Saab 900s... he had an early 16v, a couple turbos, and a thoroughly ordinary NA model that seemed to like to burn oil but ran like a top no matter what he did to it.

Good luck with the project, and good luck with the transmission.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/11 12:40 p.m.

I really want an Edwardian grey SPG, one of these days.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/28/11 12:57 p.m.

Congratulations, you nut.

You might be able to sell the brakes/spindles from the '87 on saabrally.com -- if memory serves, they are the old style with vented rotors and can be used on 99s, or possibly someone with a pre-88 900 looking for a minor brake upgrade.

mad_machine
7/28/11 2:20 p.m.

good plan on the early suspension bits. Didn't think there would be a demand for them

Powar
Powar Dork
7/28/11 3:47 p.m.

Congrats on the buy! If the body is clean, that price is good. I have a pair of non-rusty black doors from my '88SPG that you could have if you can find a way to get them home that isn't a huge pain in either of our asses.

I recently fixed my A/C in the C900. Its been nice having it during these 110*+ heat index days.

mad_machine
7/28/11 4:31 p.m.

depends on where you are, Powar. Black doors would be better than the gray ones I am taking off of my 91

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
7/28/11 4:38 p.m.

Aside from black, I have a huge hard-on for Beryl Green and whatever this red is called.

mad_machine
7/28/11 4:41 p.m.

talladaga?

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
7/29/11 1:36 p.m.

I think talladega is much brighter, but i dont really know

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/11 2:34 p.m.

Mad and Powar, I will be driving from Columbus Ohio to Tobyhanna PA at the end of next week and I should have room in my car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ca6iGsXrAeeQ9dohP88ZygYyR92aTSvgoNBcSKXY65dWFaq9GHNPYniqtFkrH93L