1 2 3
dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/23/16 7:24 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo:

In what universe is a C6 bigger than a C5? They're a little taller but way shorter and a little narrower.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/23/16 8:52 p.m.

I'd imagine BMW E60 M5s will appreciate upwards some point soon... the engines in those things are rowdy, and with CAFE getting stricter I think it's only a matter of time before stuff like that is no longer available(new).

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/23/16 10:01 p.m.

I'd really like third gen Camaros to go nuts, since I still have the one I bought new in 82.

I'm not holding my breath.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/23/16 10:06 p.m.

And then there is me... thinking that half of those cars are more expensive than the house I'm trying to buy.

Maybe I can afford a trashed E30.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/23/16 10:21 p.m.
dculberson wrote: In reply to 93gsxturbo: In what universe is a C6 bigger than a C5? They're a little taller but way shorter and a little narrower.

Yes and no. C6s are shorter, but a C6Z is about three inches wider than a C5Z. Regular C6 is about half an inch narrower than a C5 or C5Z. And, yeah, 6 is about three inches shorter that the 5, 5 Drives like a smaller car though.Especially comparing Z to Z. It's also lighter.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
12/23/16 10:57 p.m.

I'm surprised the FD3S RX-7 didn't make that list.

I'm sure it'll do nothing good for the Supra. I don't think it aged that well as fanbois seem to think, but it's like criticizing Kristie Alley's looks. Eventually you just need to accept that they're old.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
12/24/16 12:00 a.m.

In a slight aside, has anyone else noticed that RT/TT Stealths have been going up in price over the past five years by a noticeable rate? It wasn't that long ago when you could pick a decent one up for $3500 USD, now they're around $6k USD for a nice early one.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/16 12:29 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: And then there is me... thinking that half of those cars are more expensive than the house I'm trying to buy.

I tried to convince my wife that it was a sound financial decision to take a second mortgage and buy a Ford GT a few years back. I would have been right. She doesn't seem to think that gives me any credibility towards future suggestions. Still, you'll make the greatest profit on the most expensive cars.

The fact that I passed over an aircooled 911 to get the E39 M5 about 8 (?) years ago does give her some ammo. Our Westfalia has probably doubled in value since I bought it, which doesn't quite even the score.

If I were buying a car as an investment, I'd get the cleanest Integra Type R I could find. Preferably white with the red Recaros. Still affordable, but it'll only get more valuable.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/16 1:39 a.m.
flatlander937 wrote: I'd imagine BMW E60 M5s will appreciate upwards some point soon... the engines in those things are rowdy, and with CAFE getting stricter I think it's only a matter of time before stuff like that is no longer available(new).

My favorite BMW ever, I'm afraid to own one though.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/16 5:45 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yeah, some M coupes have already gone up. I was at this sale: $53,900 for a mint, non-sunroof M coupe. Linky.

At $53,900 for 21k miles, prices look like they are going down compared to earlier this year.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/16 6:33 a.m.
codrus wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: And yes, the C5 is a much better-looking car than the C6. Popups FTW!
I like the popups, but the back end on the C5 coupe (which all the C5 Z06s were, IIRC) is... unfortunate.

Kidding? The back end is perfect. It's minimalist while also being phenomenally functional.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
12/24/16 6:44 a.m.

I don't think there is any earth shattering news there. All pretty obvious choices. Still interesting though.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/24/16 9:08 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
curtis73 wrote: And then there is me... thinking that half of those cars are more expensive than the house I'm trying to buy.
I tried to convince my wife that it was a sound financial decision to take a second mortgage and buy a Ford GT a few years back. I would have been right. She doesn't seem to think that gives me any credibility towards future suggestions. Still, you'll make the greatest profit on the most expensive cars. The fact that I passed over an aircooled 911 to get the E39 M5 about 8 (?) years ago does give her some ammo. Our Westfalia has probably doubled in value since I bought it, which doesn't quite even the score. If I were buying a car as an investment, I'd get the cleanest Integra Type R I could find. Preferably white with the red Recaros. Still affordable, but it'll only get more valuable.

I had an inside guy at Honda let it sneak out that they were developing the new NSX a few years ago. I was tempted to get a loan to buy an early NSX hoping I could turn a profit (and I always wanted an NSX).

I would have at least made my money back, but I'm not seeing a huge uptick in prices.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/16 9:43 a.m.
The0retical wrote: I'm surprised the FD3S RX-7 didn't make that list. I'm sure it'll do nothing good for the Supra. I don't think it aged that well as fanbois seem to think, but it's like criticizing Kristie Alley's looks. Eventually you just need to accept that they're old.

I never cared for that model Supra. I also cannot remember the last time I saw ANY supra moving under it's own power. I still see FD occasionally, and NSXs, but all the supras around here were sent to an early grave or are sitting in pieces in somebody's garage.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
12/24/16 10:06 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yep, in my book the C5 wins your photo contest. JG, we're getting a C5!

Dammit man! I'm still waiting on the C4 content from you guy's

MattW
MattW New Reader
12/24/16 11:15 a.m.
yupididit wrote:
flatlander937 wrote: I'd imagine BMW E60 M5s will appreciate upwards some point soon... the engines in those things are rowdy, and with CAFE getting stricter I think it's only a matter of time before stuff like that is no longer available(new).
My favorite BMW ever, I'm afraid to own one though.

Yeah, their propensity to self destruct might precede their reputation. At this point in the game most of these needs a bottom end rebuild.

They are at bottom $$$ right now though.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/16 2:46 p.m.

In reply to MattW:

$16k to $18k around here for clean smg cars with 80-100k miles

Groats
Groats New Reader
12/25/16 11:44 a.m.

I test drove a C5 corvette the other day that's for sale at $15k with 70,000 miles. Walked away from the test drive without the urgent need to buy it. Seemed like a deal especially here in Seattle where everything is overpriced. After years of driving crappy Japanese cars with no torques it felt wrong not being able to wind the engine out. Slow car fast and all that. I still get the feeling that I should pitch them a lowball offer and see if it happens.

Decent E36 M3's here go for at least $12k so it makes the whole proposition even more muddled. Especially if an E46 isn't all that much more.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/16 1:18 p.m.

If you're used to low-torque cars, displacement can require some adjustment on the part of the driver.

Based on what I'm seeing of new car drivetrains, cars with big instant hit sledgehammer torque delivery will stand out in the future.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/25/16 1:18 p.m.
In a slight aside, has anyone else noticed that RT/TT Stealths have been going up in price over the past five years by a noticeable rate? It wasn't that long ago when you could pick a decent one up for $3500 USD

Really nice RT/TT and VR-4s are up over 10k, sometimes way over 10k now.

I test drove a C5 corvette the other day that's for sale at $15k with 70,000 miles. Walked away from the test drive without the urgent need to buy it...Decent E36 M3's here go for at least $12k so it makes the whole proposition even more muddled.

Yeah.. just don't compare the actual raw performance of those two vehicles or that $3k savings will not seem like nearly enough of a discount.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
12/25/16 4:42 p.m.

I think the '82-'85 celica is on the rise. I paid $1,200 for mine. I now see them regularly going for $1,250! I'm gonna be rich someday.

WAKman
WAKman New Reader
12/25/16 6:05 p.m.

Shucks. Every time I get interested in a particular car, some expert picks it as a future collectible.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/27/16 1:46 p.m.
WAKman wrote: Shucks. Every time I get interested in a particular car, some expert picks it as a future collectible.

That's why you need to buy them all now.

loumash
loumash New Reader
12/28/16 10:43 a.m.

I think it's interesting that Hagerty lists the e46 M3 and they would not insure my e36 M3.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/28/16 11:21 a.m.

In reply to loumash:

What usage did you list?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZiewKmHmnidD7s6nlLBxxNIIbxIjWl6jP4TL32oj4QdNSvtEcyC8KAOKJOpHtd5B