1 2
N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
4/30/11 12:03 p.m.

Saint Louis dealers are selling hail damaged cars for cheap. New and used. For those of you looking for deals, it may be something to check out. I don't know if there will be any low enough to help in the challenge, but it may be worth checking out.

I'll look into it if anyone is interested.

Joshua
Joshua Reader
4/30/11 12:58 p.m.

I'd be interested if you could find out a bit more.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
4/30/11 2:31 p.m.

I'm surprised they're not marketing all the dents as an aerodynamic improvement. "Sure, the dents may not look that great, but similar dents make golf balls go further, so just think how much better your gas mileage will be! Why, you'll save enough in your first month to afford that new unobtanium driver you've had your eye on."

donalson
donalson SuperDork
4/30/11 2:49 p.m.

I want to recall reading somewhere online that someone did the golf ball dimples on a car for aero aid... don't recall what happend...

artyboy619
artyboy619 New Reader
4/30/11 2:59 p.m.

Myth busters did a dimpling thing i a taurus acouple years ago

donalson
donalson SuperDork
4/30/11 3:11 p.m.

lol ya I just googled it... that was it lol... sad that it all kind of runs together

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
4/30/11 3:43 p.m.
donalson wrote: I want to recall reading somewhere online that someone did the golf ball dimples on a car for aero aid... don't recall what happend...

I want to recall that every cheerleader in school wanted my body. Some things just can't be recalled though.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
4/30/11 3:53 p.m.
Joshua wrote: I'd be interested if you could find out a bit more.

Any specific type of car that would peak your interest? New? Used? Ill have to narrow it down before I go chasing leads.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
4/30/11 4:10 p.m.

That sounds like a great way to get into a newish rally car.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
4/30/11 8:08 p.m.

I would be interested in a brand new WRX STi all damaged. What......$5,000?

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
4/30/11 8:40 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Any specific type of car that would peak your interest? New? Used? Ill have to narrow it down before I go chasing leads.

-99-03 E350 7.3L diesel van (prefer not extended)
-Any Duramax van... I'm talking passenger or cargo vans, not box trucks.
-Any wasted Duramax vehicle... something that a tornado picked up and deposited in a tree? I need it for engine/tranny donor.

Budget is in the $5-6k range

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/1/11 11:11 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

OK, Curtis. Ill see what I can dig up, but they are probably demand a loch of your hair with payment. I don't know if you're up for that.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
5/1/11 8:15 p.m.

RX-7 or 8... just need the engine, the rest of the car can be toast. Think "Challenge-worthy" cost. :D

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/1/11 8:32 p.m.

Those are REALLY different engines. You building a Pushme-Pullyou?

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
5/1/11 8:42 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to curtis73: OK, Curtis. Ill see what I can dig up, but they are probably demand a loch of your hair with payment. I don't know if you're up for that.

I can spare some. Do you think they'd take chest hair?

Joshua
Joshua Reader
5/1/11 9:02 p.m.

Any Miata, Fiat 500, Ford Fiesta or new Focus. Thanks

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/3/11 8:21 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to curtis73: OK, Curtis. Ill see what I can dig up, but they are probably demand a loch of your hair with payment. I don't know if you're up for that.

I can spare some. Do you think they'd take chest hair?

Yuck.

That is all.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/3/11 8:23 p.m.

I'm compiling a list and I will be checking around this week. I'll check back later if anyone comes up with anything else.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/3/11 8:55 p.m.

Hyundai Elantra for work use, late model low miles. Similar compacts are ok also.

Excursion 7.3 turbo diesel, up to 03, really good price.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
5/3/11 9:14 p.m.

Something with 7 or more seats.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/4/11 1:35 a.m.

Whats the cheapest thing you've seen? That's what I can afford. Seriously.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
5/4/11 7:16 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Those are REALLY different engines. You building a Pushme-Pullyou?

I'm just being flexible. :D I don't need both, just one or the other!

mw
mw HalfDork
5/4/11 9:24 p.m.

Ford flex? Or diesel excursion?

miatame
miatame Reader
5/5/11 8:45 a.m.
Schmidlap wrote: I'm surprised they're not marketing all the dents as an aerodynamic improvement. "Sure, the dents may not look that great, but similar dents make golf balls go further, so just think how much better your gas mileage will be! Why, you'll save enough in your first month to afford that new unobtanium driver you've had your eye on."

Dude seriously don't laugh! Myth-busters did an episode on the golf ball effect on car's gas mileage. They caked a couple hundred pounds of clay on a Taurus and dimpled it like crazy and it actually got significantly better mileage!! They were laughing because they were so shocked.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_let8wmnILM1qb815co1_500.jpg

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/5/11 8:48 a.m.

Why do I have a sudden urge to buy a ratty excursion diesel and ZAV the hell out of it?

1 2
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
2l2CEsxdpaMPNPpzd9Vl3zWfFBendTHc1o2sMLd1cFwxO47SCWhfhMdGxHtkoM0y