ThingWithWheels
ThingWithWheels New Reader
11/24/15 12:00 p.m.

I was cruising Craigslist looking for a newer cheaper car and came across this. Impressive. I wonder what the service records look like. The ad has been up for a while and used to say "high miles", I bet this made for a lot of short phone calls. "How many miles?" .....click

2010 yaris 490k. Meticulously maintained needs nothing get in and go, 5 speed, excellent reliable car that's great on gas. Open to trades of all kinds.

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/5295028980.html

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
11/24/15 12:04 p.m.

If he has decent records and would come down a bit on price, I would be game. That is if I needed an econobox.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/15 12:05 p.m.

raises an interesting question. would you prefer a car that's been maintained well enough to last 490k, or something that's ~100k but without much attention given?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
11/24/15 12:16 p.m.
bluej wrote: raises an interesting question. would you prefer a car that's been maintained well enough to last 490k, or something that's ~100k but without much attention given?

100k shouldn't require any attention. Or do you mean they didn't change the oil?

If you said 150 or 200k, I might opt for the high mileage car.

ThingWithWheels
ThingWithWheels New Reader
11/24/15 1:18 p.m.

One thing I always liked about a high mileage car, in the north east at least, was the important bolts never got too rusty. If it is actually serviced routinely and problems aren't left until they become disasters.

I'm most curious why he is selling it now instead of a week later when he would have put another 10k miles on it and gone over 500k.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/15 1:19 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

I was just thinking about where that point might be for a minimally maintained and also a very poorly maintained vs. a well maintained vehicle. which you answered

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
11/24/15 1:55 p.m.

i would pay half that price with that many miles, or pay that price with half the miles

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/24/15 1:58 p.m.

Six year old w/ 490k is 81k per year.
I drive a lot but that is a whole lot.
About 225 miles per day average, every day of the year!

About 311 miles per day if you just factor Mon-Fri.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/24/15 2:00 p.m.

Why would you even sell a car with that many miles on it? At that sort of miles-per-year rate you're going to kill the value of anything you drive so just keep going until something expensive breaks and just scrap it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
11/24/15 2:36 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Why would you even sell a car with that many miles on it? At that sort of miles-per-year rate you're going to kill the value of anything you drive so just keep going until something expensive breaks and just scrap it.

Or why wouldn't you keep it until at least 500?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
11/24/15 4:00 p.m.

Probably because the value drops so much when you go over 500k miles.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/24/15 4:16 p.m.

Shoot. If it runs well and all, no reason not to. I'd pay maybe $1500 though.

There's not a ton to GO wrong. LCA bushings, trailing arm bushings, struts/shocks, and good to go. Would be a great B spec candidate since it would get gone through anyway.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
11/24/15 7:30 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Six year old w/ 490k is 81k per year. I drive a lot but that is a whole lot. About 225 miles per day average, every day of the year! About 311 miles per day if you just factor Mon-Fri.

That's what I was going to say. Where is this person driving to and from? Damn.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aZeRTEt4tJnJBInCwpc0nd7TJ5Fz8wpGJcRXFeq6XsS7nUd0jAQZal83yzl3XlRe