AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
8/7/14 1:06 p.m.

Anybody out there is GRM-Land have any experience with this tire? I am considering them for my Grassroots Ferrari 308. That is to say, lots of hard cornering, but not a lot of miles.

I can't help but notice these tires are insanely inexpensive.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/7/14 1:24 p.m.

I had them on my 2003 e39 M5 and hated them. They were super squirmy under acceleration, cornering, etc.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
8/7/14 1:39 p.m.

They are a good summer tire for daily driving. The rubber compounds feel on the hard side so they should last for quite a while for a summer tire. For an autocross, they are way too hard to be competitive with; however it's a good tire to suggest to beginners if they happen to have all-season tires that are worn out and they ask for advice.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
8/7/14 1:53 p.m.

This car is used for bombing around on country roads late at night, maybe covering 3k miles a year. I could end up running an AutoX now and then, and maybe the car gets a few lunchtime laps in at Summit Point. That is to say, the tires will probably age out before they wear out. I'm not trying to win anything.

The most important factor is that they have to make me feel some sense of confidence. These cars are fun to drive fast, but they are way too expensive to fix when you crash them. I just want something that I can trust not to break loose suddenly and put me in a creek.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/7/14 2:29 p.m.

Conti DW - plenty of grip, plenty of life, plenty of warning, and plenty of moderately priced.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/7/14 4:18 p.m.

I used the V12s on my Audi a few years back. They were an excellent value -- around $110 each for 235/40R18s, which was about half what Michelin PS3s would have been. That said, you get what you pay for.

old_
old_ Reader
8/7/14 4:23 p.m.

FYI- $100 off discount tire through eBay right now. http://slickdeals.net/f/7115628-discounttiredirect-insane-deal-on-car-tires-100-ebay-coupon-on-most-brands-plus-stackable-rebate-valid-8-1-8-9-free-shippin?v=1

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/7/14 6:51 p.m.

My Continental DW tires had soft sidewall and got destroyed in one weekend at NJMP lightning. Ran 2 degrees camber up front and flexed onto sidewalls and then tread chunked to the cord.

Granted I was keeping up with cars I had no right to considering I was in my Malibu.

Just got a set of the Ventus for less than $60 each from tire rack. Will see how they do at vir at the end of the month.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
8/7/14 7:40 p.m.

i've had the V12's on my wife's daily driven Mazda 3 for 20,000 miles. i'd say they've got another 10,000 left before they're too thin for my taste. I've been pleased with them overall. If I was in your position, I would go more aggressive. Not sure why I'd say that exactly, given my general satisfaction.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
8/7/14 8:58 p.m.

Pretty good tire for the $$. Ran them on the RX8 before the R-S3 on it now. Will probably go back to them when I replace the R-S3s. Surprised me how well they handled what little snow we get here. Well, combined with ESC they were pretty good.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/8/14 12:47 p.m.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: My Continental DW tires had soft sidewall and got destroyed in one weekend at NJMP lightning. Ran 2 degrees camber up front and flexed onto sidewalls and then tread chunked to the cord.

Mine take autocross like a champ on my E46.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4qVFKtNEP2sTZulO5xR4XQITPPvZAUjOhAol3so1rK6Ht4et8dVkGYnD5IdDZTzP