Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/9/09 1:21 p.m.

Has anybody got one of these?

http://www.bethania-garage.com/ace.htm

I'm still trying to decide which bar I want. I need full seat travel and hard top compatibility. It looks a little narrow, but I hated dealing with the seatbelts in my old caged car.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/09 1:27 p.m.

It's too short to work as a real roll bar. In order to get the bar that far back, it has to be super-stumpy. I'd recommend a Sport to any GRM reader instead of the Ace.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
3/9/09 1:36 p.m.

I went with the Hard Top. I actually called Bethania for their recommendation for my needs. They recommended the sport or the hard top, and strongly suggested against the Ace.

The Sport is probably a better way to go. Although the tubing on the Hard Top meets the requirements for Solo-I, you'll be hard pressed to get the 2" minimum helmet clearance unless you're really short. So the sport will meet your needs just as well with a bit less weight, a bit less cost, and a bit more clearance on the street.

Keith
3/9/09 1:58 p.m.

The Hard Top is a Sport with slightly bigger tubing and a standard diagonal and harness bar. FYI.

Woody
3/9/09 1:58 p.m.

It's hard to judge the height from their angled photos.

When I ordered my cage from them, I mentioned that I really needed full seat travel. As I recall, they more or less custom built the cage based on the rear section of a Hard Core Hard Top.

I was planning on getting a HCHT, but then I stumbled upon the Ace, which I had never seen before.

I think that the Sport would put my melon in harms way on the street.

http://www.bethania-garage.com/images/hbswd.jpg

Woody
3/9/09 2:09 p.m.
Keith wrote: The Hard Top is a Sport with slightly bigger tubing and a standard diagonal and harness bar. FYI.

Damn. Now I can't remember. Maybe my cage was based on a Sport. My receipt doesn't really give me any indication. I guess it's time for a phone call.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/9/09 3:35 p.m.

I've got two with the soft top version of their bar in the car. I'm 5'10" on a good day and fit under the bar with the stock seat slightly leaned back. This is with a helmet on.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
3/9/09 3:55 p.m.

My '00 NB (below) has the HD Sport (with no diagonal).

It limits the seat travel a bit, but not enough to be a real problem for me. I'm 6'1" and about 200 lbs (and in my 50s).

The glass rear window ~just~ clears the bar as it folds down. SInce my car is a daily driver I did not opt for the diagonal....I need the space. I've only run a few tracks days at Lime Rock and Pocono and the bar does not quite make the 2" clearance of my helmet unless I swap the seat cushion, but that's not a big deal.......that's what the race car is for.

Keith
3/9/09 4:17 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Keith wrote: The Hard Top is a Sport with slightly bigger tubing and a standard diagonal and harness bar. FYI.
Damn. Now I can't remember. Maybe my cage was based on a Sport. My receipt doesn't really give me any indication. I guess it's time for a phone call.

If the rear section was based on a Sport or a Hard Top, makes no difference. All that distinction says is how big the tubes are. I believe most of their cages use the Sport geometry in the rear actually. I'm pretty sure that's the case for my own cage, based on where the hardtop latches sit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IYIa1ccfqfjXovseZJCFNVIFQAAJgXty9i4Fo2lEA4AKuEl5NniRM7m2e5EWW7yw