Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/08 2:12 p.m.

My last Miata had a Hard Dog cage with a single diagonal.

Photobucket

For the next car, I'm just planning to go with a roll bar instead of a cage, since it will still see a little street use. I hate the look of the Double Diagonal, but rear visibility in my old car was near zero. Also, I'd like a little more rear travel for the passenger seat.

Can someone post a photo of an HDDD from a similar angle and let me know if you still have a useful view out of the rear view mirror?

Thanks.

TJ
TJ Reader
12/22/08 3:07 p.m.

This pic is from Raven Wing Performance.....can't see much of the rear view mirror in this shot...it is the hard dog M2 Hard Core in the pic.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/22/08 3:09 p.m.

I have a Hard dog Hardtop with the DD. When the top is down, my rearwards visibility is just fine.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/08 3:15 p.m.

Get the rear mirror from a 1996+ Miata and you'll gain the ability to adjust it up and down. Helps.

Woody
12/22/08 3:42 p.m.
Keith wrote: Get the rear mirror from a 1996+ Miata and you'll gain the ability to adjust it up and down. Helps.

Both old and new cars are 96's.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/22/08 6:08 p.m.

From Betty

Sorry about the bike, that picture is the closest I have to the angle you wanted.

From Betty

That one is give you an idea of the view to the rear.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/22/08 6:51 p.m.

I had the HDDD in my '91 and the rear visibility (for me...5'8") was nil. My view was perfectly obstructed by the meeting point of the top bar and diaganol bars.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
12/22/08 6:56 p.m.

I ditched my stock mirror for one from a sebring with some built in lights and mounted it slightly lower than the stock mirror for some better visibility (mounted with a block of wood!). Then a week later a factory one popped up on eBay.

Woody
12/22/08 8:05 p.m.

Thanks to everybody for their input.

I think that if the general consensus is that rearward visibility is no better with the DD, then I'll probably just go with the single. I know that when I ordered my cage, they were really helpful and seemed like they could build one to your preference.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/08 9:57 p.m.

Rear visibility is different. The view is framed by the two diagonals instead of cut in half. The DDs are far more popular. Play with the vertical height of the mirror, you should be able to come up with a setup that lets you see pretty well out the back.

davidjs
davidjs New Reader
12/23/08 7:29 a.m.

Woody - I think you're in Northern VA? I have a scratched but good condition Hardcore DD that I forgot to get rid of when I sold my miata - PM or email me...

On Topic I had it in a '97, and was able to adjust my mirrors to get a good view of traffic, I just had to shift a little bit to get long-distance rear viewing, or up a hill...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
12/23/08 12:19 p.m.

anyone have a miata roll bar they want to get rid of?

getfast
getfast New Reader
12/23/08 12:46 p.m.
Woody wrote: Can someone post a photo of an HDDD from a similar angle and let me know if you still have a useful view out of the rear view mirror?

Been ~5 years since I sold the car, but I don't remember having any problems seeing out the rearview mirror.

That was a '91 with stock seats, and I'm 6 feet tall.

Hope it helps,

Jon

Woody
12/23/08 9:23 p.m.

There's the photo I've been looking for! Thanks Jon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WPAy2959PD7hRP1C5ods1B9Bt1VI7sney8rzEhYMNWfBEflZ10U0AzK4no3NAFP9