1 2
decafe
decafe New Reader
3/8/13 1:39 p.m.

My friend and I were discussing the possiblity of a sub 2013 electric car . I have not seen a challenger that was all electric and was wondering if it was already done not that it would stop us from trying . thanks for any help

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/8/13 1:51 p.m.

Nope, I think Nashco's Fiero was the first with any EV tech at all actually.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/8/13 2:24 p.m.

Yep, no all-electirc cars so far. Of course, we'd love to see one.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
3/8/13 4:53 p.m.

Are we talking a trophy for an EV challenge car ?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/13 5:08 p.m.

Jeezus Karl, do you have a postal Jeep back there, too?

Karl La Follette
3/8/13 5:39 p.m.

We are redoing the brakes $162 in parts the front brakes are 2.5 inch backs are 2 inch.fronts . Postal jeep is sorta an al ba tross . Hoping brake job make Flip quicker .

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
3/8/13 5:44 p.m.

You link to some of the weirdest stuff man.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
3/8/13 6:39 p.m.

Kinda hard to make that happen at $20xx cap. I understand the motor and batteries are expensive.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
3/8/13 6:58 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: Kinda hard to make that happen at $20xx cap. I understand the motor and batteries are expensive.

Motors can be done for free if you are willing to part down a forklift. Less than $300 I you just want to just buy a used forklift motor.

The controller is really your price and performance bottleneck. Most of the cheap or build it yourself controllers are only good for 50-75hp and still not "challenge cheap". Nashco found a good cheap surplus AC setup so that may be an option. You could do a "contactor controller" but those are not usually pushed past about 100hp. Not usually .

Batteries could be done with used AGM, RC Lipo, or possibly even volt take outs?

Building one under budget wouldn't be hard. Building a fast one under budget would be tough.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/13 8:07 p.m.

I have a forklift motor I'll donate to anyone who will build a Challenge EV. Free, you just have to come get it because it weighs like a small block.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
3/8/13 8:18 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: Are we talking a trophy for an EV challenge car ?

Oh Gawd...

An actual Sebring Vanguard Citicar!

I worked at a dealership that sold them. Thanks for unrepressing the repressed memory!

decafe
decafe New Reader
3/9/13 7:57 a.m.

Batteries are the big cost but. we are trying to figure out some creative ideas to sourcing and linking in a series.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/13 9:35 a.m.

Guys please remember when you start linking multiple batteries in series you start dealing with lethal amounts of current. They say most people injured with DIY EV is done by a dropped wrench or tool and a mistake picking it up.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
3/9/13 10:42 a.m.

At that VERY least, where a set of decent yellow (or whatever) dish washing gloves. I used to work for a company that manufactures HV insulating gloves for Linemen. We had a large testing machine to keep our gloves up to standards. For fun we tested a bunch of dish washing gloves at 1K volts. No problems. I say at least because those gloves have no quality control for such a thing but they are MUCH better then bare hands. Go spend 8 dollars on a 6 pack of these and put them to use!

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
3/9/13 12:36 p.m.
decafe wrote: Batteries are the big cost but. we are trying to figure out some creative ideas to sourcing and linking in a series.

The top challenges to an EV are (AFAIK): Battery cost/weight and length of recharge time.

A couple nights ago the local (Lancaster PA) NBC station ran a story regarding a guy who took a '68 SAAB and made it into a EV with a 100 mile range. From what I saw it was a well done job (both conversion as well as general restoration) and he used lithium ion(?)batteries but the unanswered question was the cost of batteries vs cost of what gasoline a relatively economical car would use.

BTW his next EV project is a London taxi...

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
3/9/13 1:21 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: Are we talking a trophy for an EV challenge car ?

decafe
decafe New Reader
3/11/13 6:31 a.m.

alright we are picking up our donor car tonite will send out some pictures .

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/11/13 8:54 a.m.
shadetree30 wrote: but the unanswered question was the cost of batteries vs cost of what gasoline a relatively economical car would use.

That's an argument that can be used to say that all new cars are bad, all expensive cars are bad, all _____ cars are bad, and only $1000 beater economy cars are good.

Sometimes, there are different priorities, and getting completely off of gasoline is one of them.

decafe
decafe New Reader
3/15/13 2:59 p.m.

We picked it up yesterday Its a 1980 jet electra 007 Dodge Omni glider with a 23 hp ge motor. It was said to get 70 mph . Needs alot of tlc but is all there . going to pull the 20 6 volt batteries and replace with 10 12 volt batteries will cut run time in half but takes aprox 800 lbs off curb weight . Our goal is take 1000 lbs off .Will test this weekend , hopefully nothing is fried . Does anyone know the entry fees for the 2013 challenge ?

Karl La Follette
3/16/13 7:34 a.m.
decafe wrote: We picked it up yesterday Its a 1980 jet electra 007 Dodge Omni glider with a 23 hp ge motor. It was said to get 70 mph . Needs alot of tlc but is all there . going to pull the 20 6 volt batteries and replace with 10 12 volt batteries will cut run time in half but takes aprox 800 lbs off curb weight . Our goal is take 1000 lbs off .Will test this weekend , hopefully nothing is fried . Does anyone know the entry fees for the 2013 challenge ?

Piks ?

Karl La Follette
3/16/13 9:03 a.m.

If you build it they will soon come

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/16/13 12:17 p.m.
shadetree30 wrote: The top challenges to an EV are (AFAIK): Battery cost/weight and length of recharge time.

For conventional use, yes.

I wouldn't think you'd need much juice to do a handful of autox runs or a few drag strip passes, and for the challenge it's got a day to recharge between them, right?

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
3/16/13 1:41 p.m.

I already showed one possible recipe for a $20XX challenger. I'd love to see more try! Yes, it's certainly dangerous working with high voltage, which my setup was.

The trick is weight vs. power. Yes, EVs can easily make power if you throw a boatload of battery at a HUGE forklift motor, but the weight of the batteries, motor, cables, etc. will get too high. I used an AC motor and controller that are very lightweight for the power they make, but they're tough to find cheap. I needed high voltage, and I chose to used salvaged Prius packs to get it. I still think this path makes a lot of sense and works just the same if I was doing a pure EV instead of the hybrid build I did. I originally was planning on that, but I'd have to build a purpose-built $20xx car that was only good for few miles at a time to be competitive and I didn't want to do that at the time. That was the beauty of my Fiero...I could drive in EV only (staging), gas only (driving to California), or both (racing).

If I were doing a purpose built $20xx EV, I'd put my 115 hp electric powertrain into a gutted Civic or similar with the equivalent of 5 Prius packs. That way I could focus on the powertrain integration and not worry about the chassis tuning because it's been done to death on a Civic.

Good luck.

Bryce

Karl La Follette
3/16/13 1:49 p.m.

My battery guy Jerry says $180 for brand new 36 volt interstate , it is a pretty battery also . It has the two posts at one end and looks like a suitcase basically . Serious nice looking battery

decafe
decafe New Reader
3/16/13 2:02 p.m.

Not good at posting pictures but if you search Jet Electrica 007 ev (Dodge Omni )/ 1981 Frontal Crash Test on You tube you can see one in its final moment , and no that is not mine

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VhAAoj2e2QFNzbaP0uaSfNjLFfjmQdzi1ZjEgTrfgWgmlsZ3Tk5NviH8plHyiSHb