1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/27/19 5:20 a.m.
feature_image

Is GRM becoming a stance magazine? No, no worries. Then why do we attend Simply Clean here in Daytona Beach each November? Because it’s a chance to take a refreshing look at car culture–new ideas, friendly faces and a reminder that, at the end of the day, this is all supposed to be about having fun. Check out our photos …

Read the rest of the story

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/27/19 5:35 a.m.

Cars = Art

Edit: It is amazing how a car can look so "pedestrian" from the factory yet that very same car can become something of a masterpiece in the right hands.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
11/27/19 6:00 a.m.

Most, not all, of those cars are fine. I'd jack them up a couple of inches and fix the camber errors, otherwise nicely done vehicles. Now , the one thing I think is just berkleying stupid  is the fad of having tires stretched so far that the side walls have a finger width gap to the edge of the rim. Nicest car in the pictures is the gray Rabbit IMHO.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
11/27/19 6:38 a.m.

Very cool. I wouldn't want to have a stanced vehicle but I like the fact that young people are still doing their automotive thing.  So many of the young guys I know these days don't even want to get their driver's license anymore, preferring instead to hang out on social media and using uber.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
11/27/19 6:54 a.m.

That MR2 looks cool!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/27/19 7:12 a.m.

I can dig the caddy and Benz...

aw614
aw614 Reader
11/27/19 7:16 a.m.

Heh, I know the owner of red e36 convertible. But I like a lot of the wannabe track look many have switched up to, though those are the same people who "claim" they want to track their car, only to back out at the last minute or always say their car "isn't ready". 

Though some of the mods make me scratch my head. Apparently this accord was at simply clean yikes....

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5SvSMrFCpX/

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
11/27/19 7:29 a.m.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
11/27/19 7:40 a.m.

I think stancing is beyond stupid, but my opinion doesn't matter.  I will say those cleaned up engine bays that appear to be completely unwired is a neat look.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
11/27/19 7:59 a.m.

A bunch of these cars must be on air ride suspensions. It would be nice to see them at ride height.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/27/19 8:10 a.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Very cool. I wouldn't want to have a stanced vehicle but I like the fact that young people are still doing their automotive thing.  So many of the young guys I know these days don't even want to get their driver's license anymore, preferring instead to hang out on social media and using uber.

This......and car eye candy is always a good thing 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/19 8:13 a.m.

I thought that was some sort of aluminum foil covering. Nope, anime chicks. Explains a lot. 

I really like the wireless look though. Must be a massive pain in the ass to setup.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/19 8:26 a.m.

I REALLY wanted to attend this, but life has made other plans for me... Hopefully next year.

I love how much creativity goes into these - it's art that moves, and some of this will trickle into other parts of the automotive spectrum. Keeps things evolving and gets more people involved in automobiles.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
11/27/19 9:05 a.m.

That W123 sitting next to the Beetle is gorgeous. I think it would be fun to build something with air ride at some point. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/27/19 9:49 a.m.

I wonder how many of those VWs were at H2O fest.

If you're not getting some contact information for paint and body shops at an event like this, you're doing it wrong.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
11/27/19 10:09 a.m.

Most of these I really like for one reason or another. I could do without stretched tires, but to each their own. I will echo I am just glad to still see bigger people playing with cars.

David S. Wallens
11/27/19 10:25 a.m.
Powar said:

That W123 sitting next to the Beetle is gorgeous. I think it would be fun to build something with air ride at some point. 

We could easily feature that W123....

Powar
Powar UltraDork
11/27/19 10:48 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Powar said:

We could easily feature that W123....

I'd be interested in reading about it. I've looked at a few of them over the years but never pulled the trigger. Most of them are pretty rotten up here.

Erikl
Erikl New Reader
11/27/19 10:51 a.m.

I hope alot of these folks will eventually get to a track or autocross and get the bug.  Then they can apply their passion and skills for a purpose beyond just showing.  There are many cars there that are not far from being a fun start at the track.

I am amazed that tires can be stretched that far and still be safe to drive even a few miles.

I echo the above - love to young folks still interested in the car.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/19 11:30 a.m.

I use to be an opinionated prick. . .   Ok well that may not have changed much but I have become much more accepting opinionated prick of what others do with cars. Although allot of the things I see is not something I would build I can appreciate the work that goes in to it.  The art, and yes there is allot of engineering.  Some good and some bad but they dare to do it.  

A couple of years ago  I was at a car show and a 60-70 year old gentleman was there with his Lincoln town car from the early 90's.  Every nut bold and screw had been touched by him.  The car was a pearl metallic burgandy/purple flip flop paint with red shag interior and velvet diamond pattern seats with gold trim.  there was lace shadowed into the clear coat on the roof that was so deep you felt like you had to reach an inch to touch it. The wheels were real chrome wire spoke 15's with slightly stretched white walls.  They whole car ran on air bags.  And all this was just what I could remember.

What I have come to appreciate and greatly respect those that have there own vision and execute it.  Anyone can restore an old muscle car.  There is no creativity in doing that.  In fact it is about as far from being creative as you can get with a car.  If you have seen one restored 70 chevelle 454 ss you have seen them all.  Boring. . . 

People that hate on a particular type of car or group of enthusiasts are narrow minded.  Sad really.

I for one would welcome more stance in the GRM Magazine.  Why not?  There is some incredible builds there.  Grm should interview one and get the background on one of those cars and tell the owners and the cars story.  There was an argument about covering high end cars and why GRM actually reviews things like GT3's and new AMG's.  Why not stance or the "rust-o-mods"?  We are all car guys.  It is like a Red sox fan hating a Yankees fan. 

It is easy to be exclusive.  Hating something because you don't understand is unfortunately the norm with people. 

Being inclusive and accepting is hard.  But by doing so you may actually learn something.  These are the car guys I want to hang with.  

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
11/27/19 11:34 a.m.

I'll never hate on someone enjoying their car.  They're keeping the car culture alive.

I'm stumped, however, on what car this is? 

-Rob

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/27/19 11:43 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Stay off my lawn you young wipper  snappers. Why I remember when pushrods replaced the Flathead.  
That's cool paint, It's just crazy man!  Far out!  
laugh

Actually they are impressive and I'm certain represent a great deal of dedication and sacrifice. Well Done

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/19 11:51 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

I'm stumped, however, on what car this is? 

-Rob

I really REALLY  Like that!!!!

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/19 11:58 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

That's a Nissan Gloria. Kinda like the 02ish Infiniti M45s grand-daddy

David S. Wallens
11/27/19 1:01 p.m.

You can find the Gloria's owner on Instagram. 

Here's a photo of the back of the car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
izdntH9QFDhL9AocOKs2rA3K4aVldYKW7rCcGiFFfYsDGEVgVb1bsD8vN42gAAFo