1 2
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/27/19 1:17 p.m.

Really, this is just an extension of the early low rider culture.

What I like about a lot of the cars pictured is just the imagination and vision put into them. They are well thought out and the owners put the time and love to sweat the details on the build. I think it's great. It may or may not be my cup of tea but I can always appreciate a clean car.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/27/19 1:59 p.m.
RevRico said:

I thought that was some sort of aluminum foil covering. Nope, anime chicks. Explains a lot. 

I really like the wireless look though. Must be a massive pain in the ass to setup.

You can follow the Civic owner here. Also, gotta say thank you to those who stick their Instagram handle somewhere on their car. Makes it way easy to find them. 

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
11/27/19 3:01 p.m.

I love the Benzes and the Glorias, but that Mazda 6 on Vishnus makes me feel some type of way.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/27/19 3:02 p.m.

I think the Gloria would look amazing with fender mounted side mirrors.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/19 6:20 p.m.

I went for the first time this year, and took my 15 year old son and his 16 year old friend. We all had a great time, and they LOVED the show. Some of the cars were head scratchers, but, overall, I was blown away by the enthusiasm on display. It was awesome! 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/27/19 7:52 p.m.

This is nice

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/27/19 8:01 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Most, not all, of those cars are fine. I'd jack them up a couple of inches and fix the camber errors, otherwise nicely done vehicles.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well, but that's how I'd do them - I understand others have different tastes and that's fine too.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/28/19 8:50 a.m.

I am always in the minority, but I really dislike anything, stance car, hot rod, anything, with no wires and hoses visible.  I'm not sure if it's because they appear non functional, or that I really appreciate beautifully done wire harnesses and hardlines and such.  

It could be that as a life long mechanic, I want access to that stuff when it goes wrong, too. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
11/28/19 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I'm kind of the same way. I like to see the hoses and wires done in a way that it adds to the look of the bay. I remember on one car I worked on, I spent hours trying to route plug wires and the wire separators so that they looked appealing to the eye since the owner wanted to use the car for summer cruising and car shows. 

I can appreciate the wire tucking on more modern vehicles because a lot of modern engine bays have miles of wires running through out, so a clean up to make the bay look less cluttered is also very appealing. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
11/28/19 9:14 p.m.

There are some very nice cars in that photo shoot; very nice cars indeed. I trend more toward 4wd trail rigs, but it’s easy to recognize the talent and sheer man hours that go into the building of any car. Good for them!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/19 9:34 p.m.

I want anime girl valve covers for my datsun

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop HalfDork
11/29/19 11:37 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

Nissan Cedric

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
11/30/19 1:32 a.m.

Stancing is aesthetically questionable and functionally stupid and dangerous.  All in the name of what?  Being trendy?  

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
11/30/19 1:35 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

If we get a choice, I would prefer vintage pinups, please.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
11/30/19 6:06 a.m.

In reply to msterbeau :

I feel much the same way as you do; however, most of these cars are 1) not daily driven, and 2) contain thousands of man hours each to reach the point they’ve reached in terms of being “show ready”

It is utter foolishness to not recognize the work and talent that have gone into them, despite one’s  personal opinion of the car itself. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
11/30/19 8:05 a.m.

I love a shaved bay.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/19 8:44 a.m.
msterbeau said:

In reply to Patrick :

If we get a choice, I would prefer vintage pinups, please.

Why not both?

Homura Akemiisn't the God we wanted, but the God we deserved

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/30/19 11:45 a.m.

Managed to get my photos off my phone and onto my laptop. Here are some highlights from our visit.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/30/19 3:04 p.m.

I for one would like to invite any one of them to join my next Challenge effort for the concours.  That said, those cars are, simply........CLEAN.

I cant support anything that makes a car dangerous or undriveable, i wont even put aero on my Miata because it will get broken on a speed bump or keep me from easily getting into my trunk, so their dedication is admirable for sure.  Where are the plug wires on that Honda?!?!?

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/30/19 3:08 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Are we still talking about cars?

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/30/19 3:32 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Thanks for posting that! I had plans to go but had to do something else. At least I saw a little bit, thanks to you!

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
11/30/19 4:14 p.m.

Not my thing, I don't get the "stance" thing at all.  Seems like a great way to ruin a car but I'm happy to see people enjoying the hobby as they want.  That's the important thing.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/19 4:38 p.m.

I really like this!!!!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/1/19 6:38 p.m.

A few are more "art" than "car" but overall I like what I see and you have to respect the time and talent applied here.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/7/19 8:12 a.m.

I used to have an attitude about these cars.  I forgot how much I loved my first year honda crx, and all the hondas I have owned.  I had become such a "ford" guy and mustang guy.  I actually invented the rat rod culture back in the late 70's, but we just called it being poor.  I had so many mg midgets and bug eyed sprites.  I loved all those cars and was so disappointed when no one saw them for the beauties they could become or what I saw in my minds eye.   When I remembered that at a mixed car show, I was able to really appreciate the "other cars".  I was at world of wheels last year in boston.  They had quite a few tuner cars.  When I told these guys how I really thought their cars were works of art, they lit up and were ready to tell me about their builds.  It was obvious some of the crowd didn't and couldn't appreciate the tuner set.  Maybe having a 17 year old son helps.  He is amazed at the stanced cars.  But he grew up watching road kill, so he actually loves  beaters.

Now that we have two miatas, I think we have gone full circle.  Of course, I had to tweak some noses with my car.  Do you think the license plate, "Ricer X" would not be appreciated by this crowd?

Anyway, like the rest of you, I am just happy to see the younger set loving cars and I can appreciate all the work put into these things.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oquUggqCvDDmpTPPnNaWY6zVvgXJd0z7FVyQl0CYqZWDkp1UYapywdTHivTN5rIm