doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
11/24/15 4:25 p.m.

So as I understand it, the 2011 is the only E90 with the newer N55 motor which seems to be somewhat simpler and also more reliable. 2012 is F30 correct? I prefer the E90. Pre 2011 was N54 twin turbo correct?

What are the major issues to be aware of? I would likely be looking at a 4 door, automatic (not necessary but it is the wifes preference) but maybe a manual if I can find a good enough deal to sway her that way.

I see that the HPFP issues are mostly resolved, and even if not they aren't a huge issue to DIY. Same goes for the water pumps. Anything potentially fatal or catastrophic I should know about? I've owned Euro cars before, and I'm not really scared of them. Should I be worried about owning one of these sleeper rockets off warranty?

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
11/24/15 4:29 p.m.

Dunno, maybe my experience. But I looked at the 128i and purchasing it would have left me with about $6,000 cash for planned repairs. I did a bunch of reading and realized that would get me about a year driving around the car, so said screw that. Car was at 70k miles btw. I've heard the 335i can be even worse.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
11/24/15 4:38 p.m.

My local euro indy shop guy prefers the NA motors for longevity. His take is the extra heat the turbos put out accelerates all the under-hood maintenance needs whether it's n54 or n55 - from water pump, hoses, seals, valvetronic actuators...

drdisque
drdisque Reader
11/24/15 4:45 p.m.

Yes, the 2011 was the only E90 with the N55.

The N55 is a little more sorted than the N54.

You have all the major issues covered. Only thing you missed is front control arm bushings - again, not too expensive and reasonably DIY-friendly.

These cars get a bad rap. The maintenance costs are already factored into depreciation and almost all the maintenance issues are pretty well known quantities. The core parts of the chassis and drivetrain are very solid.

Also, note that the 2011 "Automatic" is a Dual-Clutch. It's not a bad gearbox, but it's not as smooth as the automatic and it doesn't like getting hot (like at a track day). It doesn't sound like you plan on tracking the car so that should be a non-issue.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/15 5:34 p.m.
Coldsnap wrote: Dunno, maybe my experience. But I looked at the 128i and purchasing it would have left me with about $6,000 cash for planned repairs. I did a bunch of reading and realized that would get me about a year driving around the car, so said screw that. Car was at 70k miles btw. I've heard the 335i can be even worse.

$6k/year for repairs on a 128???? Who fixes your car? The enemy?

Yes, I have owned BMWs ...saying it would cost $6k/year tells me you have no idea what you are talking about and just spreading rumors.

For the record, I've had an e30, (3) e36s including an M3, an e46 M3 and an e93 M3. None cost me that much to maintain, not even the V8.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 6:20 p.m.
Slippery wrote:
Coldsnap wrote: Dunno, maybe my experience. But I looked at the 128i and purchasing it would have left me with about $6,000 cash for planned repairs. I did a bunch of reading and realized that would get me about a year driving around the car, so said screw that. Car was at 70k miles btw. I've heard the 335i can be even worse.
$6k/year for repairs on a 128???? Who fixes your car? The enemy? Yes, I have owned BMWs ...saying it would cost $6k/year tells me you have no idea what you are talking about and just spreading rumors. For the record, I've had an e30, (3) e36s including an M3, an e46 M3 and an e93 M3. None cost me that much to maintain, not even the V8.

My racing habit is largely funded by European cars and $6k/year on any BMW is just a bad year for that particular car, not an expected annual expenditure.

However, for ALL vehicles, those years happen. And it seems like BMW owners either take everything in stride (the "It's my baby, just make it Correct when I get it back" group) or they complain about every cent they have to spend (the group that bought it because of what their neighbors think). Guess who talks the most online? It's not the people who keep their cars well maintained.

I still - STILL - have a particular couple stuck in my mind, who had a 540i. It was a beautiful 540i. They lived in a rich part of their suburb, and their car had bald tires, and no working speedometer, odometer, or fuel gauge, because they never fixed anything when it broke, and they were perplexed that we couldn't fart out a Fix for what was wrong without a diagnostic charge first. Well, we COULD get the speedo head replaced, but that might not be it. We won't know unless we tear into it for diagnostics. Yes, that costs money. No, we can't guarantee that randomly replacing parts will fix anything. And around and around...

I heard it opined that they probably had a completely empty house, but dangit they lived in the right neighborhood! "A fridge full of condiments without any food."

THAT is likely the kind of person who makes the most volume online.

Anyway, err, how much would you say you spend per annum maintaining your E46 M3? I'm asking for a friend.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/15 6:34 p.m.
Knurled Anyway, err, how much would you say you spend per annum maintaining your E46 M3? I'm asking for a friend.

The e46 M3 was a 2005 that I sold in 2011 with around 65k miles. The most expensive service was inspection 2 and I believe it was $1700, I only had this done once. Other than that, the other expense was tires, it had the optional 19" wheels.

While out of warranty, I do not think I spent more than $1k/year.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Slippery:

Okay, you're not helping, since a silver E46 coupe is high on my OMG WANT list and the main thing turning me off of it is potential expense if the previous owner was a fridge-full-of-condiments kind of owner.

Every time I start thinking about M3s, I turn up the boost on my Volvo and the desire passes. I'm out of boost to turn up, though

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/24/15 7:19 p.m.

I love my new to me e46 M3. It's a fun car!

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
11/24/15 11:15 p.m.

How would you compare it to your old e39 M5?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/25/15 6:44 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

I hope none of those pines are anywhere near your driveway. I have lost multiple windshields to pine trees. I hate pine trees!

Aspen
Aspen Reader
11/25/15 7:56 a.m.

The N54 turbos are prone to failure and cost a ton to replace. (two turbos, engine/transmission out of car) Do a search on waste gate rattle. The fuel injectors are also bad. If you can find a car with those already replaced you should be good. If they haven't been done, I would pass.

They can also have electrical issues with the charging system. 2007 cars sometimes had ABS expensive issues.

A 2011 with the N55 and good maintenance might be worth the premium. These are coming off lease now so should be plentiful.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
11/25/15 8:36 a.m.
84FSP wrote: I can share some painful stories from my 08 335I if you care to hear of them. Tons of fun to drive and really a fast beast on the road. Flappy padels are super fun and with all nanny modes off will hold shifts as long as you can. Negatives... Almost all major engine seals needed replacing by 80K miles. Crazy expensive waterpump and thermostat. Barely any clearance on the front of the motor to the subframe which means the second the subframe bushings/motormounts get any wear then bang the polymer pulleys on the subframe causing expensive and exciting problems. In my case it took five miles to have the serp belts destroy itself, wind around the crank pulley and get sucked into the crank pulley race destroying it. Chek Bimmerforums or E90 post for more service issues. Mine was a 60K dealer maintained car. In the end it cost me 13.5K to drive it 35K miles making it simultaneously the worst and most expensive vehice I have ever owned.

From the thread that I made. During my research I found so many stories like this. Just scurred me off. The insurance increase was about $1,000 a year. Dunno, just an expensive car to own and I wasn't sure if I'm at a place in my life to do be doing that.

dyintorace
11/25/15 8:58 a.m.
Nathan JansenvanDoorn wrote: How would you compare it to your old e39 M5?

Very different. The e46 M3 feels anemic off the line, as it has much less torque. The M5 felt faster too, but probably just because it was moving more mass. And the M5 sounded simply amazing with the Dinan exhaust. That said, the M3 handles much, much better, especially this one, as it has a PSS10 coilover set up, bigger sways, upgraded brakes and plus size tires. It also has an intake, exhaust and tune, so it sounds better than stock, but not as cool as the M5 did.

dyintorace
11/25/15 8:58 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to dyintorace: I hope none of those pines are anywhere near your driveway. I have lost multiple windshields to pine trees. I hate pine trees!

Luckily not my driveway!

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
11/25/15 9:03 a.m.

Think the N55 e90 started 2010 and should be more sorted than the earlier. There were significant recall and warranty issues on high pressure fuel pump, injectors, wastegate rattle, and a few others. The brand new 4runner limited that replaced it was $100 a year cheaper to insure than the 08 335i so insurance is higher. With all that said it was really fun. It was the fastest and best handling stock vehicle I've ever owned and do miss driving it.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
11/25/15 9:08 a.m.

They easily have the best interiors too. Love the simple luxury.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
11/25/15 10:37 a.m.
Aspen wrote: The N54 turbos are prone to failure and cost a ton to replace. (two turbos, engine/transmission out of car) Do a search on waste gate rattle. The fuel injectors are also bad. If you can find a car with those already replaced you should be good. If they haven't been done, I would pass. They can also have electrical issues with the charging system. 2007 cars sometimes had ABS expensive issues. A 2011 with the N55 and good maintenance might be worth the premium. These are coming off lease now so should be plentiful.

All of this. Leaking turbos, dropped injectors, HPFP issues, carbon buildup issues.

It's a shame, they've gotten cheap enough that I'm tempted to buy one, drive it for a year or two, then cut my losses when things start to break.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
11/25/15 3:11 p.m.

Guess I've been lucky. My 2010 135i with a 65k mile N54 has been awesome. I've had it 3 years and have spent $460 in repairs including replacing 3 injectors myself. BMW has extended the warranty on the turbos to 8 years / 82k miles and fuel pump to 10 year/120k.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
11/25/15 3:20 p.m.

I'd be dead scared of a turbo BMW. I'd stick with the na motors.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/25/15 3:27 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: BMW has extended the warranty on the turbos to 8 years / 82k miles and fuel pump to 10 year/120k.

That's good to know, thanks.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/25/15 3:43 p.m.

Bought a 2009 E92 x-drive w/ 55K milles a few months ago. Around $1K maintenance so far w/ fluids, filters, PS hoses, other maintenance and checks. I don't work on it yet, choice local indie mechanic gave it clean bill of health and called it well bought.

I'll take my chances w/ this, my first BMW. I absolutely love this car. I've owned a lot of vehicles in over 40 years of driving and this is my favorite by far. Not a Coyote or Hemi killer but I love it for what it is.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
11/25/15 8:48 p.m.

These cars also require direct injection cleaning maintinence. A battery replacement requires it to be "registered" by a dealer/indy shop. Owned mine for 7 yrs and have had great luck with mine, besides the typical hpfp issues (never left me stranded) I have only had a bad coil and a battery replacement.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
02vuvBMUJPg3ZPPA2K3K5WxSAsDElUC0FkPHRpCZkPLJu1m6qq0nHSyQOMT4NvRc