1 2
LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/18 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Shipping wasn't much. I'll see if I can find the invoice.

Shame they didn't advertise these better ... or even a tiny bit really! Impossible to find any information. Now that they're blowing them out, I guess they've been discontinued.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/1/18 1:04 p.m.

So, what would be better for the challenge: these, in 205/50/15, or really used Hoosier sm7 spec miata slicks?

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/1/18 1:33 p.m.

$50 a tire is insane.  I wish I can jump on em

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/18 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Used Hoosiers is where I’d put my money. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/1/18 3:24 p.m.

Thats what i was thinking.  Dope them for the challenge and run em.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
7/1/18 6:45 p.m.

So do these not look like a great alternative to sticky expensive tires for sunny day cars?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/1/18 7:44 p.m.

I guess I didn't finish my report on these.  We tested them before the Chump race a couple of years ago.  RS 3's we're about a second a lap quicker on 1:45 ish laps, and they got hot and slick feeling really quickly.  I still have them, and will wear them off sometime. 

As a related thought, love the RS 4'S, we tried last year.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/18 7:46 p.m.

I’m just going to use them to drive to the track and in case of rain. Anyway, for $200 for a complete set of four, I figured they were worth a shot. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/2/18 6:13 p.m.

Welp, they never got in contact with me about the shipping charges. Just an email saying my order shipped. Check my account and turns out they charged me $97.50  for shipping. frown 

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/3/18 6:47 a.m.
Vigo said:

Welp, they never got in contact with me about the shipping charges. Just an email saying my order shipped. Check my account and turns out they charged me $97.50  for shipping. frown 

Eeek...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/23/18 11:42 p.m.

For those interested in the NON-DOT bias plys...

Drove an exocet on them at a recent event.  Exocet had stiff springs and good dampers, but stock sways.  Stock 99ish miata motor (if i recall correctly)

Tires were being run at 16psi in order to try to get heat in them. There was more slip angle than you would expect if you are used to 200tw and Hoosier A6/7.   Meaning, there is more slop between the contact patch and the rim direction. It isnt as crisp. This makes slaloms and such a bit more work as it isnt quite as direct. The steering is a bit more of a suggestion.  This isnt as bad as it sounds. It still has tons of raw grip. It also has the side effect of making the car VERY forgiving. I got it very out of shape at one point, it did a big 4 wheel slide with smooth recovery. Hoosiers would have been a big spin. 

I am going ahead with my plans of using these tires for my Miata suspended, R1 powered, spitfire build that I hope to start in ernst next year. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/21/19 12:04 p.m.

Hmmm, Bringing this one back to the top. I'm looking at tires for the exocet and see that Asphalt Midget tires in the "m-28" compound are 78 a tire right now. Very good deal (well, if they work). 

I've emailed them as well to see what they say, but was checking to see if anyone else has had results with these tires on a road course.

I've looked at a few of their 13x8 tires and it's all a bit confusing on what's appropriate where.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/21/19 12:34 p.m.

Only autocross knowledge for me, I think there was a thread on miata.net a long time back for track.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/21/19 1:19 p.m.

American Racer is the spec tire at Fonda Speedway for 2019 replacing Hoosiers.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/21/19 1:34 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

Do they list which tire are they using? I think my main confusion is there are 10923810928301982 different types of tires (sorted by car type - most of which I'm not familiar with) and I'm not sure which one is OK where? I've emailed them so I'll report what they say.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/21/19 5:39 p.m.

So far all I've seen is the notice.   Your e mail may get more info.

American Racer list tires for the various class on their web site.   Might give yu a better idea.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/23/19 11:26 a.m.

So much for getting more info. No responses (yet) from any of the 3 contacts I've pinged. I'm going to try another distribution center email that supposedly has helped circle-track guys in the past.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lqJdq412IgP00MSG5vazcpKuP9DEMpb6DpYr6GUWy4sYYDdasCS4vDNV5sSnjRhr