Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
3/14/18 2:53 p.m.

https://jalopnik.com/this-glorious-madman-stuffed-a-p85-tesla-drivetrain-int-1823461909

just reading through it, and thought some of you guys would do a better job at fitting this battery pack so it doesn’t ride like a gasser. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/18 3:09 p.m.

i'd make it higher

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
3/14/18 3:47 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

i'd make it higher

That was my thought. Grab an s10 chassis. Lift it. Then it at least looks correct and has a reason for being so high

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/14/18 3:58 p.m.

Ew. That's kind of gross. He should have cut out the back seat, flipped the battery around and then put in a normal front suspension. Also, more plasma cutting so the rear would sit right. 

8valve
8valve Reader
3/14/18 4:50 p.m.

Super ugly.  I dig it.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/14/18 5:02 p.m.

What makes it acceptable is the crazy acceleration, otherwise, yeah...

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
3/14/18 5:03 p.m.

He didn’t mention the cost on this setup. Wonder what he paid...

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
3/14/18 5:09 p.m.

As these cars (Teslas) become more common and get a few years old I think they will start to pop up as salvages and at insurance auctions. We should start seeing a few really quiet and incredibly fast electric builds in the next few years. Exciting times.

plain92
plain92 New Reader
3/14/18 6:41 p.m.

Classic Japanese electric American hotrod/drag car I like it smiley

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/14/18 6:47 p.m.

Looks like a pretty easy place to drop just about any car body you want as long as the wheelbase matches. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/14/18 10:44 p.m.

I’ve seen a couple wrecked ones in the $20k range. With what I’ve heard about Tesla’s part supply chain I wonder if you could get close to that out of body and interior parts. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE New Reader
3/16/18 10:33 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Per some youtubers, that is true.

I too, cannot wait for cheaper tesla motors and parts and I think ole' Elon really screwed up not offering more motors and batteries on the open market for hobbyists.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/16/18 10:44 a.m.

I've definitely got a lust/fear thing going on over the whole EV transplant thing. Love the idea, but that's a lot of potentially lethal current to mess up with.

It seems real hard to get Can Bus hacking info on these controllers - whether it's the Leaf or the Tesla. But in my case, maybe that's a good thing.surprise

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
3/16/18 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

As someone who works with electricity every day there is not really anything to fear as long as you have the knowledge and know to shut things down before you touch them, and you know where electricity is when it is supposed to and not supposed to be there. Again, this is probably only because I do this every day for a living. It’s definitely not something to screw around with as a hobbyist. One of the biggest thing is when dealing with batteries is to remember to discharge any capacitors prior to working on them

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/16/18 12:44 p.m.
Kreb said:

I've definitely got a lust/fear thing going on over the whole EV transplant thing. Love the idea, but that's a lot of potentially lethal current to mess up with.

It seems real hard to get Can Bus hacking info on these controllers - whether it's the Leaf or the Tesla. But in my case, maybe that's a good thing.surprise

Yeah..I have thought about this since the start.  Even with factory cars, in case of accidents I don't have a feel for how batteries come into play as a contributing danger to the occupants and the first-aid responders.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
3/16/18 1:47 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Did you watch grand tour this season? When that radical electric super car Hammond was driving caught fire, the batteries burned for weeks afterwards. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/16/18 2:01 p.m.

I remember someone buying a salvage-titled Tesla sometime back and found out (too late) that the factory had remote-bricked it.  They did so because they had no way to know what was being done with it, didn't know if the repairs were safe, or whether the repairs were ugly. In short, they bricked it for both legal and reputation reasons (imagine it burning to the ground due to the rebuilder shorting it and the story getting out. It would do far more harm than good to their reputation since they'd get the blame.

So if you buy one today, I wonder how people are getting them to work. Has Tesla relented, or do rebuilders avoid the issue by using some non-Tesla controller.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
3/16/18 9:34 p.m.

I swear the combination of the electric motor that body style and gasser set up made it look like and sound like an rc car taking off.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
3/16/18 10:19 p.m.

He had a chance to put it in a Roadmaster wagon and he failed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bg3RVLe73oUxXRzwjv5pKvQ4LfuqHEPzemMSgkkA1rOfoniYZXO4ft7U1sv5Ycp9