1 2
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/19 5:29 a.m.

No, but this car is giving me a strong desire to do just that. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/11/19 7:06 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Many thread hi jacks add to the conversation even if they don’t directly relate.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/11/19 7:09 a.m.

I’m not totally sure I’ve gotten my point across which is 100% on me.

If there were two very similar cars, similar hp, drive configuration, price, options etc. but one was universally considered a significantly better handler than the other, would you ignore the fact that you find it unattractive and choose the lesser vehicle based SOLELY on looks?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/11/19 7:26 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

If there were two very similar cars, similar hp, drive configuration, price, options etc. but one was universally considered a significantly better handler than the other, would you ignore the fact that you find it unattractive and choose the lesser vehicle based SOLELY on looks?

Depends on:

1)  The goal (I.E. is the handling critical?)

2)  The underlying bones of the ugly car.  If it has decent geometry and you can fix things with spring rate & whatnot, great.  If its a torsion beam rear and the other IRS or something along those lines then nope.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/11/19 7:28 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I would just want to reenact this every day

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
2/11/19 7:46 a.m.

Drive the one that you like more. Doesn't matter if you like it more for the way it drives, or the way it looks. No need to feel shame for liking one more than the other.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
2/11/19 8:38 a.m.

Yeah, I've made that trade.  My mk1 MR2 is a good example.  A NA Miata is better in every objective way, but they just don't do it for me the way that 80's-tastic wedge does.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/11/19 8:59 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

How YOU feel about the way it drives is far more important than what is "universally considered."  Drive both and see which one makes you smile. Is the "better" car a stunningly better experience? In the end, flip a coin. Don't decide based on the flip, but decide based on how you FEEL about the resort. Were you happy or disappointed about the result? That will tell you which car you actually want - and that's the one you should buy.

Sometimes it's more fun to drive a less capable car just because it's more of a handful. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/11/19 9:13 a.m.

Do it!

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/19 11:16 a.m.

Certainly I've traded looks for performance.  For a while I had 20" rimz on my Impala SS.  They sucked.  My current Fordzda Branger is getting 16" black wheels this week because I wanted specific tires and room for bigger brakes.  The additional weight, moment of inertia, and additional 1/2" of height to the truck will compromise a lot of things, but it's gonna look sweet.  Of course, that truck's strong points never included handling, acceleration, or ride quality to begin with.

When it comes to the real performance cars in my stable, I try to do something that accomplishes both, but I will err on the side of getting the performance I want.  For instance, my 67 LeMans might get minilites once I get the handling sorted out.  I don't think its the best look for a classic pontiac, but sometimes it suggests the real capabilities.  I had a 74 Maverick that I was going to go all Nascar and use yellow letter tires and D-window wagon wheels, but it was going to have the capability to back it up.  Sometimes there is a sexiness to an ugly look that is functional and gives a nod to the performance ability of the car.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/19 11:46 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

Do it!

I wish I could - there’s actually *two* of them, apparently matching, with sequential VINs, and mileage less than 7k on each one. The other is stored covered indoors & is supposedly in better condition. He’s asking $10k for this one & $20k for the one inside, which is absurd given that every piece of rubber is likely in need of replacement by now. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yCFnCervDdAuGZuIjZAqmIbLt0LpJtmazsFvd99eQPDCnbjhUDifsNurPUn6N3UD