bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
7/31/08 2:59 p.m.

Soutern Sprint is for you.What is the Southern Sprint?

To quote Brock Yates from the One Lap of America website, "Yes, Virginia, there really was a Cannonball Run!" That is essentially what this is about. We're all enamored with the notion of doing a full-throttle cross-country race as fast as human and machine will take us, but in today's society where lawyers call all the shots, it's just too risky for most of us to even consider!

Make no mistake, the Tire Rack One Lap of America is the closest you'll get to experiencing a coast-to-coast race across country. While loosely based on the same concept, our little event is really only about 1/3 of the One Lap of America. As such, it makes a great entry-level event for those who have an interest in doing the One Lap, or good practice for the One Lap regular... or a less expensive and less time-consuming alternative for those who just can't justify doing the One Lap. But, what IS it?

It is a long and challenging road trip, which can (and should) be driven at legal highway speeds. This road trip is punctuated by daily competition events at various racing facilities across the Southeastern United States.

In three days, you will travel nearly 1,200 miles (mostly after dark!), compete in at least 6 time trial events on real race tracks, and compete in other motorsports events and challenges along the way. Just you, your co-driver, your car, and whatever you can fit in the back! Just as if you had packed up and left your house for an impromptu race across the country, you'll face whatever the road has in store for you using nothing more than what you've brought with you. Sound exciting? It is!

For more details about the Southern Sprint, check southernsprint.com. There is a discount to enter before August 15th.

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
7/31/08 4:51 p.m.

There is a Test and Tune for this event at Sebring August 7th

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
7/31/08 5:50 p.m.

bump

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
7/31/08 6:42 p.m.

bump

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/31/08 7:00 p.m.

Wow! Looks awesome...and cheap.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/31/08 9:06 p.m.

I did the One Lap Of America in 2003, It's a total blast. Plan ahead for a year and build something simple and reliable for either vintage or econmy class to start with. There just to much cubic money in the other classes. It was fun- fun-fun. Going as a team of three will help cut costs, just make sure you all can get along.

The Southern Sprint sounds like fun, wish I had known about it sooner. Maybe next year...

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
8/2/08 7:00 p.m.

bump

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
8/3/08 1:54 p.m.

bump

Hoomyster
Hoomyster New Reader
8/3/08 9:58 p.m.

Do you need to have a race license with any sanctioning body like NASA or SCCA?

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/4/08 9:28 a.m.

Gearheadotaku- what car did you run

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
8/8/08 4:09 p.m.

Check the web site link. No license

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
8/8/08 5:39 p.m.

I wanted to do it in my MGB GT, my old one that is (1974), about 10 years ago, just to prove that an MG can actually run that reliably. Unfortunately, keeping it running took away whatever money I had to do enter it and actually do it, so I didn't! I'd still love to do it, I've heard people put up ads for pay your own way co-drivers and assistants, too, is that true?

You do the driving, I'll bring a pallet of Coor's Light and a bag of chips. One Lap, Two Laps, whatever.

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
8/8/08 5:42 p.m.

Yes there are all kinds of deals done. Every team seems to have a different deal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Gxa0izEPwL33n8dpvER1KR0KgZLFyBU6fFoC67wuFANT015d63MSr0RxXyaQzDx