stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/16/17 5:35 p.m.

Have we had any threads on how to do headliners? I don't recall one...

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/17 5:50 p.m.

I hate it. I always mess it up and leave glue residue everywhere.

I cant give many pointers other than Joans Fabrics sells the foam backed material.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/17 5:54 p.m.
Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
5/16/17 6:07 p.m.

As Slippery mentioned, Joanns Fabrics sells headliner material. If you can't find the color you want there, WLS Headliners sells a bunch of different colors as well as the glue and glue remover.

Here's a how to on their site:

S10 Blazer headliner redo

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
5/16/17 6:22 p.m.

I did my own on my MKII GTI years ago.

I didn't like the off the shelf headliner material, so I bought fake suede material and thin foam backer. It made it twice as much work because I had to cut and glue the foam and the material in separate stages.

Being a 20 year old vehicle I had to repair the OEM foam shell with fiberglass too.

No it's not purple, it's grey.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/17 6:32 p.m.

I did the same with my old 318ti. I used the foam headliner material from Joanns, then after it was dried, I peeled off the fabric and glued up the "ultrasuede" material.

I did everything "wrong" if you read the internet and it both looked good and held up. Spray glue 77 (which they tell you not to use) and even rubber cement was used to get the corners tightly glued, and then the same with the fabric. After 5 years of use, all I had was some fading around the windows

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/16/17 7:08 p.m.

Dap landau top adhesive.

If you google project living room eclb you should find a writeup i did years ago.

Edit for the link

Interior resto

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/17 7:41 p.m.

I did my Cherokee in buffalo plaid felt a few years ago. With a helper I didn't think it was too bad, the felt was pretty forgiving to work with. We berkeleyed up keeping the pattern straight and had to go a little light on adhesive in some spots (buy WAY more than you think) where its not come off a bit, but overall I'm happy. It certainly draws a lot of comments!

jere
jere HalfDork
5/16/17 9:20 p.m.

How bad is the headliner you have? Stains or some colors can be changed. You can use the $5 bottles of acrylic craft paint from Walmart. Dilute in water and really rub it in good. Black covers most stains well.

I recovered mine but cracked the crap fiberglass whatever it is. The recover (which could have been just re dye) turned into glue and clamp a hundred spots, then spray glue X2 large cans 3m, then fight with the foam backed fabric total pita. The glue is letting go around some of the edges now too

stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/16/17 9:26 p.m.

In reply to jere:

Sagging in the middle and loose all across the top of the windshield....

procainestart
procainestart Dork
5/16/17 10:13 p.m.

About a dozen years ago I propped up the sagging headliner in one of my cars with upholstery pins, AKA bedskirt pins, which are little plastic disks with a metal pin twisted into a corkscrew. They're still holding the headliner up and I've yet to get around to replacing it...

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
5/18/17 8:41 a.m.

You can do it! First thing I noticed was that the failure was fabric and foam rather than the glue. Once the backing board was out (a struggle in itself) I had to lightly wire wheel to knock off crumbling foam. For material I have used the foam backed material with good results considering hot Texas will suck plastics and fabrics to dust. Have also used fleece thin blanket material...Batman logo in a Ranger, bed sheets with foam added (Ironman, polka-dots and multicolor stripes) and tried red mylar but it was a nightmare!

Just follow direction on glue and don't be stingy on coverage.

Bruce

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
5/18/17 8:51 a.m.

I did it twice on the Nissan Sentra I owned.

It takes a lot of patience to get it right. I always had issues with it bubbling in corners around the map lights on hot days though.

That was probably a side effect of the JCWittney kit I used and a black car in the 100 degree heat. If I did it again I'd be looking for a different higher quality adhesive.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/18/17 9:21 a.m.

For the $200 or so it cost to get my Grand Caravan done, that is at least a day's effort I will leave to the pros.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
5/18/17 1:26 p.m.

First one I ever did was the Saturn, I believe the fabric was a heavy outdoor type fabric, not headliner specific. No foam added and used 3m 90 spray adhesive. There was an area where the wire brush did some damage removing the foam, added hot glue to even it out and that was that. Came out pretty decent, I had a few wrinkles and one pocket where I couldn't get the fabric to lay onto the surface around the map light area due to how stiff the fabric was but the busy print hid my mistakes pretty well.

Second was my MX-6 Using non headliner specific fabric with no foam, more stretchable than the Saturn, 3m 90 adhesive and it came out a lot better. Still not perfect but good enough.

Both were well under $100 all in.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
5/18/17 6:28 p.m.

I have always had great success with the cheap microfiber fleece on pickem-ups. The issue is most full size trucks are wider than the 60" headliner material they sell, and longer too if its a crew cab. The fleece is 72" wide and that works great. Remember when getting material there is a curve to the headliner so if you measure straight across disappointment will be yours.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VG09rlGABrxXKtLuoYcnZggU3nTSZkWWTq33F6CbMlLWYviIdngmdacuVingWVkE