David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/21/18 1:59 p.m.
feature_image

Thermal imaging is no longer limited to RoboCop, Predator and modern-day warriors. Intercomp now offers a hand-held thermal imager. The device features a 2.4-inch screen plus storage space for 25,000 images.

Intercomp
intercompracing.com
(800) 328-3336
MSRP: $369.99

Read the rest of the story

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
5/21/18 2:11 p.m.

I'm not entirely sure how often I'd find a need to use it, but that seems awesome

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/21/18 2:13 p.m.

Isn't there devices that plugin to your phone now also?

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
5/21/18 2:30 p.m.

So it's not mounted on the tip of a car-to-car missile?...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/21/18 2:46 p.m.
Jaynen said:

Isn't there devices that plugin to your phone now also?

yep, called flir one. Much cheaper ($200), and been around for 3-4 years at least.

https://www.amazon.com/FLIR-Thermal-Imaging-Camera-Android/dp/B071NZRJD6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526931947&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=flir+one&psc=1

That's the 3rd gen.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/21/18 2:48 p.m.

See the source image

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
5/22/18 4:14 p.m.

Nice nice nice.

Arduino or Rasberry Pi or somebody like that now has a $40 board with a 16x16 (or something in there) IR sensor array and a cable to connect it to the Arduino or Pi or whichever microprocessor board on a fast bus.  AND a coding template to support displaying the output as a color-coded heat map on a video screen.  And I'm pretty sure the microprocessor board can record the data.

This has me excited about the possibilities of a DIY on-track real-time tire surface temp recorder for less than the cost of a single corner balance session at the race shop.  Unfortunately, the obligations of my daily life keep interfering with my time to explore my hobbies, so it's just a vague notion for now.

te72
te72 Reader
5/23/18 12:34 a.m.

That is substantially better priced than the one I saw from Snap On, little surprise. Wonder how sensitive it is? Snap On guy told me that he used it to identify that the windows in his house were in dire need of better caulking. Seemed like a neat use of the thing. I couldn't justify their price, though this Intercomp unit... maybe.

Truly, I just wanna see if my ducting and airbox ideas are working. The ducting seems to do well, but the air box is quite warm, likely due to the compressor outlet pipe running right through it. Perhaps I should redesign that this summer...

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
5/23/18 1:50 a.m.

Yeah, totally cool (/pun) to have actual temp imaging. 

This unit, like the units sold as add-ons for smart phones, have far lower numbers of pixels than the phone's camera.  $400 gets you typically 160x120px IR, vs. your phone's visible light sensor being literally 20x sharper in each direction, but they cleverly overlay the pictures over phone cam picture so that you can see what you were thermally looking at.  Which is generally good enough!  Or it was for the Predator.  And why does everyone forget that the effect was used way earlier in Wolfen?

If you need better resolution, just get closer to the thing you were measuring.  And up to 575F is enough for most situations.  160F is too hot for autocross tires to be happy, and hotter than you can lay your hand on a piece of metal unless you have welder's callouses.  Oh, and JBasham, a couple of Harbor Freight $25 infrared thermometers for your inside/outside tire edges is probably WAY easier to implement than one of these things.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
5/23/18 2:01 p.m.

Thanks, we tried the HF IR thermometers for real-time on-track temp recording.  But the hamsters we trained to sit by the displays and jot down the heat readings in real-time kept getting bounced loose from the lower control arms in the brake zones, and liquefied by the rear wheels.  It's a drag, because the little Nomex suits cost us a fortune to get custom made, and we're paying lifetime disability benefits to their 866 children.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/23/18 3:53 p.m.

Hopefully someone appreciated the Rush reference. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w1OEnkFyKxrtahfrqZKj9rc6iaR2KfJ6LF7OBR2Et8ifhlQeAbDzuJFZsfThRUCW