RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
12/30/13 11:19 a.m.

One of the screw holes on my Alfa 164's front intake manifold is stripped, so the intake runner won't tighten down all the way. The manifolds, like most of the engine, are aluminum. I've been looking into steel inserts to fix the problem and found two options: Helicoils and time-serts. Any opinions on which is better or easier to use? Are there any other alternatives I should consider? The runner screw holes in the intake manifolds are open at the bottom.

theenico
theenico New Reader
12/30/13 11:25 a.m.

Helicoils are faster/easier and Timeserts are much stronger. If you're looking for a long-term solution, go with the Timeserts.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/30/13 11:26 a.m.

I've used time-serts pretty successfully to repair the threads in an aluminum head.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/30/13 11:27 a.m.

You could always tap it for the next size of fastener.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/30/13 11:36 a.m.
theenico wrote: If you're looking for a long-term solution, go with the Timeserts.

Properly done, a helicoil will last forever.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
12/30/13 12:10 p.m.

If it has coolant behind it than a helicoil may never seal up well, otherwise either is probably fine.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/30/13 12:37 p.m.

I helicoiled one of the exhaust studs on my volvo... worked well and with a harbor freight 90* drill didn't have to pull the head out even... has held for the last 2 years or so without issue but never messed with your other option

Leafy
Leafy Reader
12/30/13 12:40 p.m.

Helicoil first, timecert if the helicoil fails.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/30/13 3:01 p.m.

Helicoil is FAA approved, so its plenty good. If you have enough meat around the hole, a solid insert is a little better.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
12/30/13 3:16 p.m.

I've Helicoiled many, many holes over decades, some with pretty significant loads. As long as you have enough engagement, helicoil will be much, much stronger than the original parent metal threads.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
12/30/13 4:27 p.m.

I've used hundreds of both due to other so called pro's messing up jobs. Most of the time it comes down to wall thickness you have available and how critical the center of the hole is. If you mess up a timesert your done they will not come out. if you blow the center on a helicoil you can redrill and use a timesert if you can move the center to where it needs to be normal requires a milling machine.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
12/30/13 8:49 p.m.

I've never used a timecert, but I've done dozens and dozens of helicoils, many on structural or otherwise mission critical places successfully. Including one that by rights shouldn't have worked, but did; a terribly blown out spark plug hole in a Mazda industrial engine. There was barely anything left the tap to cut, and it went in crooked, but the helicoil still went in and held just fine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6gukxV1RuYYZFjfUMMOI3APWbgodPDy09H8SrdyveT13hfsdmbDSDUzzDa3uY0iF